Ludwig vistalite or classic maple

Ransan

I am getting a wild hair of trading or selling my ruby vistas and have seen at my local music store a 6 piece Ludwig classic maple shell Monroe badges set in black sparkle, drum guy says there from the 70s, did they make classic maples then? The sizes looked to be 10,12,13,14 all hanging on RIMs and 20 kick (no snare). I’m not to thrilled about the sizes but easily could find a matching snare and 16 floor tom, on the other hand I am driving myself crazy looking for ruby vista concert toms, melodic sizes in 6” and 8”(not reissued) on the market and ruby snares are as much as an lm400, which is burning me out, and lacking these components, making me think my kit is incomplete.
I love the warmth and sensitivity the LCMs produce and being made with all maple 7 plys that has me wanting that over keystone x which has loud oak within the 5 plys.
Due to being determined (hopelessly) and having no such luck on the octaplus config building- I am thinking of trading or selling my ruby vistalite kit.
Am I crazy for wanting to do that?
If so am I crazy for wanting to get rid of a rare colored vintage kit, should it be more coveted by me for the LCMs?
Am crazy to think that they will go for a trade?
Maybe this urge will pass but each day I am getting the knack to do so.

If I should sell myself, it would most likely be on reverb, eBay instead (will not break up kit) as that drives me crazy finding in my searches as well, but yet contradicting self looking for two toms.
I am assuming most of you have seen my kit on a thread or two.
Thank you for your thoughts and insight-

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Maybe you're realizing the vistas are, for lack of a better term, one-trick ponies. I had a solid black vista lite from 1978 that sounded amazingly woody to people who didn't know they were plastic, but that's as far as I've gone. If you're talking a see-through ruby octa-plus kit, I'm not sure where you could use those all the time.

Of course, I'm thinking in terms of working with other people. If you don't do that, then of course, play whatever you want. But I remember when Ron Tutt brought out a green vistalite kit when he played for Elvis, and although Elvis never said so, Ron Tutt felt it bugged him, so he went back to his blue sparkle Ludwigs, and Elvis was happier after that. So I'm always thinking in terms of what would make the people I work with happier. A black double-headed kit will fit into more situations than a single-headed see-through kit in my opinion, so I think it's sensible to go that route. But why not just get a new Ludwig classic maple kit in a sensible color rather than go used? They're not all that expensive to begin with.

IBitePrettyHard

I agree with Bo. Unless you're going for a truly authentic raw and imperfect vintage sound, get a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit.

They will sound amazing and won't have the quirks of the 70s kit. Everything about a new Classic Maple kit will be improvement over the vintage kit IMO. Like going from a vinyl record to a digital mp3.

The hardware will be trouble free and the tuning will be much easier.

Ransan

Hello again, just thought I would revisit and follow through on the outcome.
I have decided to keep my vistalite kit with the waning of hope that I would’ve found the two small toms that I am looking for. They may or may not even exist on the market as I have only seen 1 picture on Pinterest of a 7-8 tom red vistalite kit and the toms are mostly double headed. Realizing maybe I am wasting my time, yet still determined, I have reluctantly reached out to RCI and spoke to their rep about reproduction of the 5.5x6 and 5.5x8 concert toms. Paid them and now Due to “touring season” will take 3-6 weeks to build and ship with repro badges (I am ok with this as I do not have intent of selling this kit once complete, (but if I have to the kit will not be listed as born together due to the last toms). Maybe now I will get the satisfaction and closure for my childhood dream - though it seems like it is a short cut to the finish. So for the foreseeable future no classic maple kit for now :( However this project’s Pictures will ensue.

Attachments

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Ransan, brother, you are LONG overdue for a change of drumheads! I'll bet you would be gobsmacked by the improvement that some new clear batter heads would make for that kit. It's a beautiful kit, and well worth the investment.

And you should have no shame for having the two other toms made for you. Heck, you've worked for years now to find some, and they are just not out there. You made the right decision.

LM400s are readily available all over ebay.

GeeDeeEmm

Ransan

Ransan, brother, you are LONG overdue for a change of drumheads! I'll bet you would be gobsmacked by the improvement that some new clear batter heads would make for that kit. It's a beautiful kit, and well worth the investment.

And you should have no shame for having the two other toms made for you. Heck, you've worked for years now to find some, and they are just not out there. You made the right decision.

LM400s are readily available all over ebay.

GeeDeeEmm
Yessr that is on my list, these heads look as old as I am mid 30s. I am not sure if I want to buy the new old stock of the silver dot or the remo cs (though I do like the look of the remo cs dot starting out small 6” and increasing in diameter with the shells unlike the silver dots. The silver dots being generally the same size or marginal across shell diameter, on the other hand give me a broader target for attack which I like as well). I am waiting for remo colortone series with cs dot - maybe?

Thanks gdmoore28

Mustion

Yessr that is on my list, these heads look as old as I am mid 30s.
Probably older, even!
New heads will make a world of difference as even the same style i.e. CS black dots have generally been improved upon so much over the years.

Ransan

Stoked to update - I received the 5.5x6 and 5.5x8 concert toms fromRCI yesterday evening when I got in from work. Overall I am impressed as my concern was sound, and color match, but the ruby looks spot on. The bearing edges look to be 45, as opposed to the original flat/30 hybrid, or well rounded design: aesthetically, they look like the originals, Wally on YouTube is right on the money with the seam specs. One thing I love is that the seams are not aligned with the clip mounts, (originals are) and as tiny as the things are will not crack at that pressure point. For posterity I took side by side with an original tom 6.5x10. Also you will notice the B/O repro badges, this may be ethics but for my comfort I wanted them on, Romano at RCI was kind enough to mark repro inside the badge in permanent marker (bless his heart-no, seriously). Now on to find clip mounted stands, wish me luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Ransan

It is finally complete! The Big Red Machine.
All cleaned up and ready for illustration.
Project:
6” and 8” concert toms made by RCI
16” double headed floor tom pointy B/O badge serial #106xxxx from eBay auction
Additional Hercules stands for my configuration purposes.
Remo CS dot on toms, and Powerstroke 3 CS dot on the bass (I am impressed with how the PS3 really controls the bass drum, don’t even feel need the felt strip that I got)
Bought some new Sabian pies as well, kinda like the updated branding by the way.
One thing that sticks out now -
Can I use model paint to touch up bass drum hoops?
F3B29F1D-E7B6-4CA1-A4C6-EEA52F89D577.jpegE7FD3557-5BDD-4984-B73C-794639F25974.jpeg9BA5060E-DBF1-454B-A69D-15F16BBF7422.jpeg95DF98FF-6BE9-44BC-8E9F-E60292DD0068.jpegF3B29F1D-E7B6-4CA1-A4C6-EEA52F89D577.jpegE7FD3557-5BDD-4984-B73C-794639F25974.jpeg9BA5060E-DBF1-454B-A69D-15F16BBF7422.jpeg95DF98FF-6BE9-44BC-8E9F-E60292DD0068.jpegBE3B9688-F75B-4608-B467-EA85BFDCDB7C.jpeg

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
First, that's an incredible drum set! Holy smokes!

I have no idea what I'd do with a drum set like that.

Ransan

Thanks for checking it out and commenting PorkPie - I really appreciate it. I ran into a black cortex octaplus around ‘97 when I was 14 or so at Music Mann in Amarillo and dreamed ever since.