London Drum Show forum report

Andy

Honorary Member
Hi all,

after landing back late last night - extremely tired - & having to haul out again in the next few hours, here's the start of a thread that I hope others will chime in with their pictures & stories.

I certainly have some stories :) Some of these include breaking down doors, surprise visitors & conversations, Andy making inappropriate industry comments on a live video broadcast feed, "Billie Jean" playing sessions on the stand / booth as a counter to gospel chop hell, & much more. Unfortunately I'm travelling extensively over the next two weeks, so don't have time to include everything now, but I will get to stuff. I have some great video footage of forum member playing & general shenanigans that frankly deserves a thread of it's own (includes rule breaking, breast shaking, etc), but I don't have time to edit it right now.

Thanks to all who turned up to the photo call, although there were many who couldn't due to timing, or in the case of David Floegel, not getting out of bed in time after a heady after party jam night ;)

Here's some forum member shots to kick off with, plus a snapshot of one "mystery visitor" (more about that later).

Finally, a huge thank you to all who helped me out. You know who you are, & it's an honour to be associated with each & every one of you.

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 698
  • forum 2.jpg
    forum 2.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 667
  • Forum oblique.jpg
    Forum oblique.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 672
  • Me + Karl.jpg
    Me + Karl.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 863
I was sorry I couldn't stay for the Sunday, but Saturday was, as ever, absolutely wonderful. So good to see Ben and Kate again, and to meet Caz for the first time. I loved her partner's (apologies if he isn't!) playing VERRRY much indeed. Missed meeting Jon and Oliver again though :(

Andy, you must be absolutely shattered.

A couple of photos from a very happy Madge:

Attachments

• 12249566_1624571337809109_1695411800888633038_n.jpg
    12249566_1624571337809109_1695411800888633038_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 624
  • 12274653_1624583554474554_2123805371360515852_n.jpg
    12274653_1624583554474554_2123805371360515852_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 626
  • 12274339_1624598661139710_1919701428102608240_n.jpg
    12274339_1624598661139710_1919701428102608240_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 629
  • 12250021_1624599264472983_4507507857773831216_n.jpg
    12250021_1624599264472983_4507507857773831216_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 621
Your cymbal Madge?

Your pedal, Petal?

Beans need spilling!

Last edited:
Again, I don’t know how you do it Andy. You're a force of nature!

Really enjoyed yesterday, great day out came home last night smiling and went straight on the kit to practice for an hour- which my ears didn’t appreciate much!! Nearly couldnt sleep last night thanks to the ringing. As always, it was good to see you all again. Would have loved to have been there the Saturday too also but maybe next year I'll do both days. Sad to have not seen Mr and Mrs Madge this time around : (

Yesterday for me was less about the gear side of things and more trying to absorb the various clinics going on. I think I didn’t have a proper long look round until around 2pm.

Peter Erskine was unreal, loved every minute of his Masterclass. Really drove home the point of playing simple and musically/for the song. What a pleasure seeing him in the flesh.

Mike Johnston was a drummer revelation for me, I have to admit I have never been a fan of online lessons as I feel that they loose that personal touch not being in a room with a tutor, so Mike hasnt been a player I have really checked out a lot but after seeing how personable he made his clinic my view has completely changed. Also, came across as a really good chap with time for everyone which was good to see.

Onto the Gear side of things.

Well first and foremost the Guru stand again was mouth-watering with a great selection of drums and snares. Very much enjoyed playing and double drumming with Ben again towards the end of the day. Andy what was the deep red 14" snare you had on display? Was it Rosewood or Walnut? I completely forgot to ask you about it.

Also another standout for me was a 24”, 13” and 16” Gretsch Broadcaster (from what I could hear of it mind!!) that sounded lovely.

The British Drum Company launched some fine looking kits. Didn’t manage to play any of them though as they were always busy it seemed. Good to see their launch gain a lot of interest for a new company.

The Roland Demo ‘centre’ was pretty cool this year, a welcomed addition to go and chill on a kit for a while.

Regarding cymbals, I had to tear myself away from the Sabian 22" Manhattan Jazz Ride and the 22" Constantinople Medium Ride. The Zildjian Low Volume cymbals were great also, really surprised how relalistic they felt.

