Ludwig Speed King Question

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I came on here today after googling for tips to fix the squeak in my speed king. I need to get rid of it as I mic my kit from the back of the bass drum right next to the pedal and its driving me insane. I dont have a hole in the front of the kit and as I play in a vintage tribute band I do this so that no mics are visible on the front (very important)

Will WD40 on the sections shown in the picture above get rid of the squeak?

Thanks
WD 40,is the last thing you want to use.the WD in WD 40 means "water displacement",and it's not a true lubricant.Try just a little Lithium grease,or a graphite based gun grease like "gun slick" or lock grease,they work much better.

Steve B

JENGLISH817

I came on here today after googling for tips to fix the squeak in my speed king. I need to get rid of it as I mic my kit from the back of the bass drum right next to the pedal and its driving me insane. I dont have a hole in the front of the kit and as I play in a vintage tribute band I do this so that no mics are visible on the front (very important)

Will WD40 on the sections shown in the picture above get rid of the squeak?

Thanks
This is a pretty informative video for SK maintenance.

http://youtu.be/S10b5ffBwUQ

groove1

Silver Member
Ref the squeeks: I played a Speed King from 62 through 83 and put a drop of oil in all the
strategic spots...kept it quiet and I believe made it even faster!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
If you're in a Beatles trib band, and if you want to be authentic,then you better sit down.Although Ringo used a SK initally with the fab four,he and lots of pro drummers of the time, switched to the ASBA Caroline model pedal.Check it out.It was state of the art at the time.

Sorry but ASBA,a French company,went out of business in the 80's,and although Ludwig bought the rights to manufacture the pedal,the dies and blueprints were destroyed in the move to Monroe,S.C.,so they are no longer available,unless you find a used one on Ebay.Reverse engineering is a lot more expensive than you think.

Steve B
I have an ASBA. Make me an offer...hehehe.