Looking For Best Drumset with cymbals!

1mkfang

Hey guys, I am pretty new to acoustic drumming. I had an electric drumset for the past few years, but an now realizing that I should probably change into an acoustic one if I want to further my acoustic drumming skills. After asking tons of different drummers, I was finally told to get a nice maple drumset with 10'' 12'' 14'' toms, and a 20'' kick based on the type of music I play to. (I plan to do a lot of Jazz, but also have a small gig that plays a lot of other hip hop music) Although I would like to buy both extremes of the drums, one solely on Jazz, and another solely for hip hop, Money doesn't give me to comfort to do that. I am looking for a drumset that is all maple, has a 10'' 12'' 14'' toms and 20'' kick, with enough money for me to also buy some really nice, high end cymbals. The budget for the drumset, and cymbals cannot reach over 1400$! If anyone knows of a drumset that pretty much fits most of the requirements, and leaves enough money for some high end cymbals, lemme know! I would rather buy a nice high-end used drumset, that fits the requirement, than a avid brand-new drumset that fits most of the requirements, But I would like any type of response because I would like to further my acoustic drumming knowledge. If you could help me out, Thanks! A few drums I was looking at is the mapex saturn, Gretsch catalina, Gretsch Renoun (RN1), but I honestly don't know too much about drums.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Hey guys, I am pretty new to acoustic drumming. I had an electric drumset for the past few years, but an now realizing that I should probably change into an acoustic one if I want to further my acoustic drumming skills. After asking tons of different drummers, I was finally told to get a nice maple drumset with 10'' 12'' 14'' toms, and a 20'' kick based on the type of music I play to. (I plan to do a lot of Jazz, but also have a small gig that plays a lot of other hip hop music) Although I would like to buy both extremes of the drums, one solely on Jazz, and another solely for hip hop, Money doesn't give me to comfort to do that. I am looking for a drumset that is all maple, has a 10'' 12'' 14'' toms and 20'' kick, with enough money for me to also buy some really nice, high end cymbals. The budget for the drumset, and cymbals cannot reach over 1400$! If anyone knows of a drumset that pretty much fits most of the requirements, and leaves enough money for some high end cymbals, lemme know! I would rather buy a nice high-end used drumset, that fits the requirement, than a avid brand-new drumset that fits most of the requirements, But I would like any type of response because I would like to further my acoustic drumming knowledge. If you could help me out, Thanks! A few drums I was looking at is the mapex saturn, Gretsch catalina, Gretsch Renoun (RN1), but I honestly don't know too much about drums.
Before even thinking about the drums, I would look at getting good cymbals first. To me, having nice cymbals and ok drums is a lot better than having crappy cymbals and nice drums. Although with that budget I think that you can get some very nice cymbals and drums.
So I would look into getting some Zildjian A's or K's, or another companies equivalent lines. Stay away from Zbt, B8, Zht, HCS, MCS, blah, blah, blah. Just don't go that route. Bosphorus I've heard also makes great jazz cymbals as well as Dream. I would just get 14" hats, a 20" or 22" ride, maybe an 18" crash/ride, and a crash or 2. But what's most important is buying the cymbals that YOU like. I'd suggest researching these cymbals and listening to as many sound files as you can to kind of give you an understanding of the sound of the cymbal.
I would also suggest buying used because you can save tons of money doing it this way. I've never bought one new cymbal, and I'm not really planning on it (Wuhan is an exception). I bought my used Zildjian A 20" ride for like $94 on Ebay in great condition. And used cymbals often have a layer of patina built up on the cymbal which mellows out the sound (which I like more for jazz).

In the way of drums, all of those that you listed are great (I especially think a Catalina would be great for jazz and hip-hop). I would definitely recommend all of those. Just find the sound you like. Also, make sure that you budget in good heads too. A nice drum set with crappy heads won't be able to reach it's full musical potential until it has good heads. I would suggest Evans G1 or Remo Ambassadors.

Don't just listen to me though. There are lots of drummers on here that know much more than I do. So don't let me influence you to much.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! :)

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. Welcome to the forum!

Dutch

A recent, current model Yamaha Stage Customs with used Zildjian Ks, like the Custom Hybrids, and you're set for anything.

Have fun!

Dutch

1mkfang

Before even thinking about the drums, I would look at getting good cymbals first. To me, having nice cymbals and ok drums is a lot better than having crappy cymbals and nice drums. Although with that budget I think that you can get some very nice cymbals and drums.
So I would look into getting some Zildjian A's or K's, or another companies equivalent lines. Stay away from Zbt, B8, Zht, HCS, MCS, blah, blah, blah. Just don't go that route. Bosphorus I've heard also makes great jazz cymbals as well as Dream. I would just get 14" hats, a 20" or 22" ride, maybe an 18" crash/ride, and a crash or 2. But what's most important is buying the cymbals that YOU like. I'd suggest researching these cymbals and listening to as many sound files as you can to kind of give you an understanding of the sound of the cymbal.
I would also suggest buying used because you can save tons of money doing it this way. I've never bought one new cymbal, and I'm not really planning on it (Wuhan is an exception). I bought my used Zildjian A 20" ride for like $94 on Ebay in great condition. And used cymbals often have a layer of patina built up on the cymbal which mellows out the sound (which I like more for jazz).

