Looking for suggestions on LIGHT hardware

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Good mornin! I'm looking for suggestions for LIGHT cymbal boom stands and a LIGHT hi-hat stand. Do these exist?

My hardware bag is super heavy with just three boom stands, a hi-hat stand, a snare stand, and the bottom to my throne. I know this isn't much hardware compared to alot of folks, but I'm all about making things light and easy if possible. Just looking for lighter hardware, if they make it.

PS - My Pearl Eliminator hi-hat stands is the biggest culprit, as that thing is HEAVY! :) Nice, though...

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Flatbase stands are usually designed to be very light, and I believe Axis makes flatbase stands out of aluminium, which would make them even lighter. I can vouch for the stability and quality of Gibraltar and DW flatbase stands, and there are probably other good brands out there too.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Flatbase stands are usually designed to be very light, and I believe Axis makes flatbase stands out of aluminium, which would make them even lighter. I can vouch for the stability and quality of Gibraltar and DW flatbase stands, and there are probably other good brands out there too.
Thanks for the advice!

I could actually get by with just two stands now and mount that larger crash by the ride cymbal on a cymbal arm coming off the ride cymbal stand. I have that already, but don't really use it. Seems it makes the crash not sound as good to me? Maybe it's in my head.

I'd probably lighten the load more by going down to two of my current stands and a cymbal arm, instead of buying three new lightweight cymbals stands. Don't ya think?

Maybe I should just do that and focus on getting a lighter hi-hat stand...

Too Many Songs

I use Yamaha 7 series stands for gigging and even have a couple of the 6 series. Single braced and rock solid and certainly light weight compared to most of the over-engineered stuff that most drummers cart around.

No problem e.g. hanging both a 14x10 tom and a 20" ride off one of the Yamaha stands.

Only downside is that the cymbal tilters are toothed which limits the range of adjustments you can make. But a minor quibble.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I got a Yamaha 700 series hi-hat stand yesterday new for $89. It's probably 1/2 the weight as my over-engineered Pearl Eliminator hi-hat stands, which is a good thing.

I played around quite a bit yesterday using this stand and I think I'll really like it. So much that I'll probably get a Yamaha 700 series boom and straight stand to lighten my load.

Thanks for the suggestions!

drumkat

I recommend using stands with eliptical legs...it is a compromise between single and double braced stands (and the associated increase in tubing thickness).

Also, maybe you could use some brackets...that way you will lose the weight of some stand bases.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I already have a small setup, so you guys will probably laught about me bitching about weight. lol

I was using only two of the PDP boom stands. I'd put a crash one one and fly a tom off of it. I'd then use the other for the ride cymbal and have a DW arm off that one for a second crash. Then of course, I have the huge heavy Pearl Eliminator hi-hat stand, drum throne bass, snare stand, and bass pedal.

My first attempt at reducing the weight was to use an arm for the second crash, instead of a third stand. That helps. Next, I replaced the heavy hi-hat stand with the Yamaha 700 hi-hat stand. That should help alot too, since it seems to weigh half or even less than the Pearl Eliminator.

I also just went ahead and ordered two of the Yamaha 600 series straight stands. We'll see how that turns out. The only other things I can really do is to get a lighter weight throne and snare stand.

I'd love to have 50lbs of hardware, instead of the 100lbs I have now. Lugging that around is getting old! LOL

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think for the light flat-based stuff you're only choice is between DW and Gibraltar. I've owned both and actually liked the DW stuff a bit better. Ludwig also makes flat-based cymbal stands which I can find out in Hollywood for $40 a piece, but they no longer make flat-based stands for anything else. Actually, there is a hardware pack from Gibraltar that has a straight and boom cymbal stand, a hi-hat, and a snare stand for $279 going on at the local Sam Ash.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I think for the light flat-based stuff you're only choice is between DW and Gibraltar. I've owned both and actually liked the DW stuff a bit better. Ludwig also makes flat-based cymbal stands which I can find out in Hollywood for $40 a piece, but they no longer make flat-based stands for anything else. Actually, there is a hardware pack from Gibraltar that has a straight and boom cymbal stand, a hi-hat, and a snare stand for $279 going on at the local Sam Ash.
I was going to go the flat-base route at first. But then I read some of the reviews of the Gibralter flat-base stands and several people said they were just as heavy as a double-braced stand? That surprised me.

I like this Yamaha hi-hat, so I went ahead for matching Yamaha single-braced stands (not with the flat-bases.) I also just ordered a Gibralter ride cymbal mount for the kick drum. Hopefully, that works out as well as expected.

Cameo

Gold Member
The flat-base hardware isn't heavy at all. They're feather weight - I can lift my lift my DW 6710 with boom and a 20" crash on while sitting on the throne. Super easy and light! Get 'em!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was going to go the flat-base route at first. But then I read some of the reviews of the Gibralter flat-base stands and several people said they were just as heavy as a double-braced stand? That surprised me.

I like this Yamaha hi-hat, so I went ahead for matching Yamaha single-braced stands (not with the flat-bases.) I also just ordered a Gibralter ride cymbal mount for the kick drum. Hopefully, that works out as well as expected.
Cool. I had the Yamaha 7 series stuff years ago and although it's a little heavier than the flat-based stuff, you do get more stability since you're dealing with tripods, so that's always a plus. And they are ALOT lighter than the stuff you have now. Enjoy the lightness!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Here's a cheaper option and suggestion.

I have a lot of old Pearl hardware. Some of the cymbal stands are single-braced and very lightweight. I think they are superb and can be picked up on eBay very cheaply. Just a thought.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
The Gibraltar JZ stands are nice. So are the Yamaha 7 series that others have mentionned above. Peace and goodwill.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Cool. I had the Yamaha 7 series stuff years ago and although it's a little heavier than the flat-based stuff, you do get more stability since you're dealing with tripods, so that's always a plus. And they are ALOT lighter than the stuff you have now. Enjoy the lightness!
I didn't go back and look, but I'm pretty sure it was you that recommended the Yamaha stuff in the first place. If so, thanks! I'll report back after I get the two straight stands and let everyone know the results. :)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Got the Yamaha 600 series straight cymbal stands two days ago. I'm impressed with them so far!

I haven't had a chance to put everything in the hardware bag yet and get a feel for the total weight, but I'm positive it will be ALOT lighter than what I was using before.

Haven't installed the bass drum mounted cymbal stand yet either, but that's a super cool thing to have IMO.

Just to recap... I plan to use a recently purchased Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, Yamaha 700 series hi-hat stand, two Yamaha 600 series straight cymbal stands, and a Gibralter bass drum mounted ride cymbal stand. I'm using this for band rehearsals in a modern rock band.

Gotta say I'm super happy with this setup at this point. Will know more once I actually load the kit up and take it to a rehearsal.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Oh, I should also say that I practiced last night hard and the stands seemed very stable to me (even on carpet!)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
How about Ludwig's new Atlas Classic hardware.

http://ludwig-drums.com/atlas/classic.php
Yeah, I was checking those out yesterday. They seem cool!!!! Does anyone know the prices? My guess is that they won't be real cheap, but maybe that's wrong?

I will probably be getting another hi-hat stand and two cymbal stands for my other kit too. Would just get more Yamaha stuff, but I'd like to have a different set for shits and giggles. Maybe the Gibralter flat-base stuff.