Ludwig 2012... Club Date is back!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks John, I glad that you like your snare and I'm sure that I will like mine when it arrives.
My Club Date kit is for the most part flawless with the smooth round edges that you describe.
These modern vintage replica drums are more accurately made than Vintage drums could ever be.
The technology to make almost perfect drums that were affordable didn't exist in the 60's.

john gerrard

Bob, thanks to you I just ordered and received a new Ludwig Element snare. I've been reading your posts. I ordered a 6.5 x 14 in ruby sparkle. I think you are going to be one happy camper when you get yours. I think I remember in one thread that you were hoping that it would have a early Slingerland vintage sound. Other that buying a vintage Slingerland snare your new Ludwig Element is going to be the ticket. I have wanted a Ludwig kit for some time but have been so reluctant because of all the shoddy Ludwig sets and workmanship I've owned and seen and read about. Now for the good news. My new snare has some of the prettiest nice round, smooth bearing edges you could imagine. The cherry wood and birch re-reings make for that nice old,vintage sound we were both looking for. The workmanship on this drum is very, very good. I don't know but there could be a new Ludwig set in my future. There is just something about the rounded bearing edges and the cherry plys, that like you just takes me back to the 60's. (yes I was there and remember some of it). Let us know how you like your drum. Best wishes. John

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Here's one in WMP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-LUDWIG-CLUB-DATE-5-X-14-SNARE-WITH-CASE-/130665670938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6c47e91a

Is this a higher priced color? This listing is more money than others when I searched.
Maybe because they ran out of drums in this color or something?...[/QUOTE

That drum is from the same store in Maine that I ordered from. I am paying less because I don't need the bag. They probably don't have that drum from the eBay ad in stock because they would have offered it to me yesterday.
I don't care about the wait, I have several nice snare drums that I enjoy playing.
Ludwig is going to drop ship directly to me when the drum is available.
I have been playing the kit since last winter without the matching snare and I like it just fine.

Thanks for looking though :)

larryz

Platinum Member
Bob - I could swear I saw a couple WMP snares available on ebay... Oh, the dreaded "6-8 week" wait that turns into much longer ..

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I got a call from Portland Maine today.
The WMP Club Date snares are on back order.
They sold their last one a few hours before I ordered mine. :(
I will have to wait 6 to 8 weeks until the next shipment.
They had several other colors in stock but that won't help me of course.
I was told that these snares are selling like crazy and they can't keep them in stock.
They are the hottest new snare that Ludwig has had for a long time.

So the old Gretsch will be busy for a while longer.
Actually I am going to move the COB Gretsch to my 6 piece studio kit.
I sold the Sonor snare that I was using there last week.

mikeo

one thing i can't understand, is why don't all ludwig drums come with the weathermaster drum heads... i mean they make their own brand of drum heads and they ship kits with those evans things... just a little beef i have

larryz

Platinum Member
Every kit needs the matching snare or it's incomplete. Like as a kid, going out of the house to school wearing 2 different socks. What took you so long? Your Gretsch snare needs to be with Gretsch shells... :)

wildbill

Platinum Member
That snare is going to look great with the kit.

Even though almost everyone uses a non-maching snare, a kit that has the same finish all around just seems somehow more 'complete'. I'm not a stickler on it though - LOL
You know you're gonna' have to post a pic or two of the whole thing.

A

audiotech

Well I couldn't hold out any longer, I just bought the matching snare on eBay from the Portland Drum Shop.
I don't know why I did it, I just did it.
I sat there for a long time before I decided.
I love this kit so much that I just had to have it.
4 ply with birch reinforcement rings.
Classic 60's vibe!
Please God let it sound like the snare that was on my first Slingerland kit from the 60's. Amen!
I may have to put some die cast stick savers on it to make that sound.

by the way Les, I gigged in a club a few days ago and I didn't bend any lugs. :)
I was careful as always with my gear while transporting.
I can't blame you one bit. I would have to do the same.

Dennis

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Well I couldn't hold out any longer, I just bought the matching snare on eBay from the Portland Drum Shop.
I don't know why I did it, I just did it.
I sat there for a long time before I decided.
I love this kit so much that I just had to have it.
4 ply with birch reinforcement rings.
Classic 60's vibe!
Please God let it sound like the snare that was on my first Slingerland kit from the 60's. Amen!
I may have to put some die cast stick savers on it to make that sound.

by the way Les, I gigged in a club a few days ago and I didn't bend any lugs. :)
I was careful as always with my gear while transporting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
The longest rods on the kit are on the bass drum and they are about 7 inches long.

Drums like these have been made by other companies such as Gretsch and Rogers over the years.

If a rod does get bowed it can be straightened with a rubber hammar with a piece of wood as a soft anvil.

The rods that you showed in your pic Les are over twice as long as the rods that are on the CDSE kits.

Again, longer rods are definitely more susceptible to being bent. Standard 4" BD rods are easy to bend during cartage, anyone who gig's a lot with a bag, or anything other than the hardest cases will probably have some bent BD rods.

Something to consider when looking at purchasing these drums, their longer rods are more susceptible to bending. 7" rods have a lot of open water, they're a big target for anything to bang into, bend.

Bending rods back into straightness with a rubber hammer is a skill a lot of us don't have the time, nor desire to master, employ.

The rods in the pic are exaggerated examples.

Anyone who gigs a lot, check their BD rods, probably have some bent ones.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The longest rods on the kit are on the bass drum and they are about 7 inches long.
They bow ever so slightly toward the bass drum shell when torqued.
This is normal and expected because the wooden hoop flexes a bit from the torque.
The fact that they flex slightly is a good thing.
The bowing gives the rod a springlike tension that gives and takes.
They straighten out completely when loosened.
Drums like these have been made by other companies such as Gretsch and Rogers over the years.
The technology is proven because many of these kits are over 40 years old and still going with the original tension rods.
If a rod does get bowed it can be straightened with a rubber hammar with a piece of wood as a soft anvil.
I have straightened hi-hat stand rods like this many times over the years.
The elongated tension rods don't worry me one bit.

The rods that you showed in your pic Les are over twice as long as the rods that are on the CDSE kits.
I could straighten those rods with my rubber hammar and a wooden anvil in a matter of moments.

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Sorry, but I really do not like the look of the one lug in the middle of the shell. It seems as though the long tension rods are whispering, "Bend me." Peace and goodwill.

I doubt many who play the club dates are going all Keith Moon on it. The rods should be ok.

It doesn't take much to bend any bass drums tension rods, happens a lot during cartage, especially with bags as opposed to the hardest of cases.

The longer rods are definitely more susceptible to bending.

Attachments

mikeo

hmmmm... that sounds cool to me... i am always up for little things that make a difference in sound.... but i do get frustrated with myself sometimes with the never ending treadmill of stuff that i think i need to get... oh by the way... i just watched a youtube video on memphis drum shop of a ludwig classic maple set with very cool shell mount brackets on the toms... maybe this style will make a comeback

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Pics of the new 2.3mm Triple Flanged Stick Saver hoops on the toms of my CD SE kit.
I am very happy with both the look and the sound of the drums with the heavier hoops.
I also like the fact that they sit slightly higher from the head.
These came from http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/
I just spent about three hours playing my kit with the new hoops.
My God!!!
These drums sound so good that I was reminded of my mid sixties Slingerland kit.
Warm and bright at the same time. Harmony between all of the components that comprise the kit.
WOW> I am a happy guy.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikeo

i thought about doing that actually.. however, i have grown to despise rims mounts so much that my only option is to go with the snare basket... i have converted to shell mount before, but i just don't feel like doing to this drum