Lastly on purchases, I bought a new 14” Calf Skin Drumhead made by Majetone Industries which I can’t wait to put on my Radio King and record with, the amount of tone it gives out just by tapping it is unreal- and a leather Vic Firth deluxe Stick Bag, despite telling myself I wasn’t going to buy anything this year………

Roll on the LDS 2016

Last edited:
Crap some people have all the fun. I have to admit-I'm so stinking jealous. Sounds like a "blast" and I'm all in for drums, meeting people, breaking bread and drink, and fun. I can't wait to hear those Tours with coming videos! Note plural like all you guys and gals on them.

Your cymbal Madge?

Your pedal, Petal?

Beans need spilling!

17" Amedia Fusion crash. Bright - almost sparkly!

Malleus pedal. I didn't own a decent pedal although I do have one on long-term loan from Liam, so although I wasn't intending to buy one it seemed like a pretty good opportunity. I will admit that one reason I bought it, given that I didn't really need it, was because it was being sold by the chap who designed and made it, in Gloucester. He talked me through the design elements but I'm afraid it went in one ear and out the other; what I retain, and what impressed me enormously, is the fact that it's enormously adjustable to suit and to aid all styles of playing. No excuses for me now!

Would have loved to have been there the Saturday too also but maybe next year I'll do both days. Sad to have not seen Mr and Mrs Madge this time around : (

I had tickets for both days this year but then we ran into house/dog/catsitter difficulties. I suppose I could have nipped along for an hour on Sunday morning, but we were staying in Docklands so to go to Olympia and back again was a bit of a hike. Next year!

Mike Johnston was a drummer revelation for me, I have to admit I have never been a fan of online lessons as I feel that they loose that personal touch not being in a room with a tutor, so Mike hasnt been a player I have really checked out a lot but after seeing how personable he made his clinic my view has completely changed. Also, came across as a really good chap with time for everyone which was good to see.

I had a ticket for his clinic :( He really is my hero.

Andy what was the deep red 14" snare you had on display? Was it Rosewood or Walnut? I completely forgot to ask you about it.

Sounds as if it might have been the Padauk. I need to ask Andy what he did to it to get it that colour! Mine is much browner.

Roll on the LDS 2016

Absobloodylutely!

17" Amedia Fusion crash. Bright - almost sparkly!

Malleus pedal. I didn't own a decent pedal although I do have one on long-term loan from Liam, so although I wasn't intending to buy one it seemed like a pretty good opportunity. I will admit that one reason I bought it, given that I didn't really need it, was because it was being sold by the chap who designed and made it, in Gloucester. He talked me through the design elements but I'm afraid it went in one ear and out the other; what I retain, and what impressed me enormously, is the fact that it's enormously adjustable to suit and to aid all styles of playing. No excuses for me now!

Malleus pedal's are made in Gloucester did I read that Madge? .
I had tickets for both days this year but then we ran into house/dog/catsitter difficulties. I suppose I could have nipped along for an hour on Sunday morning, but we were staying in Docklands so to go to Olympia and back again was a bit of a hike. Next year!

That would have been too much for you, I would have loved to have been there the Saturday but my partner only came home from a business trip to China around 8am on Saturday morning. Wouldn’t have been fair to her if we had a very quick hello and then I disappeared to London for two full days. Sure I would have been sleeping on the sofa last night if so, ha!. Will look forward to catching up with you in person another time : )

I had a ticket for his clinic :( He really is my hero.

I was really, really impressed by him. Routing for him now.

Sounds as if it might have been the Padauk. I need to ask Andy what he did to it to get it that colour! Mine is much browner.

It may well have been the Padauk looking at Guru's site, tuned lower than the other snares when I played it. Sounded and felt extra special. Stunning.

Malleus pedal's are made in Gloucester did I read that Madge?

It's entirely possible that I made it up, but I don't think so. I'm certain that's what the nice man said, and he definitely had an accent that fits!

Will look forward to catching up with you in person another time : )

We were saying that we really should visit our daughters more often (I miss them!). I'll let you know when we're next planning to go, and see if we can catch you playing somewhere :)

It's entirely possible that I made it up, but I don't think so. I'm certain that's what the nice man said, and he definitely had an accent that fits!

