Ludwig Classic Maple Snare - New or Used

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm looking at picking up a Ludwig classic maple snare, and wondering if there's any reason 'not' to buy used. I have my eye on a candidate from 97'. Any reason I should go new instead besides warranty?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Assuming that you are able to look at and play the drum in person before the purchase, I say go for it. The price difference should be significant between that drum vs a new one. Ludwig has and does make good snare drums.
I would just check for any signs of damage to the shell, the bearing edges and the hardware including the hoops.
Post some pics. if you get it!

P.S. Once an instrument has been played or owned by someone other than yourself it it's "used" so how well it was taken care of is the real issue.

wildbill

Platinum Member
... Any reason I should go new instead besides warranty?
Well - there's always that 'new snare drum feeling'. But that tends to wear off pretty quickly.
If you buy a good used one, over time, there's not much difference.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Yeah - providing the drum wasn't abused, going used is not a bad idea. Although I've seen new Ludwig snares on eBay and they are very pretty. Some of those new 6.5x14 snares are just stunning, and should sound great too.

But not all of us have $700 of disposable income, yes?

And sometimes a drum that has been played for a few years and broken in is good to have - it'll be nice and consistent for you!

KamaK

Platinum Member
Cross your fingers for me then. Going for a 5x14 that matches my Gretsch kit's finish for $185.

I'm hoping it doesn't fall through.

But not all of us have $700 of disposable income, yes?
The problem is... I do. But that's the entirety of my disposable income. Now I have to choose between:

A new snare
or
A used snare + A used Zildjian A Custom 20" china + A Gibraltar 9000 series boom stand.

Money doesn't solve problems, it just creates new ones.

Last edited:

drumhammerer

Silver Member
well, the Ludwig maple snares made prior to '98 (and after '76 or '77), have a thicker shell (3/8" thick), so if you want a thicker shell Ludwig you will have to buy used. I have one that's 6.5X14 from '89, and it kicks ass. I like it a bit better than the thinner shells in that depth. The 5X14 snares from that era are pretty rare, and if it's a thicker shell, I dunno how well the thicker shell would work in that depth. They can be had for pretty cheap though, since they're not that sought after at this time.

Superman

Gold Member
I've bought a lot of used equipment over the years. Some can't be helped (my 60's Dynasonic snare) and some were just great finds (my Pearl Reference snare). The new to me feeling is just as good as a new out of a box feeling. Just carefully inspect it. The good thing about buying off CL is you can also get a feel for the person selling it which is sometimes just as reassuring, or alarming lol. Good luck.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I had one of those back in the early 90's. Great sounding drum with good projection and a nice crack to it.

I found the stock ludwig snare strand was kinda sloppy sounding (like beads or pebbles) for the drum. The tone opened up a bit when I switched to an aftermarket set. You might find the same if the original wires are still on the drum.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thanks for the info and replies. Trying to sort out how to pay for a remote craigslist item. I'm leaning toward Paypal, he's leaning toward money-order. I tend to reserve money-orders for Nigerian Princes trying to get their gold safe now that the revolution is over ;-).

Worst case scenario is that I end up with a new one for ~$500

KamaK

Platinum Member
Woohoo!

We ultimately settled on adding up the drum + shipping + eBayFees and put it on the bay.

Interior stamp indicates Dec of 97'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161573546619

I'll attach glamor shots once it shows up and I've thrown some nice heads on it.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Snare arrived today. I took a quick assessment of the bearing edges and hardware. The hardware is going to need a little bit of TLC, but nothing beyond a normal clean and shine.. I put some stock heads on it and will be putting it through the paces tonight.

Glamor shots!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I at times wonder about used gear until the other day I figured out my Gretsch Renown are 7 years old. Immaculate condition because I take care of them and don't gig, but still 7 years old. And you could have had my Gretsch Renown 14 x 5 Satin black snare for less. Oh well

KamaK

Platinum Member
I at times wonder about used gear until the other day I figured out my Gretsch Renown are 7 years old. Immaculate condition because I take care of them and don't gig, but still 7 years old. And you could have had my Gretsch Renown 14 x 5 Satin black snare for less. Oh well

It's amazing how well gear holds up when you care for it and keep it at the right humidity. When you see pics of my music room, there's a 75 Les Paul, a JMI era VOX AC30, and a 79-ish Marshall JMP that have a couple billion miles and well over 3000 live gigs on them. They are still are in remarkable condition, and I look forward to the day my children take enough interest to play them.

And don't worry about the snare... My fun-budget is ~3 a month. I may end up with that snare yet. I really need to find my inner Ringo first.

ron s

Kamak,
Nice buy!
I recently picked one up just like that but mahogany stain.
I had a bit of an issue trying to tame the overtone- at medium tuning the drum has a weird overtone that can be heard with or without the snares on.
I settled for a higher tuning and half a moongel. Maybe I should tune the resonant head lower??
The other issue is that since it has 10 lugs, the one where my stick tends to come down keeps de-tuning on me.

Please let me know how yours sounds and what you settle on for heads/tuning etc.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I recently picked one up just like that but mahogany stain.
I had a bit of an issue trying to tame the overtone- at medium tuning the drum has a weird overtone that can be heard with or without the snares on.
I settled for a higher tuning and half a moongel. Maybe I should tune the resonant head lower??
The other issue is that since it has 10 lugs, the one where my stick tends to come down keeps de-tuning on me.
Ron,

Take a listen to this and see if the tuning and overtone are similar to what you're getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX920nBug0s

Man, I sure wish I were good at this instrument.

Like my other Ludwig snares, I'm using:
LW3314 (Snare Batter Medium Coated)
C1114 (Snare Resonant Head Clear Xthin)
L1930 (20 Strand Snare Wires)

I find the overtone that I hear to be endearing and not really a nuisance, though I guess beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Oh... and Lug-Locks. Tiny plastic square thingy. You really only need two of them.

ron s

I listened to the sound files. it seems mine does have a bit more "ring" to it, although it appears to be the same drum in a different color.

I have a Ludwig head that I might try this weekend.

The overtone or "ring" diminishes as I tighten the batter head, so I don't feel the need to use a moongel at higher tunings.

I agree that the overtone is part of the maple snare sound. My guitar player/soundman has me wary of any overtone since he doesn't like it when he mikes the snare. I usually turn the muffler on my Acro for sound check and loosen it as the night goes on to open up the drum.

KamaK

Platinum Member
My guitar player/soundman has me wary of any overtone since he doesn't like it when he mikes the snare. I usually turn the muffler on my Acro for sound check and loosen it as the night goes on to open up the drum.
You might be able to compromise a bit by aiming the 57 at the center of the snare where there is no/little overtone. The overtone seems to live on or near the rim on all my snares.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
it looks like this drum only has 8 lugs? Could be a classic birch if so, although it does look like the badge is gold, which indicates maple. The classic birch snares all had 8 lugs, and a silver keystone badge. How thick is the shell? Both series are great drums either way.

KamaK

Platinum Member
it looks like this drum only has 8 lugs? Could be a classic birch if so, although it does look like the badge is gold, which indicates maple. The classic birch snares all had 8 lugs, and a silver keystone badge. How thick is the shell? Both series are great drums either way.
It's definitely a classic maple, but it is the "Classic Maple Jazz Festival Limited Edition" lug configuration.

Will check the shell thickness next time I take the heads off. FWIW, serial is 3348352

ron s

Kamak,

Mine is a 10 lug- some consider this a higher end feature. My experience wit this snare is that it makes tuning a bit more of a pain because you have two more lugs to tap and get evenly tightened. It also makes it harder to quickly position the drum on a typical three armed snare stand because there are two more lugs to space out.
I do like the sound of the snare when it is tuned perfectly. I will look into lug locks- although I don't have the de-tuning issue on either of my Acrolites.