Looking To Buy An Electronic Drum Kit

DarthTangYang

Hello!

I'm looking to purchase and electronic drum kit. I assume Roland are the leading manufacturer of digital drums (V-Drum)? The drum kit is mainly for my son but I would also like to use it. I mainly play guitar and sing, and I'm in the process of building a home recording studio for myself so I would naturally like to get a kit that I can use for my own projects.

My thinking is that perhaps it would be smart to invest a bit more in the module (brain of the drum kit) and buy a slightly cheaper beginners kit that can later be upgraded. Not sure if this is a sound strategy but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

My son mainly needs a kit for practice so the actual kit can probably be a bit more budget friendly.

Last edited:
1. Roland or Yamaha for known quality/longevity with mainstream availability and support. The main differences are Roland uses synthesized/modelled sounds and generally proprietary cable snakes, Yamaha uses multi-layered sampled sounds and no cable snake.
2. Avoid entry-level kits if you can; it's better to get a 2nd user higher-level kit from the above. Yes, you can generally upgrade bits as you go along.
Don't know your budget so can't suggest specifics.

1. Roland or Yamaha for known quality/longevity with mainstream availability and support. The main differences are Roland uses synthesized/modelled sounds and generally proprietary cable snakes, Yamaha uses multi-layered sampled sounds and no cable snake.
2. Avoid entry-level kits if you can; it's better to get a 2nd user higher-level kit from the above. Yes, you can generally upgrade bits as you go along.
Don't know your budget so can't suggest specifics.
Since I don't know all that much about electronic drums I have so many questions and thoughts about this that I'm not sure where to begin to be honest. So please bare with me as I try to navigate this topic. I really want to learn as much as possible before I commit to a specific purchase.

I'm first going to make some assumptions regarding what dictates the quality of the sound when it comes to electronic drums and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or add other aspects that are well worth considering if I'm missing something.

I would assume that the quality mainly hinges on two aspects here:

• Pressure sensitivity in toms, cymbals, snare etc. Also the amounts of "zones" on say a tom, where it will produce slight variations in the sound just like an acoustic tom depending on where you hit it, so not only how hard you hit it. I guess the rim on a tom or snare also plays a role here to some extent? Some electronic toms perhaps doesn't even have this feature? I also assume that the "feel" of hitting an electronic tom, snare or cymbal also plays a role. How much the sticks bounce back etc.

• But the main thing I assume is the actual module that controls everything in terms of sounds. How much these sounds are actually perceived as being real, acoustic drums or if it sounds like some cheap drum machine. But perhaps most of these modules these days sound great and the differences in price has to do with other features?

So if one can't afford a really high-end kit right away, wouldn't it be a smart strategy to at least invest a bit more in the actual module since they seem to be the biggest cost of one of these kits or am I coming at this from the wrong angle?

And if not, what would you say would be a reasonable budget for such a module? Something that would allow me to expand the entire kit by perhaps upgrading certain parts every now and then? Perhaps get some toms, cymbals etc. that have more pressure sensitivity at a later stage? Or would such a module not be compatible with a slightly lower-end kit anyway? Or perhaps it's even hard to find a used high-end module being sold without an entire kit?

• Pressure sensitivity in toms, cymbals, snare etc. Also the amounts of "zones" on say a tom, where it will produce slight variations in the sound just like an acoustic tom depending on where you hit it, so not only how hard you hit it. I guess the rim on a tom or snare also plays a role here to some extent? Some electronic toms perhaps doesn't even have this feature? I also assume that the "feel" of hitting an electronic tom, snare or cymbal also plays a role. How much the sticks bounce back etc.

• But the main thing I assume is the actual module that controls everything in terms of sounds. How much these sounds are actually perceived as being real, acoustic drums or if it sounds like some cheap drum machine. But perhaps most of these modules these days sound great and the differences in price has to do with other features?

So if one can't afford a really high-end kit right away, wouldn't it be a smart strategy to at least invest a bit more in the actual module since they seem to be the biggest cost of one of these kits or am I coming at this from the wrong angle?

And if not, what would you say would be a reasonable budget for such a module? Something that would allow me to expand the entire kit by perhaps upgrading certain parts every now and then? Perhaps get some toms, cymbals etc. that have more pressure sensitivity at a later stage? Or would such a module not be compatible with a slightly lower-end kit anyway? Or perhaps it's even hard to find a used high-end module being sold without an entire kit?