We were saying that we really should visit our daughters more often (I miss them!). I'll let you know when we're next planning to go, and see if we can catch you playing somewhere :)

Ah cool, if they are made there than that would be pretty cool as that's my hometown. I'd have the prouds if so. Great pedals

I'd recommend sending me a pm on here when you know you'll be next in the capital as I've taken a Facebook hiatus the last month or two. Would be great to play host to you both! : )

Thank you everybody for a fantastic weekend of fun! I just about managed to drag myself out of bed in time to get to work this morning. Great effort on the stand by everybody to load out - we did it in record time!

I will blame Caz for my own dancing. At the after-show party on Saturday I needed to sit down, found a seat near her and then she spent her time trying to persuade me to dance. Naturally, after some time her powers worked. I believe Madge has video evidence.

An absolute pleasure to see everybody. Caz, StaggerLee, Henri, Andy, Her Madgesty, Ben, Juniper, David, Liam, Kate and the many others that I may have met and not realised who you were! Thank you!

GREAT photos. You guys ALL look great. Nice shot of you Duncs, and Henri as well. You guys look good. Ben, I almost didn't recognize you. You were really skinny when I met you lol. Both you and your sister have more talent between you than should be allowed by law. I'm sorry I'm not sure who the blondish/reddish haired woman is.

Nice shot of you Jon! I'm sorry I didn't really know who you were when I was there in 2013, I do regret that, dammit! I found out since then that I like your playing a lot.

Madge, really? Could you be ANY cuter? You are truly luminous. I wish could have hung with you guys. I have very cherished memories of my trip to London.

But all this good stuff wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for Andy. Well Bernhard actually.

Long live Drummerworld.

Just for the sake of the uninitiated:

Top photo, left to right. Caz, Keep It Simple, PQleyR, Me (BacteriumFendYoke), Mad About Drums, Magenta and WaitForItDrummer.

Second photo - Mad About Drums, Juniper, Keep It Simple and Me.

Last photo - Keep It Simple and 'mystery visitor'.

12250095_10153685997109266_5552182892723627167_n.jpg

Was lovely to meet you guys! A VERY pleasant surprise was BacteriumFendYoke as the last time i met him was round my house a while back! Andy was a pleasure as always (loved the fact that we were part of the "anti gospel chops zone" and told to just play straight 4/4 which in my opinion was actually a better way to give out the sound of the kit). Was lovely to see Madaboutdrums (who is one of the absolute nicest people you can meet) and overall was a fantastic day :) Lovely to meet everyone, and really upset i missed madge!!!! And lovely to meet all you other fellow forum members :)

Ben, I almost didn't recognize you. You were really skinny when I met you lol.

I thought I still was! Maybe it's the weird crouching pose I was encouraged to adopt for this photo that makes me less skeletal.

I had a lot of fun this year, it was so good to see everyone again. Also I met this guy:

12234969_10153660675662527_7752582673834408729_n.jpg

so that was good! Anika Nilles was awesome and I am seriously looking forward to working on quintuplet grooves when I next get access to a drum kit. Fives are the future of music.

Maybe it was the angle of the shot. Not the one you posted, another one.

attachment.php

I know Karl-Heinz Menzel of world-famous drum company Sonor is to the right, but who's the bloke on the left? =)

You are truly luminous.

Being with some of the people you like - indeed, ,love - most in the whole world will do that to you :)

I wish could have hung with you guys. I have very cherished memories of my trip to London.

There really is a space that should be filled with the American/Australian contingent :(

Long live Drummerworld.

Hear, hear.

I believe Madge has video evidence.

Ahem. https://youtu.be/vPEW1BpxHq4

Honestly I hated the LDS and I'll probably skip it for the years to come. Impossible to test any sort of gear due to the "no noise" restriction. Still trying to understand what's the point of a general audience fair that you cannot even try the gear.

If they just made each booth have a specific time to make noise each hour this problem would be solved. This way I really fail to see what's the point of a fair.

I mean I loved seeing guru's drums but I couldn't try them and understood that the way to try them is paying Andy a visit.

Nice shot of you Jon! I'm sorry I didn't really know who you were when I was there in 2013, I do regret that, dammit! I found out since then that I like your playing a lot.

Hey no worries Larry, I'd joined but hardly posted on here back in 2013 if I recall correctly. Don't sweat it. And very kind of you on the playing.

2016 can't come soon enough. Always great when the UK drumming community all gets together from all over the land(s) for two days. Wish it could happen more.

Back