Ludwig Announces New Raw Brass Snare Drums

Destroyer772

Gold Member
If they are skipping the process of finishing a Drum you would think we would see some saving's. And I'm dead serious, I liked the whole raw Copper Phonic Snare thing especially the 14x8 but at over $800 for a Snare that skips the finishing process. I would think they would be a tad bit cheaper. Not being sarcastic but am I the only one that feels this way ?.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
If they are skipping the process of finishing a Drum you would think we would see some saving's. And I'm dead serious, I liked the whole raw Copper Phonic Snare thing especially the 14x8 but at over $800 for a Snare that skips the finishing process. I would think they would be a tad bit cheaper. Not being sarcastic but am I the only one that feels this way ?.

Not how the biz works. Like raw (prepared) food is more expensive than cooked food.

They charge for the process of 'thinking about' not finishing it.

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Not how the biz works. Like raw (prepared) food is more expensive than cooked food.

They charge for he process of thinking about not finishing it.
I know, my salad for lunch today cost $10.50 w/ a diet Coke.

Those drums are ugly anyways. I like shiny stuff.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Joyful Noise has been selling metal snares with a patina for $1000+ for years.

I'm glad Ludwig is stepping up on their product line. They've struggled with finding a balance between being a legacy brand and trying to offer new things, and I think their last few years have seen a positive change. While the individual additions of new alloys, sizes and finishes isn't particularly Earth-shattering, it signals a new willingness to listen to what people have been asking for for a long time.

retoxtony

I’ve always liked the look of the raw or patinaed drums so I think this one looks great. I’d prefer it with tube lugs, but I haven’t seen if Ludwig will have a version with them.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Looks like the drum world is heading through a phase the guitar world was/is in. Pre-aged equipment.

Fender and Gibson released a load of guitars that they paid someone to damage to look like a guitar belonging to someone famous and charge three times the price for it. Gibson never released a Pete Townshend 60s/70s guitar can't think why......:)

Everyone gets gig knocks it's part and parcel of gigging but you'd like to do all of that yourself without paying extra for a few to get you started!

I'm with a previous poster who said these should be cheaper as they've not spent the time on them.

Save the pennies people and get a COB Luddy. Cheaper than a BB and sounds the same (but that's another argument for another day!). Plus your snare sits between your legs which is behind the kit usually so nobody can see it.

Juniper

Gold Member
The saying 'Money for old rope' springs to mind.

Plus you can't beat the look of a finished Black Beauty.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I started CopperState Drums specifically to "age" brass and copper drums. Here's a couple examples of the differing patinas I produce. Have done a dozen or so shells for guys looking to have a 1 of 1 that sounds great too.
I do like the raw brass Ludwigs, but bet they don't sound any better than the ones I "aged".

Attachments