London Drum Show forum report

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
... but I know he just goes weak at the knees when I'm around.
Don't we all :)

IBTW, did anyone spot Mrs. Guru on any of the videos? It's her first time at LDS, & despite her best efforts at hating it, she had a great time. She's still jaded from her time as drum widow back in the 80's.
I thoroughly enjoyed Mrs Guru company and discussions, she's also took great care of us during the entire show, I hope Mrs Guru will attend other LDS in the future. :)

StaggerLee

Silver Member
No, you were great Oliver, and after some hunting on YouTube I found this clip :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7fzKdyq5I

There! You're not left out anymore <3
Yay thankies :D Trying my best to stick to Andy's strict instructions on only playing the billy jean beat.... i dont think the other guy got the memmo :s

Was truly lovely to see you all guys though still gutted i missed you madge :( And lovely to see andy with his lovely incredibly pleasant personality and oozing happiness :)

gdmoore28

Gold Member
As much as I love the Guru Groove ;) it would still be nice to see some photos of some of the other gear on display at the London show. Anybody who attended have 40-50 more pics taken at the scene of the crime? Would love to see them.

GeeDeeEmm

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I thoroughly enjoyed Mrs Guru company and discussions, she's also took great care of us during the entire show, I hope Mrs Guru will attend other LDS in the future. :)
I think she will Henri. She genuinely enjoyed herself hanging with everyone, & the after party jam performances in particular.

( And lovely to see andy with his lovely incredibly pleasant personality and oozing happiness :)
Even after I insulted your dress sense so publicly? Of course, I was joking :)

Funny that we get along so well because I've always tended to follow the line of least resistance :)
Opposites Grea - opposites :)

As much as I love the Guru Groove ;) it would still be nice to see some photos of some of the other gear on display at the London show. Anybody who attended have 40-50 more pics taken at the scene of the crime? Would love to see them.

GeeDeeEmm
Agreed. I usually get to wander before the show starts & take a bunch of photo's. Unfortunately, it didn't work out like that this year. I'm sure a range of photo's will surface.

In the mean time, there were some gems. LDS has a main theatre stage, & a masterclass stage. On the masterclass stage, Pete Ray Biggin (Level 42's current drummer) was scheduled for a class, but nobody expected Mark King to pitch in on the fun. Here's a couple of clips, the first featuring Mark on drums :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJNTsZ2dAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLkrzi61SE

crystal20

It was a fantastic weekend! Being on the Guru stand with Andrew + Co was an absolute dream. Meeting the crowd (I hope to learn who everybody is over the next few weeks) was awesome. Fantastic people. Andrew's previous experience of the show was invaluable too, he knows the perfect food spots! Great to meet Madge, talk pedals, and actually tweak the settings for her as she played! Apologies for the slight 'thread hi-jack', it was the best way to 'join the forum!'

Mark - Malleus

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a US equivalent to this show? One that regular Joes can attend?
PASIC convention would be the nearest dedicated percussion show. LDS & PASIC are of similar size. Last show has just gone, 2nd week November. I'm assuming next year's event will be around the same time.

London Drum Show has grown significantly since it's start 6 years ago, but especially in the last two years. Of course, it's not on the total scale of general music industry shows such as NAMM & Musikmesse, but it's now one of the two biggest dedicated global drumming events. It occupies 2 full floors of Olympia centre. 120+ exhibitors, a main stage theatre, a masterclass suite, and an education zone. It attracts around 5,000 visitors / day.

WaitForItDrummer

Hi everyone,
Sorry been MIA from this thread, work, practice, rehearsals all week, you get the idea...

But the LDS was awesome! So much fun! Still smiling!
It was great to see you guys, Madge, Andy, Henti, Caz, Alex, Ben, Juniper...

Peter Erskine's show was amazing, vids on FB.
Also saw Pete Cater, British jazz drummer, filling in for Harvey Madon who couldn't make it, Mike Johnston (great chops and sense of humour), Ian Thomas, Anika Nilles (great energy and stage presence!) Gabor Dörnyei's Thunder duo (very human sound).

Lots of workshops, impromptu jams, it was awesome! Still smiling :)

Larry, the reddish blond was me! :)

Kate

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It may well have been the Padauk looking at Guru's site, tuned lower than the other snares when I played it. Sounded and felt extra special. Stunning.
Sorry Jon, I forgot to answer this. Yes, it's thin shell padauk, & it's wonderful. Padauk has a "bark" all of it's own. Distinctive as maple, if not more prominently so. Frequently used for marimba for it's tonality as a replacement for Brazilian rosewood. One of my absolute favourites. I can do you something special on that if you're interested :)

I need to ask Andy what he did to it to get it that colour! Mine is much browner
I completely refinished it a few days before the show. It has its aged vibe going on, but with some of the new burnt orange coming through from sanding off most of the old outer layer. It's about 1 days work to completely refinish your drum, but it will return to the colour it is now within 3 years. That's just how padauk ages, & I can't defeat nature. Personally, I love the aged finish of padauk. I refinished this one because I felt I could do a better job than the original finish.

But the LDS was awesome! So much fun! Still smiling!
It was great to see you guys, Madge, Andy, Henti, Caz, Alex, Ben, Juniper...
Kate
Excellent! Always a pleasure to meet you Kate. I'm sorry I didn't have longer to chat. I'm always too busy at these events :(

Looking back at the photo I notice I have my hand on Caroline's leg - oh dear :( Caroline, I'm sorry for that. Just a knackered guy needing some support / stability.

Juniper

Gold Member
Sorry Jon, I forgot to answer this. Yes, it's thin shell padauk, & it's wonderful. Padauk has a "bark" all of it's own. Distinctive as maple, if not more prominently so. Frequently used for marimba for it's tonality as a replacement for Brazilian rosewood. One of my absolute favourites. I can do you something special on that if you're interested :)
Ooh, sounds interesting

When the cash flow situation allows for a new snare believe me I'll remember this ; ) it's a lovely snare.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Awesome got to hear Andy's voice to match his face. Love the British accent and how "y'all" pronounce "Aluminum". I have a real real Southern, Southern US accent so "y'all" can make fun of my accent-if and when I attend the LDS-hell yeah. Eh reminds of a true story. Back in the early 70s I was on a cruise in the Caribbean with my long blonde locks and cannabis tank top. I kept talking to these girls on the ship and they wouldn't give me the time of day. Finally one day the told me they thought it was inappropriate for a deck hand to be hitting on the passengers-they thought I was Norwegian-it was a Norwegian line. I about rolled off the ship.

Malleus Man

Meeting you Mark was definitely a highlight of this year's show, I also thoroughly enjoyed our discussion about your pedal design with Ben in the pub :)
That was quite the conversation. It's comforting to know, you have the exact same logic as I do when it comes to pedal physics. We must of bounced ideas off each other for at least 2 hours, bliss!

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I'd love to attend the London Drum Show because---(in my best Southern draw) ........ho,ho,ho,ho

Last edited: