Ludwig Chrome over Wood on Craigslist

sethlowden

Once again I am looking for some thoughts and guidance on a CL drum set. :) This one is a set I actually may want to keep and use for a while. Here is a direct link to the ad:

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/msg/3866372373.html

I see the bass drum front hoop is missing, so I will ask about that, Hopefully it and the tension rods are not MIA. Looks like some cymbals and stands included, I see some Ludwiggish black plastic handled stands in the ad pix.

So: Are these decent playing drums in general? Is the price reasonable? I just don't want to lose money selling on eBay, have done pretty well so far with this kind of thing. I have a couple of other sets on the radar, but this one sort of caught my eye.

Thanks in advance!!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Worth checking out, for sure. Reflection from the rack tom inside, hmmm. Chrome-o-wood kits were wood inside. This looks stainless, which would be more valuable. T's & claws are around $60 - $100, for a set of ten. A front hoop, $25 - $50. Least around here.​
Look on eBay (search Ludwig stainless .... and Ludwig chrome-o-wood). That will give you an idea of what's out there, right now. The main concern ..... the seller says "refurbished". What does that mean? Or ..... how good a job did he do? A botched refurbish could totally negate the value of the kit, to a collector.​

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Those look like Stainless Steel shells to me.

Those are/were cool drums, if they are in nice shape, I'd snag them, but what was refurbished?? It could be the pics, but the badge color looks a little off...could be "new" badges (that sell on eBay) with no serial numbers. That would negate a collector buying them, but 500 seems like an alright price for a SS kit with a snare.

The stands in the back look like early Hercules. Those had a smaller top tube than the later version (I like these better myself).

Claws and T handles aren't too expensive, but if you were going to sell these later, definitely get actual Ludwig parts for better resale. Hoops are usually fairly easy to get.

Let us know what happens!!!

sethlowden

Worth checking out, for sure. Reflection from the rack tom inside, hmmm. Chrome-o-wood kits were wood inside. This looks stainless, which would be more valuable. T's & claws are around $60 - $100, for a set of ten. A front hoop, $25 - $50. Least around here.​
Look on eBay (search Ludwig stainless .... and Ludwig chrome-o-wood). That will give you an idea of what's out there, right now. The main concern ..... the seller says "refurbished". What does that mean? Or ..... how good a job did he do? A botched refurbish could totally negate the value of the kit, to a collector.​
Good observation about the inside of the tom, usually I am more observant. I just got off the phone with the seller, she indeed said the hoop and claws are gone. I asked her to put up a pic of the bearing edge and inside of the bass drum. Comes with a crash and a ride, allegedly came with set 40 years ago when neighbor bought it originally. Hi hat set was not returned to her from flaky friend who had the set for last 4 years, He must like them. Was there a "Ludwig" cymbal that could be bought with them back then? I cannot tell if the snare is Supraphonic or not. I will think about it over night and maybe go look at it tomorrow. I kind of want a new set to tinker on...

Edit: seller says they are metal inside also. .

Those look like Stainless Steel shells to me.

Those are/were cool drums, if they are in nice shape, I'd snag them, but what was refurbished?? It could be the pics, but the badge color looks a little off...could be "new" badges (that sell on eBay) with no serial numbers. That would negate a collector buying them, but 500 seems like an alright price for a SS kit with a snare.

The stands in the back look like early Hercules. Those had a smaller top tube than the later version (I like these better myself).

Claws and T handles aren't too expensive, but if you were going to sell these later, definitely get actual Ludwig parts for better resale. Hoops are usually fairly easy to get.

Let us know what happens!!!
Karl, I asked her the same thing about the "refurbished", she texted back that meant "new heads and hardware". The tom mount looks a little sketchy to me, but I do not know about them. I do have parts left over from a Rocker set that I parted out, so I can get something to fit as far as a hoop and claws. She would not email the photos to me for some reason, but put up another photo of the bass drum at my request, should be there now. She got kind of funny on me on the phone when I complained that CL compressed the photos so heavily, so I had to change the topic really quickly before I got her mad at me. People are interesting.

Edit: definitely not chrome-o-wood. I may go look at it tomorrow

Last edited:

sethlowden

I am speculating that the seller may have found this thread. If so, hi!

She has updated the listing to change the description slightly.

I did read somewhere that not having the front hoop on the bass drum could cause a metal shell to go out of round- is that true? Also supposedly the same for vistalite?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Another stainless steel vote.Loud drums.That price is a steal for thuse drums if the're in good shape,you can't go wrong.

I agree with Karl,the badges look a little off as far as color,buy that may just be faded from too much sunlight.

I would jump on those.

Steve B

alparrott

Platinum Member
Um, may I point out, Supraphonic. It's looking to be in rough shape -- bad pitting -- but that's at least another $150 on the plate right there.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Seller added new photo's ..... yeah, that's a stainless steel kit. Look at the bearing edge on the kick. Ain't no 6 ply chrome-o-wood.​
Tom mount is typical, for that era. Center flange ..... one side missing an L-arm. Previous owned probably was a 1 up, 1 down guy. Not a big deal. The new Ludwig Stainless Pro Beat kit (24, 13, 16)..... is $979, new.​

opentune

Platinum Member
I just don't want to lose money selling on eBay, have done pretty well so far with this kind of thing.
This is a great deal.
Supraphonic.....money back on that easily.
Not sure how desired stainless is but its surely collectible .
The front hoop and T-rods easily replaced,
Last but not least if it were parted out in entirety (shells, lugs etc.) could make double the money back.

Me being a buyer, however, I hate buying all these expensive parts on ebay.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy,

alparrott

Platinum Member
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy,
+ buy, buy, buy, buy

alparrott

Platinum Member

sethlowden

Here are a couple of quick pictures. 12-13-16-24. The set is in fair shape, scuffs on bass drum, slight ding on front of 12 in tom. Looks like pit-stained wife-beater t-shirts crammed in all the shells to kill the tone dead- effectively so. Also came with heavily pitted Supraphonic snare on a swivel foot Atlas stand. Also some odds and ends. Crappy brass cymbal set. Rusty Squeak King pedal. I will have a ton of questions, starting with heads, hoops, etc etc. Thanks for looking, thanks for the advice! Also, for those who are curious like I would be, I gave her the full 500. Nice lady. Pretty obvious she needed the money, so it would have been a hollow victory to talk her down to 400 or 450. Cheers!

Attachments

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I hope you've still got your back intact after lifting those brutes.

Those are really, really cool drums. Even if they're not in perfect condition, you got an excellent price for them.