looking back ,what would you do ?

imtombstone

thx , thats what i thought ,
looking at K kerope 14" hats K kerope 18 crash ,snare not sure yet ( 250 )
new heads for kit should be able to pull it off for 1k
maybie pick up a cowbell ( i dont have one ) ;) lol

No Way Jose

Silver Member
after thinking about it longer,this kit really does do all i need it to now , practice, learning and fun.

im seriously thinking about taking my new kit cash, and getting a really nice snare and hats only! you use them most anyway.
I'd upgrade the hi hats, snare, maybe buy some new drum heads, maybe get a pro level new cymbal or two.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Learn this word: Acrolite.

You're welcome.
The bog standard Pearl Sensitone as well, I'm not a Pearl fan at all but these are great cheap snares.

Cymbals are a tricky one, ride cymbals are easy to pick up 2nd hand old Zildjian A's are everywhere as are Zildjian New Beats/Quick beats/Rock Hats.

Crash wise you have to go brand new, I've got stung before buying used, you rarely know what punishment a crash cymbal has taken so be wary of shed builders.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Ditto. We say it a lot here: you can get by with cheap drums, but your cymbals must be pro level. There are a lot of snares in that $200 range that can e made to sound great, unless you feel it's necessary to spend 500+ on a snare.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Get the best snare your ears can afford. Same with hats and cymbals. Cheap drums can always be made to sound decent with good heads and proper tuning provided the hardware is solid.

jazzin'

Silver Member
Unfortunately, it's hard to get past a poor snare. You can only work it so much. Cymbals also so I know what you mean. I'd go for a decent snare, hats and ride also...maybe even a crash if you can scrape enough together. You can get by easily with the other stuff if those sound ok.

imtombstone

? i was looking to spend $800 up to 1000$ for a mid level kit, for bday or xmas this year.
although i am still learning i dont know what sound im looking for or want.( mostly just jammin for fun for me ) after thinking about it longer,this kit really does do all i need it to now , practice, learning and fun.
my biggest dislikes about my kit? hats and snare! i realize the starter hats and snare i have are POS.
im seriously thinking about taking my new kit cash, and getting a really nice snare and hats only! you use them most anyway.
and i can get really nice hats and snare for $ 800 up to $1000 ! mabie a few diff and pick up a great crash also , and i think i would probably enjoy the sound so much more than a mid level kit
where im still not happy with the hats and snare
if I were to play with some friends now , thats all i really hate, are the hats and snare. yea I would love some better cymbals
( but i dont hate mine )and a nicer set would be nice, but then im still in the learning range ,
if I were to wait a year or so and get the gretch renown later or another decent set for $1500 or so ( i still need a good snare and hats )
and i sorta skip the lower mid level all together .
oppinions and comments from real drummers who have been there before means a lot .
what do you think?

Last edited: