Ludwig Neusonic

gaddgod

Alright guys, there is another kit that I'm looking at now
(other thant the Genista Maple) : Ludwig Neusonic 12-16-22. Anybody owns or plays this kit ? Any comments ?

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
I have not played the Neu-Sonic series, but I have heard audio recordings and seen photos. First of all, there's the issue of build quality; for a $1000-dollar drum set, it's not that great. The finish isn't very well-done, they use crappy Remo UT (made-in-Taiwan) drum heads, and bass drum spurs are flimsy. Secondly, the sound isn't that great. I don't know what it is about Ludwig floor toms, but they always have WAY too much sustain, and the Neu-Sonic is no exception. I can tell that the sound engineer used a noise gate on the drums in the demo video. Aside from the floor tom sound, the drums are VERY bright, with tons of attack, and hardly any low end, possibly owing to the cherry wood plies in the shells.
Please note that this is just my own personal opinion, and don't let it discourage you from trying or buying these drums. Really, what it comes down to is that Ludwig sets the bar so high for quality and sound, and the Neu-Sonic IMO doesn't stand up to the rest of their product line.

gaddgod

I have not played the Neu-Sonic series, but I have heard audio recordings and seen photos. First of all, there's the issue of build quality; for a $1000-dollar drum set, it's not that great. The finish isn't very well-done, they use crappy Remo UT (made-in-Taiwan) drum heads, and bass drum spurs are flimsy. Secondly, the sound isn't that great. I don't know what it is about Ludwig floor toms, but they always have WAY too much sustain, and the Neu-Sonic is no exception. I can tell that the sound engineer used a noise gate on the drums in the demo video. Aside from the floor tom sound, the drums are VERY bright, with tons of attack, and hardly any low end, possibly owing to the cherry wood plies in the shells.
Please note that this is just my own personal opinion, and don't let it discourage you from trying or buying these drums. Really, what it comes down to is that Ludwig sets the bar so high for quality and sound, and the Neu-Sonic IMO doesn't stand up to the rest of their product line.
Thanks for your reply ! I have seen and heard similar things on youtube. They cleary wanted to reduce the price and to do so, they need to cut somewhere. Granted change of heads is necessary : 150$ more to the kit right there. I hope someone played them and can tell us more about the sound and feel.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
You should try them for yourself. I worked with them at length during the last two NAMM shows, and they sound great, even with the cheap heads!

I sort of agree about the finishes, they're limited, and I really only like the black 'wrap'. But, I don't use drums for their finish. As for the tom sustain, I'd say they're just right. I'd much rather deal with a longer decay, than get no life at all from them (there are already tons of drums that don't sing.)

And yes, the spurs are light and not adjustable. But if you don't mount a tom on the kick, it doesn't really matter. The kick won't move (my Signets have the same spurs and it's never been a problem, even with my installing a mount and using a tom on the kick.) I have a simple hack for the spur height in case that's an issue.

I understand about the cost of new heads, but you're going to buy new heads at some point anyway, no matter what kit you buy. Most of the kits in the under-$1000 ranger will have those same, cheap heads, and you're facing the same problem.

They're worth checking out, and make sure you are allowed to play with the tuning a bit if they don't happen to sound great.

Bermuda

gaddgod

You should try them for yourself. I worked with them at length during the last two NAMM shows, and they sound great, even with the cheap heads!

I sort of agree about the finishes, they're limited, and I really only like the black 'wrap'. But, I don't use drums for their finish. As for the tom sustain, I'd say they're just right. I'd much rather deal with a longer decay, than get no life at all from them (there are already tons of drums that don't sing.)

And yes, the spurs are light and not adjustable. But if you don't mount a tom on the kick, it doesn't really matter. The kick won't move (my Signets have the same spurs and it's never been a problem, even with my installing a mount and using a tom on the kick.) I have a simple hack for the spur height in case that's an issue.

I understand about the cost of new heads, but you're going to buy new heads at some point anyway, no matter what kit you buy. Most of the kits in the under-$1000 ranger will have those same, cheap heads, and you're facing the same problem.

They're worth checking out, and make sure you are allowed to play with the tuning a bit if they don't happen to sound great.

Bermuda
Many thanks for your comments ! I kind of agree about sustain : you can always work on it. Same as snare ring. I prefer too much reso than the other way around. I have dealt with DW Maple floor toms which ring way longer I'm sure !

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
For $1,000 you can do a LOT better. Mapex Saturn. Gretsch Renown. I went with a Barton kit for $699. Thin light shells. Impeccable build quality. Look great. Sound great. And I spent $300 less than a Neosonic kit. I had a Mapex Saturn kit, too. I think the Mapex is better built than the Barton, but weighs a lot more. It's easier to tote the Barton's around to gigs.

