Lou Reed and Metallica song released...

I've heard artists say things like " going in a different direction" but this is rediculous. Their last album was great. They went back to their roots and done a great " Metallica album" and they follow it up with this? Sorry but i just don't get it.

I just watched the St Anger video. I got half way through, and had to stop. Sorry, don't get it.
What snare is he playing on St Anger. I want to make sure I never buy one. :)
I think I have 2 of Metalica's songs. Just way too repetitive for me.

Sorry, but that's a horrible combination of music and lyrics. Regarding Metallica being an influential metal band, I think you need to consider bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest that paved the way for them.

i have to disagree ... kill 'em all up to ...justice were pure thrash .. look at a lot of the other bands at the time .. anthrax, exodus, testament ... most early thrash was not as fast .. slayer's 1st album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwlm-rJuM0 .. not much faster than metallica's hit the lights, motorbreath... just throwin it out there ...

but onto that lou reed thing ... to quote llamas with hats " that was horrifying to watch"

Exodus and Testament and all those guys were significantly faster than Metallica's ever been, even in their early days. Slayer was too, as monotonous as I find them... But now we're arguing tempo and that's rather pointless.

Regarding Metallica being an influential metal band, I think you need to consider bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest that paved the way for them.

Couldn't agree more....everyone follows on from what came before them.....what else can you do?

But by the same account, I've never heard the term "thrash metal" attributed to either Priest or Sabbath. Whereas Metallica were at the forefront of thrash metal at a time when that term started to emerge into the limelight. They were indeed pioneers of the genre (along with the rest of "the big four"....with honourable mentions also going to bands like Venom and any number of German/European based thrashers like Kreator et al).

When I was listening intently in the mid 80's....they were all branded "thrash metal".....not by the mainstream press.....there was no such thing......all this was still very much underground. Radio airplay for anything branded "metal" didn't come until a few years later (at least here in Oz). Surely those facts aren't being disputed 25 years after the fact? If they are, then it goes back to my original post.....it's a sad shame to see their contribution diminished all these years later by followers of bands that quite honestly, wouldn't be the same today if they hadn't sat up and taken notice of what came before them in the first place.

I just watched the St Anger video. I got half way through, and had to stop. Sorry, don't get it.
What snare is he playing on St Anger. I want to make sure I never buy one. :)
I think I have 2 of Metalica's songs. Just way too repetitive for me.

I can't get all the way through any of Metallica's songs apart from Nothing Else Matters (great track). Love him or hate him, Lars rocks in St Anger IMO - and I like his wicked, trashy snare sound too!

I don't get why people who like heavy music dis Lars for that track. Fussy fussy :)

I can't get all the way through any of Metallica's songs apart from Nothing Else Matters (great track). Love him or hate him, Lars rocks in St Anger IMO - and I like his wicked, trashy snare sound too!

I don't get why people who like heavy music dis Lars for that track. Fussy fussy :)

That snare is exactly what I try and avoid in sound for my snares. :) Nothing Else Matters is one of the songs I like of theirs also. Just wish the sound would go a little farther in the chorus. I really like big changes in songs.

That snare is exactly what I try and avoid in sound for my snares. :)

Oh, I've been listening to Gadd and Marotta and Bruford and Purdie and Bonzo and Paice and Cozy - all these guys with slick sounding snares since forever (and yes, Neil has a slick snare sound too) ... and I think I'm just about slicked out. Lars thrashing away at that trashy snare is fun in the right dose.

It's not you, it's me :)

Funny I seem to be going backwards in my old age. I am learning to better embrace the fact that there are different tastes out there to mine, and that is ok. Doesn't mean I have to like them, just means that it is cool that someone does. :)

Funny I seem to be going backwards in my old age. I am learning to better embrace the fact that there are different tastes out there to mine, and that is ok. Doesn't mean I have to like them, just means that it is cool that someone does. :)

So they can teach old dogs new tricks? ;)

Back