Looks or Playing Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drumfreak1987

Do you think their incredibly geekish music might have something to do with it? Steven Tyler and all of the Rolling Stones are horrific-looking, and they never had a problem attracting female listeners.

Looks actually do not matter- style does. A guy who looks like a model but dresses and acts like a frat boy is going to have a harder time of it than an marginal-looking/downright ugly person with some carisma, who carries himself like a musician.
damn right, and right on to gunterstad when he mentioned aretha and mama cass. big thumbs up for the other guys who mentioned adele, abe laboriel jr, jagger, and steven tyler, and all you others who genuinely embrace/disregard the physical differences that exist between us and look to people's character and talent.

S

sticks4drums

Do you think their incredibly geekish music might have something to do with it? Steven Tyler and all of the Rolling Stones are horrific-looking, and they never had a problem attracting female listeners.

Looks actually do not matter- style does. A guy who looks like a model but dresses and acts like a frat boy is going to have a harder time of it than an marginal-looking/downright ugly person with some carisma, who carries himself like a musician.
Geekish muisic! OUCH! I think what you meant to say was music with talent behind it, and thought put into the lyrics. :) I will meet you half way. Looks without style is shallow, and seen through easily. Style without looks is OK after about 10 beers. Looks with style, now that is a winner. :) Just ask Bon Jovi, Tom Jones, Usher, Enrique Iglesias, Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, and a thousand others that have made recording companies rich over the years.

Last edited:
B

BigSteve

Hey Midnite Zephyr, I cut out just one sentence of your post because I think that it points to part of the problem.

"They know what the media wants and doesn't want."

I really dislike this mentality in todays culture where looks seem to be of more value than other attributes a person may offer.

There are so many wonderful/talented people out there who aren't modelesque as has been pointed out in this thread. Why do we place so much emphasis on how one looks over other values or talents they may have that would be equally attractive?

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Hey Midnite Zephyr, I cut out just one sentence of your post because I think that it points to part of the problem.

"They know what the media wants and doesn't want."

I really dislike this mentality in todays culture where looks seem to be of more value than other attributes a person may offer.

There are so many wonderful/talented people out there who aren't modelesque as has been pointed out in this thread. Why do we place so much emphasis on how one looks over other values or talents they may have that would be equally attractive?
I completely agree with you, but the fact is, this mentality does exist. It happens everywhere, not just in bands. It's a perfectly imperfect world. Luckily there are plenty of people who are not like this.

B

BigSteve

I completely agree with you, but the fact is, this mentality does exist. It happens everywhere, not just in bands. It's a perfectly imperfect world. Luckily there are plenty of people who are not like this.
Amen to your last sentence. Thanks everyone for your replies...It definitely helped me get this off my chest.

Steve

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yep, Rush is geeky music for sure ... not that there's anything wrong with that ...

I think we've now completed the ground-breaking research and come to the innovative conclusion that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Here's a great quote from Alanis Morissette:
A good man often appears gauche simply because he does not take advantage of the myriad mean little chances of making himself look stylish. Preferring truth to form, he is not constantly at work upon the facade of his appearance.
Meanwhile, German poet Friedrich Schiller said, "Appearance rules the world". People are busy, they have less time to reflect, so there's less time to analyse. So we increasingly skate over the surface, grazing broadly rather than deeply.

The upshot of this is that, in some circles, if a player is fat, with bad hair and sweatpants then he's going to harm a rock or pop band's image - unless, of course, he has a fabulous personality.

On the other hand ... Steve, someone said earlier that personality might have come into your band mates' preference, not just looks ...

toddy

Platinum Member
to anyone who is fat and wants to work in the music industry... talk to yourself in a mirror.
if you can't walk into a room of 5 people and instantly create interest/command their respect then you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

basically channel your inner Cee Lo Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHioCC3yCo

swag.

B

BigSteve

Yep, Rush is geeky music for sure ... not that there's anything wrong with that ...

I think we've now completed the ground-breaking research and come to the innovative conclusion that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Here's a great quote from Alanis Morissette:
A good man often appears gauche simply because he does not take advantage of the myriad mean little chances of making himself look stylish. Preferring truth to form, he is not constantly at work upon the facade of his appearance.
Meanwhile, German poet Friedrich Schiller said, "Appearance rules the world". People are busy, they have less time to reflect, so there's less time to analyse. So we increasingly skate over the surface, grazing broadly rather than deeply.

The upshot of this is that, in some circles, if a player is fat, with bad hair and sweatpants then he's going to harm a rock or pop band's image - unless, of course, he has a fabulous personality.

On the other hand ... Steve, someone said earlier that personality might have come into your band mates' preference, not just looks ...
Hi Polly...as usual you are a wealth of interesting information....loved both the quotes.
I don't think it was a personality issue, he has a good personality IMO. The immediate comments after he left were about his looks, especially his size. This is what set me off.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hi Polly...as usual you are a wealth of interesting information....loved both the quotes.
I don't think it was a personality issue, he has a good personality IMO. The immediate comments after he left were about his looks, especially his size. This is what set me off.
The Alanis quote's a beauty, isn't it? Sweatpants? (in Oz we call them track suit pants - or, more usually, trackie dacks :)

Otto

Platinum Member
I think the bigger question is how everyone gets along...at least when looking at a "band" of equal members.

Forgot where I saw it, prob. from another post here, but I rember a comment from the leader of The Roots...he talked about how his band gets together on Sundays...no excuses...for brunch....family!

That cohesion will take a group further than appearance or talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.