Looking for Blues albums that....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You've opened up a history lesson for yourself! Get on the internet and do some google searches on the blues and check out all the names that come up!

Joking aside, I hate to say it, but the first Blues Brothers album with Steve Jordan on drums recorded back in 1977, although a bit progressive, is a good primer on what a good blues band can do. Say what you want about Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi and the movies spawned by the act, but that first band absolutely killed.

I hope I didn't just offend anyone, but I loved that album.

brady

Platinum Member
Yes, there are several categories within blues...just like jazz.

You'll just have to check out some records to see who you like.

As Con struct said, you can't go wrong with some Muddy, a great place to start. That was Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith on the drums in that clip. He played with Muddy for many years and can be found on most of Muddy's live records as well as the classic "Hard Again" record.

Duke Robillard is another excellent blues artist you should check out. He started Roomful of Blues in the late 60's and has done several records on his own. He is a real musicologist that knows nearly every blues guitarist's style and can play them perfectly. Duke has had a few drummers behind him over the years, and they are all very accomplished themselves. Check out the records with Mark Teixeira, Marty Richards, or Jeffrey McAllister.

B.B. King, of course. Pretty much anything he did. "Live at the Regal" with Sonny Freeman on drum is a good place to start.

Little Walter, known for his harmonica playing, is another good one. "His Best" is a collection of...well...his best. Most of the tracks feature Fred Below on drums. Definitely a drummer worth checking out.

Jimmy Witherspoon has a great live record titled "Rockin' with Spoon" with Mel Lewis on drums.

Check out the many drummers for legends like T-Bone Walker, Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Rogers, etc.

A little more current, you could check out Stevie Ray Vaughan. He has a few live DVDs out so you can hear and see what Chris Layton is doing. Perhaps most importantly, is that he rarely takes his eyes off Stevie.

Other old school drummers to listen to are; SP Leary, Odie Payne, Clifton James, James 'Peck' Curtis.

Well, that should get you started. Have fun.

Blankso

You've opened up a history lesson for yourself! Get on the internet and do some google searches on the blues and check out all the names that come up!

Joking aside, I hate to say it, but the first Blues Brothers album with Steve Jordan on drums recorded back in 1977, although a bit progressive, is a good primer on what a good blues band can do. Say what you want about Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi and the movies spawned by the act, but that first band absolutely killed.

I hope I didn't just offend anyone, but I loved that album.
Ya, I have been google-in stuff but theres a lot of stuff and I wanted to see what you guys think is a good place to start at.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ya, I have been google-in stuff but theres a lot of stuff and I wanted to see what you guys think is a good place to start at.
Understood. You know the kind of blues I thoroughly enjoy? Solo guitar/voice blues. The early Delta stuff with just a guy playing guitar and singing, I love that kind of stuff. there's a man who plays out here in Downtown Disney called Brother Yousef, and he does that kind of stuff, sometimes tapping his foot on a tambourine on the ground and I swear, you can feel the chicken grease on the ground! It's probably not so much what he's playing, but the vibe he creates just doin' it.

I saw George Thorogood once playing solo with an acoustic guitar and singing, and my god, that guy has that stuff down! But of course, you can start out with the roots: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, guys like that. Fortunately alot of those recordings live on and are popular so they can be found. Good luck!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Get Sirius Satelite radio and listen to the Blues channel, big variety for a bargain price. Plus you have every other genre of music too. You don't want to listen to just one blues drummer, it's good to get a large overview of the different styles:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Open up iTunes and go to the radio stations, Listen to whatever type of music that you want to anytime for free!

Blankso

Open up iTunes and go to the radio stations, Listen to whatever type of music that you want to anytime for free!
AH MAN! I cant believe I havent thought of that before THAAAAAAAAANK YOOOUUUUU!!!!
There so much stuff to listen to there

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Here are some fantastic blues albums with approachable drumming:

Muddy Waters "Hard Again" and "I'm Ready"
Johnny Winter Nothin' "But The Blues
Slim Harpo - any complilation especially with "Hip Shake Baby"

Enjoy

GJS

skreg

I don't really like blues much. I know, call me a freak, heretic, whatever, but I'm not really into it. I guess I have no soul.

But, there is a Bill Frisell album called "Blues Dream" which is absolutely awesome. Here is a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1847IRKJQ

There is also a DVD which is fantastic. You can rent it online for $4 on amazon. I believe the concert features Kenny Wolleson on drums. It is SICK - like one of the coolest concert DVD's I've ever seen!

RollingStone000

Silver Member
A couple of my favorite blues albums. Freddie Kings' Texas in My Blues; great live album, everyone on it is doing some heavy work. Then again, you have to with Freddie King leading the charge. You'll hear A LOT of Stevie Ray in Mr. Kings playing.

And Muddy and The Wolf. It's a two part album half of Muddy Waters and half of Howlin' Wolf. Backing them are the likes of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Charlie Watts, Dick Dunn, Paul Butterfield. Basically everyone on this album has a whole repertoire that very blues oriented.