In the way of drums, all of those that you listed are great (I especially think a Catalina would be great for jazz and hip-hop). I would definitely recommend all of those. Just find the sound you like. Also, make sure that you budget in good heads too. A nice drum set with crappy heads won't be able to reach it's full musical potential until it has good heads. I would suggest Evans G1 or Remo Ambassadors.

Don't just listen to me though. There are lots of drummers on here that know much more than I do. So don't let me influence you to much.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! :)

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. Welcome to the forum!
Hahaha, thanks for the warm welcome! I did do some research on the cymbals, and know that I would be satisfied with either a Zildjian A custom, or a Sabian AAX. I do have a quick question though concerning drums themselves. I found a drumset called the PDP M5. Its an all maple used drumset. It comes with a complete set of AAX sabian cymbals, with some pretty high quality hardware (although that is not my main reason as to why I am interested in the drums.) The company PDP, and the specific drums themsleves are my question. I am curious to know how well those drums are said to be, and if anyone had experience with the drums. I was told that PDP is a company under DW, and that the company sells more of the lower, more affordable, end drums. I'm not sure what that means as to weather the PDP M5 are going to be a nice last able quality drumset or not. The price for the drums are roughly reaching the limit to what I am able to spend though. (there was not a price tag for it, but the seller wanted to sell it roughly around 1300-1500, but does not have a price for it yet.) If someone could provide me with a little more information on the drums than specs of it (such as weather it's said to be good fro jazz/hip hop, or even if you just think that it is a good drumset), it would be very helpful! Thanks! and sorry for asking so many questions.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Shoot if you're going to spend that much money on a Mapex M5 drum kit, you may as well get a used Saturn or Gretsch Renoun drum kit for that much money.

KamaK

Platinum Member
New and simple: Pearl EXL705D + Zildjian K Pack. Done

Used and thrifty: Renown + A-la-carte K's + Random hardware.

I own a Renown and an A-Custom set. I and would not encourage using the cymbals for jazz/hiphop, mainly due to the ride. The bell isn't as clear and distinct as a K, and I have a hard time riding the crashes. It makes a great rock/country set.

Welcome to the forum.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Hahaha, thanks for the warm welcome! I did do some research on the cymbals, and know that I would be satisfied with either a Zildjian A custom, or a Sabian AAX. I do have a quick question though concerning drums themselves. I found a drumset called the PDP M5. Its an all maple used drumset. It comes with a complete set of AAX sabian cymbals, with some pretty high quality hardware (although that is not my main reason as to why I am interested in the drums.) The company PDP, and the specific drums themsleves are my question. I am curious to know how well those drums are said to be, and if anyone had experience with the drums. I was told that PDP is a company under DW, and that the company sells more of the lower, more affordable, end drums. I'm not sure what that means as to weather the PDP M5 are going to be a nice last able quality drumset or not. The price for the drums are roughly reaching the limit to what I am able to spend though. (there was not a price tag for it, but the seller wanted to sell it roughly around 1300-1500, but does not have a price for it yet.) If someone could provide me with a little more information on the drums than specs of it (such as weather it's said to be good fro jazz/hip hop, or even if you just think that it is a good drumset), it would be very helpful! Thanks! and sorry for asking so many questions.
AAX and Zildjian A Custom are very odd choices for jazz cymbals IMO. I would take those for rock, metal, and punk and other music styles of that sort. But not for jazz. Those cymbals are good for cutting through the mix due to their higher pitch and brightness. For jazz, generally you would want darker cymbals that blend more with the music, not cut. Examples of some lines of cymbals I would use for jazz would be Zildjian K, K custom, Kerope, Constantinople, Sabian HH, HHX, etc. They all have darker characteristics although there are exceptions. I actually have played some Zildjian As that were darker than some Ks of the same size that I had played.

PDP is a branch of DW. Pretty much they are DWs made in China. They are made with mid-quality maple (still sounds great). Not American Hard Rock maple, which is used in DW drum sets. PDP makes nice drums like the concept series. I love the sound of them for some reason. The m5 that you mentioned is an older version of the concept series. They have the same shells but the concept series has upgraded hardware. I would definitely recommend them to someone that is set on getting a new set for a good price, but like Midnite Zephyr said, if you're willing to go used, why not go for a used set of pro drums?

