Looks like it *could* be a steal

alparrott

Platinum Member
So here we have a guy in my local Craigslist posting a "snair drum" up for sale for $70. So Imma take a look at it tomorrow.

Why, you ask? Take a look in the photos. That's a UFO case... and the second picture has me counting ten lugs and it looks an awful lot like Ludalloy.

Looks like an LM400 to me -- maybe.

That's a pretty steep discount, and I'm not picky -- I'll take a player in reasonable shape.

You guys seeing what I'm seeing, or am I way off? Guy won't send me any pics of the sides.

Attachments

M

Matt Bo Eder

If he has a return policy I'd buy it just to find out. That UFO case alone is worth $40.

Dodeska

He won't send you any pics of the sides? Hmm. That would make me suspicious. However, you're getting to seeit before you commit to buy that makes it definitely worth a look. Hope it's what you want it to be.

Dignan

Silver Member
I hate when people post snare drums and only show the top and bottom heads. Usually when I see this, it's accompanied by a description that suggests to me that the seller knows nothing about drums. Which in this case, could be a good thing for you. About a year ago I scored a used Supra from a guy who did not know what it was (ironically he was a drummer too) for $60. However mine did not come with a case.

I'd go take a look at it.

alparrott

Platinum Member
The only thing that's keeping me from thinking its an LM400 is the missing internal dampening system.
Which could have been removed. Certainly not a deal breaker for me... I'm looking for a playable drum, not a collectable.

If he has a return policy I'd buy it just to find out. That UFO case alone is worth $40.
Craigslist with a return policy. THERE's an idea whose time has come.

He won't send you any pics of the sides? Hmm. That would make me suspicious. However, you're getting to seeit before you commit to buy that makes it definitely worth a look. Hope it's what you want it to be.
I think the way he spelled "snare" tells us everything we need to know. He is not claiming it to be a Supra, that's my guess based on the info. The ad says "snair drum - $70" with no real description.

I hate when people post snare drums and only show the top and bottom heads. Usually when I see this, it's accompanied by a description that suggests to me that the seller knows nothing about drums. Which in this case, could be a good thing for you. About a year ago I scored a used Supra from a guy who did not know what it was (ironically he was a drummer too) for $60. However mine did not come with a case.

I'd go take a look at it.
It's frustrating ("Remo Weatherking ambassador snare drum"), but I also find it fun to sniff out these once-in-a-lifetime deals from folks who just got no clue. It's a drum, you hit it, meaningless to me... yeah, $70 seems fair.

Meeting him this evening. Wish me luck.

Dignan

Silver Member
Ya, the spelling of "snair" is another clue that this person is not a drummer and this might be a Supra.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I see 10 lugs, and a pretty wide flange on the bearing edge, which point directly to it being a LM400. The top of the throw off knob also looks a lot like a P-85, increasing the chance.

However, I also see a fair amount of what looks like rust on the hoops. If the hoops are that rusty, I'd almost guarantee the shell is badly pitted, which might be why the seller is hesitant to include pics of the shell.

alparrott

Platinum Member
That drum could be a steal...

Or it could be a "steel" LM300
You know what, I suddenly think it is an LM300.

Clue: Strips, not twine, on the snare. Fact: P-85s don't accept strips. The Rocker throwoff does, though...

LM300s are still 10-lug, beaded shell, same look as an LM400... and I think they did get shipped with a UFO case.

Good point.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd still get it. I like 10 lug snares. The price is right. It's got Al written all over it.

Petty sharp Kamak. Not bad for a guitar player :)

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'd still get it. I like 10 lug snares. The price is right. It's got Al written all over it.

Petty sharp Kamak. Not bad for a guitar player :)
Meh. I sold a steel snare some time ago, and the whole thing about this was getting into a Supra for dirt cheap. It's nice for a steel snare, but I have bigger fish to fry.

Thanks for being a good sounding board yet again chaps.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Could the person just not send a pic because they are just too lazy?? They did spell it "snair"....
A P-85 can accept plastic strips. The 70's and earlier versions didn't, and the UFO case doesn't mean it's a 70's or 80's drum.
They haven't used a tone control for quite a while now, but, people took them off all the time. The top of the strainer doesn't look like the one on the 300 (rubber) pictured, it looks like metal.

Not saying it IS 100% a LM400, but maybe worth a look.

EDIT: Looked closer at the listing pics--
The flange is too big to be the import snare. The interior looks like a 400 than ends a good cleaning, and the cup washers are larger than used on the import drums. Check out any "Ludwig style" snare when you get a chance, and check out the hardware. It's all the same cup washers, screws, and SMALL flange on the edges--easily half the size of Ludwig's flanged edges.

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I'd say its probably a 400, as mentioned the bearing edge crimp, and I see the correct lug screw washers and interior colour, along with the 10 lugs. Hoops? who cares?

The case is a good sign, on the plus side of it being a LUDWIG anyway.

Dignan

Silver Member
I'd say its probably a 400, as mentioned the bearing edge crimp, and I see the correct lug screw washers and interior colour, along with the 10 lugs. Hoops? who cares?

The case is a good sign, on the plus side of it being a LUDWIG anyway.
The supra I got had rusted hoops. Pretty bad. The old coke and tin foil treatment took off 99% of the rust. Check out before and after pics here if you are worried about the rust.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118089

alparrott

Platinum Member
Turns out I couldn't meet up tonight. But we'll see what he's got sometime next week. Maybe yes. We'll see if I can wheedle a side pic out of him in the meantime.

KamaK

Platinum Member
It may also be an LM305. The photos give the interior an odd tint.

I'd pay $70 for a 305. I'd pass on a 300, though the price is fair.

Fingers crossed for a 400

Last edited: