Ludwig Black Beauty owners, is this normal?

lukesigua

Hi guys,

Newbie here!! Glad to be finally part of this forum. Anyway.. I've had a Ludwig Black Beauty for a while now and just recently I noticed these "spots" on the shell. In the picture, they look like dust spots on the shell, but I cannot wipe them away and they're pretty consistent throughout the whole shell, except on the parts covered by the rims. Not sure if they were already there when I got it or I just wasn't paying attention. It's also worth mentioning that the shell is SMOOTH. No roughness at all. Which makes it look like the spots are "inside" the shell or the plating, if that makes sense.

The drum sounds phenomenal and is functioning perfectly. I'm also pretty sure it's legit. Just wondering if this was normal and if other owners have this as well.

I'm also open to the idea that this was exposed to something somewhere, like heat or too much moisture.

Thanks,
Luke

Attachments

Last edited:

basset52

Hi guys,

Newbie here!! Glad to be finally part of this forum. Anyway.. I've had a Ludwig Black Beauty for a while now and just recently I noticed these "spots" on the shell. In the picture, they look like dust spots on the shell, but I cannot wipe them away and they're pretty consistent throughout the whole shell. Not sure if they were already there when I got it or I just wasn't paying attention. It's actually like those spots are from the brass shell, and can be seen through the nickel plating. I know the plating is supposed to be solid black but it just feels that way.

The drum sounds phenomenal and is functioning perfectly. I'm also pretty sure it's legit. Just wondering if this was normal and if other owners have this as well.

I'm also open to the idea that this was exposed to something somewhere, like heat or too much moisture.

Thanks,
Luke
I have the same as yours with the tube lugs. Just had a quick look. I have nothing like that on mine at all - just grubby fingerprints.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Hi guys,

Newbie here!! Glad to be finally part of this forum. Anyway.. I've had a Ludwig Black Beauty for a while now and just recently I noticed these "spots" on the shell. In the picture, they look like dust spots on the shell, but I cannot wipe them away and they're pretty consistent throughout the whole shell. Not sure if they were already there when I got it or I just wasn't paying attention. It's actually like those spots are from the brass shell, and can be seen through the nickel plating. I know the plating is supposed to be solid black but it just feels that way.

Thanks,
Luke
That looks like a plating issue. I have a similar Black Beauty and I do not have that issue anywhere on my drum. Did you buy this drum new? If so, I'd take it back tomy dealer and ask them about it.

Just to understand, how did you try to remove the spots? Have you tried aluminium foil with coke? I don't remember who told me, but it works pretty well in order to remove rust and other dirt off the chrome plating.

Frosticles

Silver Member
This is just "Tarnishing" & happens over time usually when moisture gets to it. Has the shell ever been restored? If so, whoever did it may have removed the protective coating hence why this has happened. I had a brass shell which was very badly tarnished. I just rubbed it down with fine grade (2000 grit) wet & dry & that removed it all & came up like new. I then protected it with a few coats of carnauba car wax then ceramic sealant :)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
That looks like a plating issue.
That was my first thought too. I've not seen that issue on a BB before either.

It almost looks like the beginning of pitting, but that's usually an issue with chrome not bonding properly to aluminium. Nickle and brass traditionally "play well" together, so my best guess would be some sort of issue when it was electroplated.

lukesigua

I have the same as yours with the tube lugs. Just had a quick look. I have nothing like that on mine at all - just grubby fingerprints.
I see. Thanks for the reply!

That looks like a plating issue. I have a similar Black Beauty and I do not have that issue anywhere on my drum. Did you buy this drum new? If so, I'd take it back tomy dealer and ask them about it.
Unfortunately I bought this second hand overseas in a very good condition. :( My only option right now is to understand what caused it, make sure it doesn't happen again especially to my other snares, and hopefully try to remedy the issue.

lukesigua

This is just "Tarnishing" & happens over time usually when moisture gets to it. Has the shell ever been restored? If so, whoever did it may have removed the protective coating hence why this has happened. I had a brass shell which was very badly tarnished. I just rubbed it down with fine grade (2000 grit) wet & dry & that removed it all & came up like new. I then protected it with a few coats of carnauba car wax then ceramic sealant :)
I see. Thanks for the reply. I might try that!

That was my first thought too. I've not seen that issue on a BB before either.

It almost looks like the beginning of pitting, but that's usually an issue with chrome not bonding properly to aluminium. Nickle and brass traditionally "play well" together, so my best guess would be some sort of issue when it was electroplated.
So I was told. Thanks for the reply. I'll see to it!

lukesigua

With the tarnishing that happened to you though... was there any roughness? Cause with mine, the shell is smooth. It's not like outside rust or anything. Which makes it look like the "tarnishing" is "inside" the shell or the plating, if that makes sense.

IBitePrettyHard

The fact that it didn't happen underneath the rims suggests that it wasn't due to a factory issue per se. It happened afterwards due to external reasons like exposure to UV light, or maybe a weird cleaner solvent was used.....something like that.

Do these snares have a clear lacquer over the chrome finish? If so, maybe the lacquer was worn through while it was being rubbed with a cleaner solvent?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
This looks like an issue with the clear coat. There is a very thin layer of clear on the shell.
You can try and hand buff this out with some (I'd go professional grade) polishing compound.
Talk to someone who does painting on cars and does a good job on what they think you can use.

It's not in the metal though.
The clear on my '89 BB kind of looks like it's worn off in some spots, but it's not the black nickel platting that's coming off, it's the clear.
The '02 and '04 BB's I have don't have this issue happening (yet maybe?).