Again, try to find the sound you like. Go onto drum brand websites, and do some more research. Some people may like the sound of Tama Silverstars for jazz, some Gretch Renowns, some Pearl Reference, some DW Design, maybe some people even like PDP Mainstage kits for jazz. Who knows. Gretch always seems to fit the bill when it comes to jazz kits.

geezer

Someone mentioned Bosphorus cymbals and a Yamaha Stage Custom kit I second those recommendations. You can get decent deals on used Bosphorus cymbals and I find them very versatile - I use them for everything from jazz to punk. You could pick up a used Stage Custom, which would give you money to play around with in your budget for high quality cymbals and good hardware.

Chollyred

If there's a "Music Go Round" store near you, check out their used inventory of both drums and cymbals. Do some research on the items in your price range, then go to the store and check them out physically.

Around here, used PDP M5s, Yamaha Stage Customs, or Mapex Pros are going for about $350 - $400 leaving lots of room in your budget for nice cymbals.

Some other music stores also deal in used equipment (like Guitar Center, etc.).

Although I have bought stuff off of eBay, you never know what you're actually getting until it arrives. Craigslist is another option, but many of the sellers there really inflate their asking prices hoping to snare (no pun intended) less knowledgeable or impulse buyers.

Do your homework and be patient.

Superman

Gold Member
Unless you are buying used, your budget ($1,400) does not allow you to buy a set like Saturns or Renowns along with Axx's /A Customs and hardware. You are talking at least 3K new.

As far as PDP they make a decent product that is perfectly fine for most applications. A used PDP concept series or Catalina's along with some used cymbals and hardware would be a good setup and could possibly fit your budget.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Unless you are buying used, your budget ($1,400) does not allow you to buy a set like Saturns or Renowns along with Axx's /A Customs and hardware. You are talking at least 3K new.

As far as PDP they make a decent product that is perfectly fine for most applications. A used PDP concept series or Catalina's along with some used cymbals and hardware would be a good setup and could possibly fit your budget.
Indeed. Clearance renowns are $900. The lowest I've seen used are $700. Sometimes the older gold badge renowns sell for cheaper on Ebay (Example $569 +100 Shipping) The other down side of the Renown for budget conscious shoppers is that you need to buy a snare.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The first thing to bear in mind is your maximum buget.The absolute maximum,you're willing to spend.At least one third should be spent on cymbals ,that are pro grade in Quality.Forget the entry level,mid level stuff.Buy once buy right,and buy used if you can.Inspect for cracks and flea bites(small undentations on the edge of a cymbal) that usually indicate, it was dropped.

Consider other shell materials as well such as hybrids(maple/mahogany/walnut/poplar bubinga/birch, combinations ect).Some guys insist that all maple drums are the only way to go,which is B.S.,Some of THE best sounding and most popular series of drums ever made were Yamaha Recording Customs,and Vintage Tama Superstars,which are all ....birch.So listen first ,and buy with your ears .That goes for cymbals also.

Speaking of hybrid,nearly alll American made toms and bass drums ,till the late 70's were ply combinations of maple/poplar/gum/mahogany or walnut.All maple drums didn't come out till the 70's NOT counting single ply, steam bent Radio Kings for example.

Though jazz cymbals are mostly darker sounding ,like Zildjian K's,I know a couple of guys that play A Customs,and make it work just fine.

Don't be in a hurry,and take your time,and just a few more things.First,Welcome to the forum.Find a good teacher.Drums may seem easy at first,but they are difficult to master.There also isn't a "best" anything.That is consept in somones brain,that has no reflection in reality.

Ask all the questions you want,.......almost nothing is stupid or silly.

And lastly...last able or lastable....is not a word in the english langauge.:):).

Steve B

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Spend as little as you can get away with on the drums. You can't really buy a bad drum set these days if you are diligent. The smart money goes to GREAT cymbals. Seriously, you can get used drums, used hardware, get a GREAT throne right from jump street too... But research your cymbal purchase like a detective. If you could do something like this, you'd make the most of your dough.

300 - drums
75 - used roc and soc throne or equivalent.
75 - various stands, definitely used. Snare, hi hat, 3 cymbal stands. Hardware lasts for centuries under normal use.
900 - cymbals (300 hi hats, 300 ride, 300 for 2 crashes)
50- used pedal. Pedals are another thing that you can pay less for right now.

Something like that. My point is spend as much as you can on great cymbals. PDP, Mapex, Stage Custom, Catalinas, etc...are all road worthy drums. They all can be made to sound just like "professional" drums. Birch is a great wood for toms. Look for a great deal on a well taken care of kit.

I'd buy your cymbals new and use the return policy if you selected wrong. Keep returning until you like what you have.

Of course you'll need sticks, stickbag, cymbal case, and all the miscellaneous stuff. Hopefully you own some of the stuff listed above already, in which case you have more money for your CYMBALS!

