Looking for opinions on this pricing

mshad

I have posted this kit on craigslist, $2500 or best offer. I am in the St. Louis area, but it has been up for about 2 months and has only sparked a couple interest e-mails. Is my pricing off? I have spent well over $2500 piecing this kit together over the years, so I figured if I started there and left room for negotiation, but maybe I am even too high. Opinions?

FYI the K ride cymbal is not listed below because it is not included in the kit, I got that cymbal autographed by Steve Gadd so it is not going anywhere lol

No floor toms, everything is racked but the snare (Gibralter rack)

Double bass

_Cymbal Sizes_

- 14" New Beat Hi-Hat - A Series

- 14" ZxT Trash Former

- 10" Extra Thin Splash - A Series

- 17" Medium Crash - A Series

- 19" Thin Crash - A Series

- 20" Custom Hybrid Ride - K Series

_Snare Size_

- 13" Steve Jordan

_Bass Size_

- 22"

_Tom Sizes _

- 8"

- 10"

- 12"

- 14"

Attachments

sonnygrabber

What happened to the left hand crash?

And you may have thrown folks off by virtue of setting the hang toms backwards. :)

StickIt

I think 2 things that you said will help to answer that question.

I have spent well over $2500 piecing this kit together
You'll never get anywhere near what YOU spent on a kit, unless it's valuable for some other reason (Collectable, rare etc.) and/or in MINT condition.

over the years
Age doesn't do good things to gear regardless of how well taken care of they are. I'm not arguing that you can't keep a set in great condition through years of ownership, just that age is a negative thing when reselling anything that isn't collectable for some reason.

So...just from what you said, I would think that you might have overpriced your kit. I am not a pricing expert, but I think that your expectations might be a little high if you're truly trying to sell the kit, sorry! All the best.

mshad

What happened to the left hand crash?

And you may have thrown folks off by virtue of setting the hang toms backwards. :)
Not backwards, I just didnt mind enough to care if the evans head logo was on the right side or not, sounds the same lol.

mshad

I think 2 things that you said will help to answer that question.

You'll never get anywhere near what YOU spent on a kit, unless it's valuable for some other reason (Collectable, rare etc.) and/or in MINT condition.

Age doesn't do good things to gear regardless of how well taken care of they are. I'm not arguing that you can't keep a set in great condition through years of ownership, just that age is a negative thing when reselling anything that isn't collectable for some reason.

So...just from what you said, I would think that you might have overpriced your kit. I am not a pricing expert, but I think that your expectations might be a little high if you're truly trying to sell the kit, sorry! All the best.
thank you for your input... I would accept somewhere in the range of 1500-1800$ I suppose but any lower seems crazy

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Not backwards, I just didnt mind enough to care if the evans head logo was on the right side or not, sounds the same lol.
I think that what he's referring to is that your toms from left to right go:

10, 8, 12, 14..... instead of:

8. 10, 12, 14.

And to Sonnygrabber, the crash on the left is his Trash Former - it's supposed to be all bent up!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
The line of drums would be helpful-- are those Stage Customs?

I would figure $500 for the drums if they're SCs, maybe $800 if they're the next line up, ~$180 for the snare, maybe $650 for the cymbals, or I guess $1350-1650 for everything.

That's the problem with buying new gear-- you're almost guaranteed to lose a lot of money when you resell it-- take heed.

larryz

Platinum Member
The cymbals look like they've been beaten to hell and back. Stage Customs are nice mid-level but $649 brand new. I usually steer clear of the "whole kit and kaboodle" deals like this.

topgun2021

Gold Member
The cymbals look like they've been beaten to hell and back. Stage Customs are nice mid-level but $649 brand new. I usually steer clear of the "whole kit and kaboodle" deals like this.
You could probably get more money too if you sell the shells, rack, stands, and cymbals separately.

I hate it when people list an entire set up and I inquire about one cymbal or a stand and I get a reply along the lines of, "Sorry, I don't want to split the entire set up."

I don't get it, it is not like I just want the bass drum or a single tom.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The line of drums would be helpful-- are those Stage Customs?

I would figure $500 for the drums if they're SCs, maybe $800 if they're the next line up, ~$180 for the snare, maybe $650 for the cymbals, or I guess $1350-1650 for everything.

That's the problem with buying new gear-- you're almost guaranteed to lose a lot of money when you resell it-- take heed.
^ This.

