Ludwig Centennial Zep kit information

maxcolumbus

The lacquer finish on my kit held up great.
Regardless, I have moved on to a 60s Silver Sparkle
kit and I love them...seams and all. : )

If you guys have seen some of these kits with seams then I'm thinking that Ludwig might have moved to wrapping these shells later in the run.
I do know that they also discontinued some of the shell sizes towards the end of the line. Mine were ordered from Sweetwater in late 2010, I had the 24X20 bass drum and I believe it was not available after a year or two. I also remember trying to fond a 13 tom and it was basically unobtainable.

Good thread!

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I know that this is an old thread resurrected, but I've have my Centennials for a few months now and I absolutely love them! American maple shells for this price? Sign me up.

Yes, it's VERY difficult to find sets of these used and for good reason. This is my travel/recording set.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If you guys have seen some of these kits with seams then I'm thinking that Ludwig might have moved to wrapping these shells later in the run.
It could be. I saw a kit with such an obvious seam I did a double take just to make sure because I'd always believed they were sparkle lacquer, not a wrap. But it was clearly a wrap.

welshrugbyfan

My green ones is the one in this post, the green sparkle one with the Bonzo decal on the front.

They are definitely lacquered, this is my field of expertise so to say as I used to lacquer drums, guitars and pianos amongst other things for a job.

The finish is the first thing I can't help but look at and these are flawless.

On the clear lacquered ones the color was a bit different to other maples I've seen around and not as much grain showing but still a beautiful lacquer job.

Last edited:

jdavis

Bringing up this old thread because the Centennials are GC's Daily Pick today:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daily-Pick.gc

26 x 14 in. kick drum, 14 x 10 in. rack tom and 16 x 16 in. and 18 x 16 in.floor toms
in red sparkle

$899.99
I saw those too. So, you guys who've had these for a while, are they still a good deal? Any problems or comments?

EDIT: I just saw that the price is for the red sparkle kits only - all the other colors are still $1199.

However, they have a 20% off coupon available that should bring the price of the other colors down to $959. So, for an extra $60 you can get any of the other colors and have a little more time to buy them than just today.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've had my Centennials for a year or two, and I really like them. I would love to possibly get the kick cut from a 20" x 20" to a 20" x 14", but I'm too afraid that I wouldn't like it. They sound great and I've had no problems.

From what I understand, these are USA maple shells that they ship overseas and are outfitted with cheaper hardware. But like I said, I've not had any issues with mine. I love them!

I would love to find an 18" floor tom in charcoal that matches.

Bonzodownunder

FWIW/IMHO&HO (honest&humble opinions) i've owned one of the 1st "older" Centennial "Zepp" kits the ones with a 13" rack tom :(,
Instead of a/the proper 14" rack tom.These are made in Taiwan as was(still are?/is?) there ACCENT&cheaper/lower "imported" series inc snare drums.Mine was in "natural" lacquer (think Thermogloss) finish.LOVED it &had NO problems with it only reason i got rid of it was i wanted a Sleishman kit&now 5-6 yrs later i've got an original silver sparkle 70s "Bonham" sized kit!!!! :).
I wasn't a fan of then &now the wood snare that came with the older centennials it SHOULD'VE came with both a 6.5 Supra&14" rack tom!,
They're NOT available (new) here for reasons unknown! :(.

jdavis

FWIW/IMHO&HO (honest&humble opinions) i've owned one of the 1st "older" Centennial "Zepp" kits the ones with a 13" rack tom :(,
Instead of a/the proper 14" rack tom.These are made in Taiwan as was(still are?/is?) there ACCENT&cheaper/lower "imported" series inc snare drums.Mine was in "natural" lacquer (think Thermogloss) finish.LOVED it &had NO problems with it only reason i got rid of it was i wanted a Sleishman kit&now 5-6 yrs later i've got an original silver sparkle 70s "Bonham" sized kit!!!! :).
I wasn't a fan of then &now the wood snare that came with the older centennials it SHOULD'VE came with both a 6.5 Supra&14" rack tom!,
They're NOT available (new) here for reasons unknown! :(.
It's funny that you mention that. I came across one of those Accent Zep kits with the 13" tom and snapped it up. I love it. The snare's not the greatest, but I have much nicer snares that round out the kit quite nicely :)

FWIW, here's a link (with audio files) that has lots of info on these kits. Enjoy!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums-/95664-i-went-guitar-center-new-head-left-new-kit.html

wildbill

Platinum Member
Well, that was quick. When I posted the link, it said about 6 hours left for the deal.
Now both links show that they no longer carry the items.
Congrats to whoever got them.

jdavis

Well, that was quick. When I posted the link, it said about 6 hours left for the deal.
Now both links show that they no longer carry the items.
Congrats to whoever got them.
Yeah, they've gone into the ether it seems. LOL

What kits and how many did they have? Just curious.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yeah, they've gone into the ether it seems. LOL

What kits and how many did they have? Just curious.
Check post #49.

Just checked again, and now they show the Zep kit for $1,199.99
and the Moto kit for $1,299.99 - both with free shipping.

Yesterday they were both $799.99.

Sometimes with these deals, if you blink, you miss it.

Brandtwi

Bonham always had the latest drums from Ludwig. In 1976 Ludwig stopped making 3 ply drums and started making them 6 ply without the reinforcement ring. SO, that means from 1976 to 1980 Bonham was using 6 ply maple drums when he wasn't playing the stainless steel or vistlelites.
The Centennials are also 6 ply maple. There you go.

Jbravo

It's funny that you mention that. I came across one of those Accent Zep kits with the 13" tom and snapped it up. I love it. The snare's not the greatest, but I have much nicer snares that round out the kit quite nicely :)

FWIW, here's a link (with audio files) that has lots of info on these kits. Enjoy!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums-/95664-i-went-guitar-center-new-head-left-new-kit.html
I still have this Accent Zep Kit. Great drums. Now they’re my spares since I got new Classic Maples.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Old thread - Current drums - On sale.

Ludwig Centennials are on sale at Guitar Center - Dragster, Moto, and Zep.
Never really looked that close at the differences before, but the sizes are:

Dragster: 22, 12, 14, 16 - three colors at $899

Moto: 24, 13, 16, 18 - three colors at $949

Zep: 26, 14, 16, 18 - sixcolors - five are at $899 - one (blue sparkle) is at $979

Some big drums there. I guess the Motos must be most popular.
Can't see another reason for the $50 price difference.
Anyways - just a heads up. Don't know how long the sale lasts.