1mkfang

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! That helps me out by a ton! After thinking about it, I really am leaning towards getting a used Pro-level set. I never looked beyond the Zildjian A custom cymbals, but thanks for telling me more about the cymbals! hahaha, I will look more into a nice set of drums and cymbals. I have taken in consideration of all that you guys have posted up. I will take some time out to play a few drumsets to let my ears decide what I like. I will definitely take my time when looking for one! Thanks for the link of the drumset, although I have already looked at that one. I wasn't too into the Mapex Saturn, and didn't really like the condition of that drum, but i will still take it into consideration. I think the only thing that bugs me is that I wish I had a little more money so that not only could it be easier to find a nice pro-level drumset, but also so that I would have enough left over for a Zildjian k custom cymbal! hahaha, I bet everyone has had this feeling before though. Anyways, Just wanted to give a big thanks for all the responses, and say that I will take into consideration all that you have said. If any questions pop up, I'll definitely ask! Thanks!

(BTW thank you all so much for the warm welcome into the drumming community!)

KamaK

Platinum Member
I think the only thing that bugs me is that I wish I had a little more money so that not only could it be easier to find a nice pro-level drumset, but also so that I would have enough left over for a Zildjian k custom cymbal! hahaha, I bet everyone has had this feeling before though.
Indeed. I guess the point is that the 'pro set' can wait a year or three. The cymbals (hat, main crash, ride) really can't.

Cymbals, Snare, 2 pedals, throne. Get those right and the rest doesn't matter nearly as much. Buy used, and you can resell the shells in a couple years to recoup for the entry-pro kit.

As a side benefit, a lot of the intermediate kits look really sharp these days.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Indeed. I guess the point is that the 'pro set' can wait a year or three. The cymbals (hat, main crash, ride) really can't.

Cymbals, Snare, 2 pedals, throne. Get those right and the rest doesn't matter nearly as much. Buy used, and you can resell the shells in a couple years to recoup for the entry-pro kit.

As a side benefit, a lot of the intermediate kits look really sharp these days.
+1 for this. The pro kit can wait. Get a nice used intermediate kit and focus more on cymbals. The drums will sound great, trust me. Just get a Catalina and nice cymbals and you'll be set.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I wanted a second set of drums and cymbals (hats, ride & 2 crashes). I bought all used stuff and it cost me about a thousand dollars. That's with finding great deals on everything, and I didn't buy it all at once. I already had an extra snare drum, but my acrolite cost a hundred plus the cost of new heads. So, if you include that, with new heads top and bottom, and some used hardware, we're talking about 1300 to 1400 bucks for everything. Then there is the extra seat I bought, add another 150 because I only like good seats.

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Wow! Thanks for all the responses! That helps me out by a ton! After thinking about it, I really am leaning towards getting a used Pro-level set. I never looked beyond the Zildjian A custom cymbals, but thanks for telling me more about the cymbals! hahaha, I will look more into a nice set of drums and cymbals. I have taken in consideration of all that you guys have posted up. I will take some time out to play a few drumsets to let my ears decide what I like. I will definitely take my time when looking for one! Thanks for the link of the drumset, although I have already looked at that one. I wasn't too into the Mapex Saturn, and didn't really like the condition of that drum, but i will still take it into consideration. I think the only thing that bugs me is that I wish I had a little more money so that not only could it be easier to find a nice pro-level drumset, but also so that I would have enough left over for a Zildjian k custom cymbal! hahaha, I bet everyone has had this feeling before though. Anyways, Just wanted to give a big thanks for all the responses, and say that I will take into consideration all that you have said. If any questions pop up, I'll definitely ask! Thanks!

(BTW thank you all so much for the warm welcome into the drumming
.community!)
Everybody wants a pro level kit,people in hell want ice water,and if my grandmother had wheels,she'd be a wagon.

With the build quality of the currently available drum kits out there,you don't need pro level drums,but great pro lever cymbals,should be your focus.Intermeadiate and ceven some entry level/mid level kits 6-1,000 sound great,with good heads and tuning,but bad cymbals.will always be bad cymbals.

If by pro drum lits you mean say Ludwig Legacy,Keystones, or Gretsch USA Customs or Brooklyns,Tama Starclassic or Star line,Or DW's as example,then you'd better quadruple your spending budget,especially if you're buying new cymbals.You're talkin drum kits in the 3-5,000 dollar range and up,not to mention another 1,000 at least for a K Custom cymbal pak with a ride,two crashes and hi hats.Add on hardware,a throne,cases and your you have enough cash to put a down payment on a house.

It's kind of unrealistic at this point to go all in,and not settle for a good kit,and great cymbals.Buying used will at times double your buying power,and possibly ,let you get a top of the line,production kit.Be realistic,and practicle,or start saving your money,because with 1400 bucks,you're not going to get a new top of the line kit,......and pro cymbals.

Steve B