"Pressure sensitivity". Triggers in most pads are simple 49 cent piezos. They produce a voltage depending on how hard they are deformed (struck). The module will take that voltage spike and fire off a sound. The sounds can be generated using a synthesized models (a-la Roland) or by playing samples; and output at a volume relative to the incoming voltage/hit level. With models the sound is tweaked to emulate the timbre difference one gets on, say, an acoustic drum (Roland V-Drums: "V" being Virtual). With samples - it depends on layering - i.e. how many actual samples are stored in the module - then a different sample is played depending on how hard the pad is struck and output at the volume in-line with the incoming strike, e.g. hit 1-10% play sample#1, 11-20% play sample #2, etc. A DTX-PRO, for example, stores 10 drum samples on each zone on each pad (so up to 120 samples on a 3-zone pad). The latter sample method is also generally used with software synths (typically VSTs). Samples give a more authentic [subjective, obs] acoustic drum sound - as that's what they are - recordings of acoustic drums/percussion/cymbals.

I don't know what you want to spend on the project (€250, €500, €1000, €2000, €5000 etc) so it's really difficult to gain what you feel is a "high-end" kit or what is a "reasonable" budget. If you could give an indication on a figure you want to invest, it's easier to point you at things to look at / try out.

But - I would happily gig a 2nd user €500 kit for example. (I've been gigging ekits since 1986 and have stuff from everyone)

Things to note. You can generally use most pads with most modules. Some modules support things like multiple 3-zone pads, some don't. Pads have different "heads" - rubber, mesh, silicone. It's worth hitting a few. Yes, you can get an entry level kit (i.e. module + pads) then swap out the module if you like.

And, obs, remember an electronic kit is a totally different instrument to an acoustic kit, just with a similar input interface; similarly a Korg synth is not a Steinway grand :) One can emulate the other but the former can do so much more.

Hope some of all the above helps!

Last edited:
Since I don't know all that much about electronic drums I have so many questions and thoughts about this that I'm not sure where to begin to be honest. So please bare with me as I try to navigate this topic. I really want to learn as much as possible before I commit to a specific purchase.

I'm first going to make some assumptions regarding what dictates the quality of the sound when it comes to electronic drums and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or add other aspects that are well worth considering if I'm missing something.

I would assume that the quality mainly hinges on two aspects here:

Start with how much you are comfortable spending, then do a YouTube search of electronic kits on that price range (reviews of course) you will need to watch a lot but soon you will start to narrow down what you are willing to compromise and what you can't live without.
Then if something is out of your budget.. some places let you make payments which makes it possible to get a higher end kit.
My recommendation is the Roland TD-27 KV2 which comes with the digital snare, digital hats and digital ride (the best pads money can buy at this point), it is a Roland so you can be confident is going to last, and the sounds are usable but if you want high quality you need to get a VST like EZDrummer or Superior Drummer.

You can start with this very cheap pack of samples:

He starts playing at around the 8:55 mark and of course you can recognize what he is playing at the 12:16 mark:

The TD27 has the same sounds as the TD50 of course the TD50 is much more expensive but it offers many more features that you probably don't need at this stage.

Again your research might take you in a different direction or you might decide that it is way cheaper to just convert an acoustic kit and just get a module some cymbal pads , mesh heads and voila! you have a working kit...

I said it before and I say it again, don't go looking based on what we tell you is cool, search based on how YOU are going to be using the kit.
Good luck and keep us updated we can probably answer most of your questions here too.

I've been looking around at some of the kits that are being sold in my area and these are the ones by Roland that I've found so far.

Roland TD-6KX
Snare pad PD105 V-Drum 10”
3 X Tom pad PD 85 V-Drum 8”
Kick pad KD8
Hi hat pad CY5
Crash pad CY8
Ride pad CY8
Module Roland TD-6
Alesis kick pedal
The asking price is $638
Screenshot_20240503-191847.png

The next one is a Roland TD4KP. The asking price is $463
Screenshot_20240503-192822.png

Next one is a Roland TD6 with extra pads.
KD80 bass with DW4000 double floor pedals.
PD80R snare and a CY-12H HiHat.
Asking price is $435.
Screenshot_20240503-193306.png

There are other ones as well but they are way above my budget, at least for now.