If those were Yamaha Maple Customs with everything, $2500 all day long. For Stage Customs? Forget it.

oldrockdrummer

I am from St.Louis too, tough market around here hard to compete with the drum shops.I think your price is way to high.Get some barkeepers friend and clean those cymbals.switch the 10 and 8 rack toms around,shine the chrome up. In the end you will be lucky to get 1500 for it on craigs list

mshad

I think that what he's referring to is that your toms from left to right go:

10, 8, 12, 14..... instead of:

8. 10, 12, 14.

And to Sonnygrabber, the crash on the left is his Trash Former - it's supposed to be all bent up!
Ahh yes... the toms are in order of how I like them. With how close I sit my ride cymbal (short arms) the small tom fits best in that spot, and I use it less often. Just how I prefer to put them.

And yes, the trashformer is made to be all bent up, kind of sounds like a china but not as bulky, it's different heh

mshad

I am willing to sell the kit pieced out, but I do not think I would split up the drums and the hardware.

mshad

What kind of price did that snare drum go for when new? Just curious.

EDIT: never mind: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Steve-Jordan-Snare-101558831-i1138629.gc

Also - here's some asking prices for you to browse: http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=yamaha+stage+custom+-+craigslist

(skip the first one)

Ive compared a lot of prices and I have basically taken the brand new cost and dropped in to 75%, but if I pull the cymbals out I will probably do much better

wildbill

Platinum Member
Here's my optimistic assessment for you based on what I see in my midwest area:

5 drums with mounting hardware - 500
Snare - 150
New Beats - 150
DW5K pedals - 125 to 150
Hi hat and cymbal stands - 150
ZXT - 40
10" Splash - 40
17" Crash - 100
19" crash - 150
Rack - 150
Snare stand - 35
Throne - 20

IOW - somewhere around 1600 on the high end - on a very good day. People around here low ball like their lives depended on it though.
That's also assuming you part stuff out, and it's in very good to excellent condition. Complete sets usually include stuff people don't want and aren't willing to pay much extra for.

EDIT: gotta revise that a bit. I looked at the drum sizes again - I thought they were bigger. A standard 22" kick 5 piece set usually comes with a 16" floor tom, and a snare. You've got a smaller floor tom. You've also got an extra 8" tom that goes for less than the stock snare when new. And I've also added extra for the snare you've got.
That standard shell pack goes for 650, but there's always discounts around here that brings it to about 550 - brand new. Used, the standard set goes for about 350. So, I'd say you'd be very lucky to get that much for 8, 10, 12, 14, 22.

Last edited:

mshad

Here's my optimistic assessment for you based on what I see in my midwest area:

5 drums with mounting hardware - 500
Snare - 150
New Beats - 150
DW5K pedals - 125 to 150
Hi hat and cymbal stands - 150
ZXT - 40
10" Splash - 40
17" Crash - 100
19" crash - 150
Rack - 150
Snare stand - 35
Throne - 20

IOW - somewhere around 1600 on the high end - on a very good day. People around here low ball like their lives depended on it though.
That's also assuming you part stuff out, and it's in very good to excellent condition. Complete sets usually include stuff people don't want and aren't willing to pay much extra for.

EDIT: gotta revise that a bit. I looked at the drum sizes again - I thought they were bigger. A standard 22" kick 5 piece set usually comes with a 16" floor tom, and a snare. You've got a smaller floor tom. You've also got an extra 8" tom that goes for less than the stock snare when new. And I've also added extra for the snare you've got.
That standard shell pack goes for 650, but there's always discounts around here that brings it to about 550 - brand new. Used, the standard set goes for about 350. So, I'd say you'd be very lucky to get that much for 8, 10, 12, 14, 22.

I appreciate all the advice! I have some work to do on re-posting these. Thank you

wildbill

Platinum Member
Prices could be higher or lower in your area. Those are just ballpark figures based on what I've been seeing around here.

I have several sets of Stage Customs, and have been considering selling one of them, so I've been following prices on those.

opentune

Platinum Member
I flip used kits pretty often. My advice, if you want to get anywhere near what you spent on that kit, you have to piece it out, through many different kinds of sales.
Somebody might be looking for shells but not cymbals. Somebody might need a crash but not hats, and so on.....

It takes more effort, and emails, but more of the kit goes.... gradually and for better dollars for you.

So when I look at your ad, I see at least 3 different criagslist ads...one for shells, oen for cymbals, one for hardware...etc

good luck