Ludwig Neusonic

drumhedd

Rumors going around that they're Maple/Cherry shells in four wrap finishes, built in Monroe NC with shell pack street pricing around $1k. Also looks like there's a new import brass (or bronze?) brother to the Heirloom Stainless Steel snare drum.

Edit: added screenshot, also looks like Silver Dots might be returning? Unless those are just Remo CS Black Dots with a funny lighting thing going on.

Attachments

drumhedd

Ludwig Drums has announced the release of a new series of USA-made drums, the NueSonic Series, which will launch at this year’s NAMM show.

The new series is a “sensibly-priced mid-range kit” that consists of a hybrid 6ply maple/cherry wood shell that produces a warm tone, with the denser cherry giving it extra muscle when needed.

NeuSonic drums are built in Ludwig’s Monroe USA factory using the same equipment that produced shells for legendary artists such as Ringo Starr and John Bonham.

The new range is available in two classic configurations and come fitted with the Triad isolating suspension mount as standard.

Configurations:
– DownBeat Shell Pack: 20×14”, 12×8” and 14×14”
– Fab Shell Pack: 22×16”, 13×9” and 16×16”
Plus add on drums.

Finishes available include Skyline Blue, Aspen White, Sugar Maple and Black Cortex.

https://mifocus.co.uk/2018/01/22/namm-show-2018-ludwig-nuesonic-drum-series-active-music/

Pros: the finishes look great and are durable. It's nice to have some solid colors instead of the cheap, fake looking bursts and sparkles usually found on low/mid priced kits. It's also made in the US with high-quality tonewoods. The hardware also looks great, and isn't over-engineered like some of the ATLAS stuff (IMO). Low mass, high resonance. Dig it.

Cons: as is the case across the board with midlevel kits these days, the size options are extremely limited. The Centennial series offered at least 4 different bass drum sizes, rack toms from 10 to 14, and floors from 14 to 16. Sadly, it seems we won't get a budget Bonham-sized kit, which is kind of what I was hoping for. No matching snare drums either.

Attachments

RobertM

Platinum Member
Tom mount looks like Josh's from INDe Drums--at least from this admittedly inadequate image. Looks, too, like the hole spacing could fit an INDe replacement mount.

I'm assuming "Sugar Maple" is not a wrap finish but a veneer wood outer layer?

drumhedd

Tom mount looks like Josh's from INDe Drums--at least from this admittedly inadequate image. Looks, too, like the hole spacing could fit an INDe replacement mount.

Yeah, I believe all four wraps are formica. The tom mount appears to be the Triad mount first seen on the Signet series, which Josh designed, so no surprise there.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I think it is a wrap called "Sugar Maple".

OldReliable

I think this is a good move for Ludwig to put these out, and they’re made in the USA no less! The wraps could definitely be more interesting, but the main thing I want in a kit is it to sound good, and I bet these will! I’m curious if you could custom order the standard wraps for the USA kits on these for an upcharge?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
But then you'd be up in same price as next step in Ludwig line.

I think this is a good move for Ludwig to put these out, and they’re made in the USA no less! The wraps could definitely be more interesting, but the main thing I want in a kit is it to sound good, and I bet these will! I’m curious if you could custom order the standard wraps for the USA kits on these for an upcharge?

mikyok

Platinum Member
They'd probably do that for you. Always cheaper to order the wrap and put the graft in.

The snare is intriguing, not sure if it's brass/copper/bronze. A metal Ludwig snare looks odd without the centre bead.

indedrum

Looks like a good new product. From what I can tell, they are all formica-style "cortex" finishes. Nice and durable. They are molded with the shell which is the big cost saver here. I actually tried to do that with the Signet stuff, but concerns about scrap cost killed it (if it is damaged in the mold, it is not repairable). Hopefully they have that stuff figured out. Otherwise, it looks like the lugs from their Evolution series, (a bit of a clumsy interpretation of a mini classic lug IMO), and the spurs and suspension brackets I designed for Signet. In the video, thin looking shells, but sharp bearing edges reduces the benefit of that.

Looks promising, and I am glad to see a new Made in the USA product coming from Ludwig.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I should be hands-on with them today, will report back tonight!

Bermuda

drumhedd

I should be hands-on with them today, will report back tonight!

Bermuda
Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

The drums sounded great in the teasers, especially the toms- very musical. I think these will appeal to a lot of the folks who were fans of the Club Date SEs.

Fusssion

Thanks Bermuda ... are those the 'super mini' classic lugs as found on the 'Evolution' kits? That's what they look like at least ....

Looking forward to your feedback!

charliedrummer

Can someone tell me more about the spurs used on this particular kit? It's difficult to see them in the limited photos posted so far. Are they telescoping or adjustable in length in some other way? They look a little more substantial than the gull wing spurs used on the current Club Date series but not as beefy as the spurs on the Classic Maple kits.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Also looks like there's a new import brass (or bronze?) brother the Heirloom Stainless Steel snare drum.
Slightly OT: Somehow I've managed to miss the whole Heirloom Series thing. Interesting looking drums. Unusual to see an Imperial lug on an imported snare. Where are they made?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Looking forward to checking these out Thursday. The spurs look like what was available on the Signet kits.

drumhedd

Slightly OT: Somehow I've managed to miss the whole Heirloom Series thing. Interesting looking drums. Unusual to see an Imperial lug on an imported snare. Where are they made?
I think the shells are seamed Taiwanese-made, but I believe the drums are assembled in the US... not 100% sure, maybe Bermuda could corroborate this?