I've been looking around at some of the kits that are being sold in my area and these are the ones by Roland that I've found so far.
Roland TD-6KX The asking price is $638
There are other ones as well but they are way above my budget, at least for now.
OK - so we're getting closer to a budget. 600 dollars? (dunno what flavour of $ that is.... USD, CAD, AUD etc?)
What's your actual comfortable budget (with currency)?
Sounds like you could seek a Yamaha DTX502-series round that figure to add to your short list [again dunno what you wanna spend, or, indeed where you are] Newer than all those, multi-layered sampled sounds (and you can add your own), 3-zone snare (head+rimshot+crosstick) and cymbals (bow+edge+bell). silicone snare (at least - maybe all round - closest to Mylar and quietest pad), up to 12 pads, no evil proprietary cable snake....

Last edited:
And, obs, remember an electronic kit is a totally different instrument to an acoustic kit, just with a similar input interface; similarly a Korg synth is not a Steinway grand :) One can emulate the other but the former can do so much more.
@DarthTangYang this ^^ is the reason I would consider an acoustic kit. For one, it can be less expensive than an eKit; secondly, someone who plays eKit will have a harder time playing an acoustic setup. But generally acoustic players can play eKits with less issues. At least that's my experience (and I play both acoustic and eKits).

@DarthTangYang this ^^ is the reason I would consider an acoustic kit. For one, it can be less expensive than an eKit; secondly, someone who plays eKit will have a harder time playing an acoustic setup.
My biggest regret about my time on edrums was how long it took me to discover converting an acoustic kit to electronic with mesh heads, triggers and a module.
On the bright side, when I finally did, I didn't lose any money when selling my VDrum pads since I had bought them used.

It's nice to have the option to set up the kit acoustic or electronic in minutes.

But generally acoustic players can play eKits with less issues. At least that's my experience (and I play both acoustic and eKits).

It definitely took time to get used to every aspect of playing real cymbals again after 10 years on edrums.

OK - so we're getting closer to a budget. 600 dollars? (dunno what flavour of $ that is.... USD, CAD, AUD etc?)
What's your actual comfortable budget (with currency)?
Sounds like you could seek a Yamaha DTX502-series round that figure to add to your short list [again dunno what you wanna spend, or, indeed where you are] Newer than all those, multi-layered sampled sounds (and you can add your own), 3-zone snare (head+rimshot+crosstick) and cymbals (bow+edge+bell). silicone snare (at least - maybe all round - closest to Mylar and quietest pad), up to 12 pads, no evil proprietary cable snake....
The prices I included are US dollars as I assume most people here are Americans, or most people know the approximate value of the US dollar compared to their own currency.

I myself live in Sweden and our currency is "krona".

The prices I included are US dollars as I assume most people here are Americans...

<waves from London :) >

The prices I included are US dollars as I assume most people here are Americans, or most people know the approximate value of the US dollar compared to their own currency.

Check out current models and prices from Thomann, they ship from Germany and offer 3 year warranty. That'll give you some idea about the landscape. The kits you found used are rather old. Your thinking about triggers and what makes a kit better is great, but buying a module and pads separately costs usually a lot more than a kit. Given how expensive ekits are, with a small budget you will have to lower your expectations and find either a popular cheapo budget brand (Alesis, Millenium etc.) or a very basic or outdated, old used Roland or Yamaha kit.
The used markets are often much better and larger in the US and there are good deals at stores, so it's better pointing out what market you are in, since you wouldn't be able to get the same offers. In the US you could sometimes get a used TD11 mesh or even a new TD07 for $600.

@DarthTangYang this ^^ is the reason I would consider an acoustic kit. For one, it can be less expensive than an eKit; secondly, someone who plays eKit will have a harder time playing an acoustic setup. But generally acoustic players can play eKits with less issues. At least that's my experience (and I play both acoustic and eKits).
He stated that he is building his own little studio, so maybe noise is not a concern, in which case, he could get a very decent acoustic for his budget range. But, let’s not forget that he will have to invest in a recording setup for it as well. Even a Yamaha EAD 10 is not that cheap, and you only can get so far with it…but if noise is a concern then….

My biggest regret about my time on edrums was how long it took me to discover converting an acoustic kit to electronic with mesh heads, triggers and a module.
On the bright side, when I finally did, I didn't lose any money when selling my VDrum pads since I had bought them used.

It's nice to have the option to set up the kit acoustic or electronic in minutes.

It definitely took time to get used to every aspect of playing real cymbals again after 10 years on edrums.
That is the other part that needs to be mentioned, Roland pads and modules keep a lot of their value for a long time, other brands (Yamaha included) not so much.

Back