Ludwig supraphonic or Rogers dynasonic 14x6.5 snare drum

x1503

I'm stuck Between these two snares..there both brass and 14x6.5..which one would you recommend because I can get them at equally the same price

Attachments

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Both are great drums. But I lean towards the Ludwig only because the Rogers is over 30 years old at this point and parts are very difficult to find should you need them for that strainer. And if you did a retrofit with a new strainer, then it's no longer a Dynasonic. But if Rogers was still in business, I'd take that in a heartbeat! I played one in college and loved it (a Big R 5x14 model).

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
The throw off on the Rogers is one of the MOST dependable snare drum throw offs ever, and that includes the modern high end versions from a number of different companies. As for the frame and wire set, well, the frame never goes bad. Wires are available from Puresound, (again, so Ive heard). I would imagine your price range is 300-450 USD on the two drums. I have 12 Rogers Dyna-Sonic snare drums that range from 1963-84. All of them have the Rogers snare frame with original or Puresound Dyna-Sonic wire sets. Properly set up, the Dyna is a pure element of joy.

As for the Supra, not enough can be said for it.

Both are equally good drums.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm stuck Between these two snares..there both brass and 14x6.5..which one would you recommend because I can get them at equally the same price
The Supra is generally an aluminum shell, although it is available in brass. Make sure you're looking at a brass one when comparing.

Both great drums whether brass or not.

Bermuda

MikeM

Platinum Member
I had a big R 6.5x14 Dynasonic steel back in the early '80s. I wasn't terribly keen on it, but then again, I was young and didn't "get" the finer points of it's snare frame gizmo. Bottom line is that it wasn't tripping my trigger (and I wasn't thinking of its future value as a collectible) so I sold it.

I now have an LM402 (among others) that is unsurpassable as far as I'm concerned and it's such a simple and common drum. If you're looking at brass, then that's different. I'd probably still do the Ludwig, though.

x1503

Thanks everyone who replied...yeah I got the ludwig brass snare for 350 in great condition with no scratches or anything..this is my first tube lug snare as well so hopefully it can be cranked somewhat high enough not to mess it up...