Losing it a bit...

Spinozalove

I've had a bit of a hard time emotionally recently and it has been relfected in my playing. Now, I have pretty good technique. I am relaxed when I play, I don't get any pain in my wrists or fingers, I haven't broken a stick, head, or cymbal in years. But recently I have been having a difficult time and I have worn the bullett proof coating off the center of a brand new aquarian snare head within the space of a week (four gigs). I have broken a pair of sticks and I am worrying about my cymbals. My drums are getting a beating if I am honest, and when I am playing I am not being very sensible about it. Just using them to get out my frustrations. But after the gig I have been getting achy wrists and I am worrying about whether or not I am going to crack a cymbal or whether I can afford to replace a snare batter everytwo weeks (which I can't). The problem is, right now, when I am playing I don't care. It is my only release at the moment.

I am really not sure what to do. It's like I either have to play through it or I would have an anxiety attack and can't play at all, letting the rest of the band down. I am sorry, I don't expect anyone to have any answers for me. I just needed to share in some way. I don't know. I just need to pull myself together.

last man to bat

hey, that all sounds like it is a bit tricky for you at the moment. I feel sure that it will all come back to the way it was. Just trust in yourself that you know what you need to do and accept that right now, you need to hit hard.

Good luck (but go easy on those cymbals)

synergy

Hey Spinozalove, sorry to here your going through difficult times

I would honestly say it sounds like it would do you good to speak to a Dr. If you dont want to go that route try a Priest/Minister/Rabbi etc if you are so inclined.

Whatever is going on is obviously enough to manifest in other parts of your life. Dealing with the damage caused to your drums is only dealing with the consequence of what is going on.

Dealing with the issue will help to remove this anger from you.

Another way to deal would be to try to change your view on what you are doing to your drums- It sounds like you are using them as a way to dispell this anger- only causing damage.

How about viewing sitting at your kit as a way to let go all this tension and anger etc- allow your playing to improve your mood etc

Hell I'm no shrink- obviously! Bang the shit out of your gear and be prepared to repair the damages to your kit- to you- your bands playing etc??

Good luck

W

wy yung

Hi mate.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Years ago I read a story about Stave Gadd performing a gig right after his wife was admitted to hospital. Apparently he played wonderfully, as if he channelled all the emotion into the music.

Back in 1995 my mother died on a Thursday. I was booked to perform on that and the following 2 nights. The show was based around backing music and dance routines. It was a show that had to be rehearsed, I couldn't get a sub'. So I thought of Gadd and did my best to use my emotion to enhance my playing. I got through it.

All I can suggest is you try to turn a negative into a positive. Good luck.

AnOasis

Been there, done that. If channeling your emotions in a positive way doesn't do the trick, TAKE A BREAK.

Spinozalove

Thanks guys. I played a gig last night and it felt a little easier. I was still hammering it but I was able to let go a bit more and enjoy it, and I felt a bit more relaxed. No aches and pains in my hands this morning. I am seeing a Dr. at the moment and hopefully things should calm down soon. I haven't got another gig until Friday now so I will do as suggested and sit down at the drums and try and relax. Maybe just practice some simple grooves and easy going stuff. I have also found in the past that books like stick control can sometimes really relax me and put me into an almost meditatve state so I might go with that this week too. If that doesn't work maybe I will just leave them alone for a couple of days while I have a break from gigs.

@wy yung: Thanks for the Gadd story and I am glad it helped you in a time of need. I will certainly think of what you have said at my next gig.

And thank you everyone for your words of advise and encouragement. Hopefully the gigs at the weekend will go well and even if things in the rest of my life remain hard, I can channel that negative feeling into playing music positively.

W

wy yung

Thanks guys.

@wy yung: Thanks for the Gadd story and I am glad it helped you in a time of need. I will certainly think of what you have said at my next gig.

And thank you everyone for your words of advise and encouragement. Hopefully the gigs at the weekend will go well and even if things in the rest of my life remain hard, I can channel that negative feeling into playing music positively.
No worries mate. Glad to help. I think we all have to stay positive in this business. Any negativity will be felt out in the audience.

These days I don't post here anymore. But health problems are causing chronic pain and reading and posting is helping to take my mind off things. Even if I am paying through the nose to do it on my phone. Yesterday I taught from 10 am through 8.30 pm and it hurt. So I just had to focus on keeping a smile on my face and being patient with my pupils. It is not easy, but things could be worse.

Keep your chin up mate.

J

Jennygirl

Hi there man,

I hope you're feeling better today.

You've got some great advice there from others and this is probably going to sound a bit random and un-drums-related but YOGA is a really great practice for releasing and managing emotional stuff. I'm training to be a teacher at the moment and use it in daily life and I can vouch for its effectiveness. If you or anyone else ever feels a bit lost on how to cope with stuff, I can recommend going and doing a class or two.

In terms of drumming, yoga can be great for that too because it helps you develop body awareness - you become more aware of your posture and of where you're holding tension. When you're aware of tension, you can consciously relax it, instead of holding onto it and building more tightness in the muscles. The body poses also help you to stretch and build strength in the body.

Keep on truckin!! I'm always reminded of the adage 'this too shall pass' in rough times.

Jen. :)