Looking for info on this 60's slingerland

jasonarp

I found this kit behind a ton of other kits at guitar center. It came in marked up to $1200, and it's now down to $459.

Here's the info I got-

It's a 4 piece, with 12, 13, 16, and 18 inch kick. It's a 60's Slingerland with "Chicago" badges, and was rewraped. All original hardware minus the missing bass and floor tom legs (but in the picture on their site there are legs to it).

What I want to know-

Where can I find all the hardware for this kit? Is it a legit kit and worth the money. And most of all, does anyone have experience with this kit?

Edit for picture-

Last edited:

Nodiggie

Gold Member
That is an awesome kit, I'm sure someone will chime in with the info you need. Just wanted to say I know where there is an old Sling in town with sweet Radio King snare. I've been meaning to see if the church would sell it for a new kit in trade. :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Certainly looks "legit", whatever that means. It's a re-wrap. Nothing you can do about that. Hence, the current low asking price. That, and the fact that the economy is "still in the toilet". If you want those sizes, and thin shelled with re-inforcement ring sound, this would be a good vintage "players" kit. eBay to source hardware. Pinstripe batter, always a little to muffled for my tastes, on these kinda drums. I'd go Ambassador reso., and Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, or Powerstroke 3 batter.

double_G

Silver Member
the only thing that bothers me is the re-wrap job, but if you like the sound...that seems to be a very good price. you could always get a custom drum maker to re-finish the drums in something better (sparkle, natural / stain) ?

just looking at them, they look almost exactly like the size kit i had as a kid...same sizes & everything. but 70s not 60s. bought around 1978; mine were silver sparkle. i sold them in Miami at Resurrection Drums (crying)...the buyer was a collector. at least i kept the original 12-lug snare !

Geoff in Atlanta.

slingerlandfreak

I think (if my eyes see right) that this is 70-is Slingerland (i think so when i see the badge)
I have one Slingerland from 60-is with 3 ply maple poplar maple with reinforcement rings and one kit from 70-is without rerings and has same badge like this one.
Sound is very nice for all kind of music especially jazz, i just recorded one jazz album with my kit and it is not possible to find new drums like this today on market.

jasonarp

I think (if my eyes see right) that this is 70-is Slingerland (i think so when i see the badge)
I have one Slingerland from 60-is with 3 ply maple poplar maple with reinforcement rings and one kit from 70-is without rerings and has same badge like this one.
Sound is very nice for all kind of music especially jazz, i just recorded one jazz album with my kit and it is not possible to find new drums like this today on market.
I looked up the badge, and it said 1962-1970 So it could be. The badge is brass, and says the location they were made.

I'm so excited, I'm going in today to play this thing with my cymbals! I'll report back tonight.

Drums&Beer

Slingerland certainly made some great drums back in the day.

It's very difficult to tell what year or era those drums are from, since for one it's a refinish and two it's hard to see any detail on the badges. From your pics the badges look silver and black. Do the drums have re-enforcement rings?

A little bit about some of the badges. Late Chicago badges were black and brass w/o serial numbers which would date them approx 1956-59. Slingerland moved their facility to Niles Illinois in 1960 and for a couple years approx1960-62 the drums doned brass and black badges w/o serial numbers that read Niles Illinois. From 1963-69 The badges were the same except the with serial numbers. Silver and black Niles badges replaced the black and brass badges in the 1970's models and the 5 ply shell with out re-enforcement rings came on the market in 1972 or 73 I believe. If your shells are 5-ply, they are definitely 1970s.

Hope this helps.

jasonarp

Okay guys, I went in today, spent about an hour playing and listening to the kit (had my friend drum on it also). The pro's out weighed the cons, so the kit is currently set up right next to me in my room. :D

I will post pictures tomorrow!

Slingerland certainly made some great drums back in the day.

It's very difficult to tell what year or era those drums are from, since for one it's a refinish and two it's hard to see any detail on the badges. From your pics the badges look silver and black. Do the drums have re-enforcement rings?

A little bit about some of the badges. Late Chicago badges were black and brass w/o serial numbers which would date them approx 1956-59. Slingerland moved their facility to Niles Illinois in 1960 and for a couple years approx1960-62 the drums doned brass and black badges w/o serial numbers that read Niles Illinois. From 1963-69 The badges were the same except the with serial numbers. Silver and black Niles badges replaced the black and brass badges in the 1970's models and the 5 ply shell with out re-enforcement rings came on the market in 1972 or 73 I believe. If your shells are 5-ply, they are definitely 1970s.

Hope this helps.
I looked at the site someone posted, the badges are silver, so looks like a 70's kit. If reinforcement rings are the extra wood/plies around the bearing edge? Then yes it has those. The rims also feel like their diecast? I think. haha

Lovin the kit right now.