Fritz Frigursson

For $1,000 you can do a LOT better. Mapex Saturn. Gretsch Renown. I went with a Barton kit for $699. Thin light shells. Impeccable build quality. Look great. Sound great. And I spent $300 less than a Neosonic kit. I had a Mapex Saturn kit, too. I think the Mapex is better built than the Barton, but weighs a lot more. It's easier to tote the Barton's around to gigs.
I think a 4pc Saturn V costs almost 2x the Neusonic, it's closer to 2000 dollars, at least the non-Tour version.

You could get a Yamaha Tour Custom though

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
No the Saturn is a lot less than that.

Here is a mint new floor display liquidation 4 piece Saturn under $1,100:
https://reverb.com/item/15212282-new-mapex-4pc-shell-pack-mapex-saturn-v-studioease-2018-red-strata-pearl-custom-wrap-awesome

The OP was looking at a 3 piece, which is around $1,100. Here are a few of the many Saturn 3 piece kits on Reverb around that price:
https://reverb.com/item/15769842-mapex-saturn-v-tour-edition-3-pc-shell-pack-black-strata-pearl-festival-demo

https://reverb.com/item/15769842-mapex-saturn-v-tour-edition-3-pc-shell-pack-black-strata-pearl-festival-demo

The Saturn is about the same price as Neusonic but a whole different level. Saturn is pro level you could tour with it around the world. It's a heavy shell as I said, but a much better alternative at that price than the Neusonic.

I think a 4pc Saturn V costs almost 2x the Neusonic, it's closer to 2000 dollars, at least the non-Tour version.

You could get a Yamaha Tour Custom though

gaddgod

We have to take into account our location since price may vary. I'm in Canada. To give a heads up, I'm paying the Ludwig Neusonic 3-pîece kit 1099$ CAN. It sells for 999$ in the U.S. I played the drums and they sound beautiful. A few drawbacks : finish and bassdrum spurs and not the best. Other than that, hard to find a better deal. Coupled with a LM402 Supraphonic snare drum, I'm more than happy with my gear.

We all have our preferences and it's ok. There are so many drum kits out there that sound good. Mapex Saturn drums don't sell for 1000$ bucks around here. We are talking about a new kit, not used stuff.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Alright guys, there is another kit that I'm looking at now
(other thant the Genista Maple) : Ludwig Neusonic 12-16-22. Anybody owns or plays this kit ? Any comments ?
I just played on a set at a shop this weekend. They sounded really good! Definitely had a Ludwig sound which I love. I didn’t AB them against anything else, but if you blindfolded me you could’ve told me they were classic maples in terms of the sound. Fit and finish looked good as well. It was the light blue set I looked at.

Fritz Frigursson

He's in Italy. Prices might be way different there.
yeah. We don't get a 3pc Saturn V around here. Only the 4pc which is 1800euros. There's the Tour edition 3pc which costs even less than the Neusonic at 990. It's strange, one of the main selling points of the Neusonic is that it's a sub 1000 dollar USA made kit while in Europe the price goes up by 400 euros.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Exactly. A made in USA Neusonic is same price as Saturn in USA even though Saturn imported from Asia. Makes economic sense that if you take that USA made product and add shipping to Europe, the price increases. But again, there ain't no comparison in build of Saturn vs Neusonic. Saturn you could take on a world tour. Neusonic may be good for occasional local gig, but it ain't gonna hold up long schlepping in and out of gigs on a weekly basis.

yeah. We don't get a 3pc Saturn V around here. Only the 4pc which is 1800euros. There's the Tour edition 3pc which costs even less than the Neusonic at 990. It's strange, one of the main selling points of the Neusonic is that it's a sub 1000 dollar USA made kit while in Europe the price goes up by 400 euros.

gaddgod

I just played on a set at a shop this weekend. They sounded really good! Definitely had a Ludwig sound which I love. I didn’t AB them against anything else, but if you blindfolded me you could’ve told me they were classic maples in terms of the sound. Fit and finish looked good as well. It was the light blue set I looked at.
The one I just bought ! Maybe a bit more attack and a darker sound to it. They sound really good. I will change all heads for Emperor coated top and Ambassador clear bottom + P3. We'll see what happens !

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Buy used.

Here's a set of Ludwig Maple Classics in the same sizes for a couple hundred more than a Neusonic. Something like this could be a forever-drum set as opposed to a good-enough-for-right-now drum set.

(Disclaimer: I am neither the seller nor affiliated in any way with the seller.)

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I played a Neusonic yesterday and I have to say, they definitely have that Ludwig sound. I didn’t like the finish or the spurs, but I thought they had more character and a more distinctive sound (unique) than the Mapex drums. I’d probably still buy a used Classic Maple, but I liked the Neusonics more than I thought I would.