Looking for samba pieces played with brushes

gusty

Platinum Member
Hey guys, title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm wanting to play autumn leaves as a samba for an exam coming up, just looking for ways to add to my brush samba vocab. Thanks :)

brady

Platinum Member
I asked Jeff Hamilton the same thing at a recent clinic.

Basically, his answer was to go through Stick Control. Find a pattern you like..mess around with it...make the doubles swishes for instance. I think he demonstrated RLRR/RLRR. There are quite a few that would work...paradiddles even.

gusty

Platinum Member
Great, just what I was looking for! Thanks so much. Stick Control is a good idea.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I've posted some patterns here and here that you might find useful. I use a lot of accented 16ths, or the paradiddle inversion RLLR LRRL, or a tamborim-type pattern like Gadd is playing in the clip below. For listening, maybe check out some Eliane Elias, or a couple of guys are doing regular podcasts of Brazilian music.

gusty

Platinum Member
I've posted some patterns here and here that you might find useful. I use a lot of accented 16ths, or the paradiddle inversion RLLR LRRL, or a tamborim-type pattern like Gadd is playing in the clip below. For listening, maybe check out some Eliane Elias, or a couple of guys are doing regular podcasts of Brazilian music.
Thanks a lot, I'll start working on all this tomorrow!