LIVE VS. STUDIO

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
So what you guys rather do, play in the studio or live gigs? Both have their advantages and I'm just wondering about what you think. Also, even when it comes to your gear, do you think you would get to know your drums better in the studio or on a live gig?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I wish I was at the level to be asked to play in a studio on a regular basis, but from what I understand, alot of guys are tracking drums in their homes and shooting files to other virtual studios alot these days. I look at guys like Keltner, and Harvey Mason, among the very few (maybe 7) guys in L.A. that make up the studio scene here and figure I'll never get that far (there's only thousands of guys who want to do it too that are better than me).

So I'm happy to get to do whatever I get called to do. I can only prepare to "not blow it" and to be socially professional when the chance presents itself.

verdugo_123

it is so DIFFERENT that people are watching you playing Live than in studio.
it is different when you are playing with hundreds of people at your Front>>>
<<<Totally>>>

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'm an introvert so I much prefer playing in studios to gigging. I enjoy gigs that go well, but I find them draining.

yesdog

Silver Member
I love both, I like the challenge when recording to make every note sound perfect and not hearing the click when you are right on the money. I like playing live as well, there is no better feeling than having the crowd dancing and having a great time. I also like the spontaneous moments that can happen when playing live ( good or bad ). Live and Studio are very different from each other, but both are just as enjoyable to me.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If it was up to me I would only play certain live gigs.
I don't really care about playing live.
Most of the people that I play with want to gig, so I gig.
They will take all sorts of stupid gigs that I would never take.
I like big private party gigs the best.
Most Clubs Suck!
Privare parties are fun!
The people there have something in common with each other so they interact differently.

I love the studio. I feel relaxed and at home there.
I never feel nervous in studio.
I can hear everything, I can play much better that I can live.

I also just like to play with musicians in my home studio.
Not for the sake of making a hit recording that sells millions of copies.
Just for the sake of playing and making a great recording that we can be proud of ourselves for making.

Being that the economy is so bad and there are not many good gigs.
I suggested about a year ago to one of my bands that we stop gigging and we just get together once a week and work really hard at playing really well for ourselves.
I suggested that we all study harder privately also.
Their attitude was this, Why play if there are no gigs.
I guess that I play for a different reason than they do!

By the way, The worst player in the band, The one that never practices, and makes the same mistakes, in the same places, in the same songs, week after week, is usually the one that wants to gig live the most!
Just an observation.

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Good question Joe, I guess I'm with Yesdog on this. I like both for different reasons. Gigging is all about the moment, the buzz, the vibe, the power of driving the kit through a nice PA, the audience appreciation/participation. Studio is all about creation, capture, innovation, chill & immersion for me.

I think I get to know my drums more intimately in the studio for sure. That said, it's a close call for me as I get great enjoyment out of tuning my kit at any time. Either live or studio, it's the same mindset, just a different approach.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I like both, and it's hard to say why, but I try to split them 50/50 and that keeps me happy.

It doesn't always turn out the way I want, for example, this year I have been playing WAY more live gigs than last year, and last year I spend WAY more time in studios than playing live.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Live!

No doubt about it. I just much prefer the vibe offered by a live gig. I do love the fact that I'm able to hear everything in a studio environment, but it's playing live on a stage with a good band that's always made me happiest.

ChipJohns

Definitely love both.

Live is live. For those of us who are entertainers, this is most necessary. Of course to make enough money, usually you need to be willing to travel quite a bit, (unless you live in NY, LA, Atlanta, etc.)

On the other hand, studio work keeps you at home, relatively speaking. And, today, depending on your gigs and equipment, you many never have to leave home! That's nice when you have a family.

--

Afterthought; A great live gig, although it doesn't pay an awful lot, is Disney. Live and home every night!

Last edited:

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
When I play in the studio its forever. I always feel like I'm making history. When a live gig is over, that's it. its over. There are plenty of live gigs I wish i had recordings of, and then again there are plenty of live gigs I hope no one has recordings of. ha!!

I love the studio but nothing beats the rush of having a crowd that came there to see you. Well or at least the artist i'm playing for. lol.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Perhaps I'm just getting old Joe but playing live has lost its luster for me over the past few years.
I do still like outdoor gigs when the weather is perfect. There is nothing like looking at a sunset on a cool clear eve while I am playing at a town fair or carnival or something like that.

The rest I could take of leave.
It must be middle age setting in.

I always want to play the live gig but when I actually get there I usually change my mind.
There is always something that happens that just plain pisses me off at the venue.
The getting there early and waiting around, An Idiot sound man, A technical problem, A performance time change, You know, Little stupid things.
By the third set I am tired and bored.

I'm not a pro so I have to move equipment. I actually don't mind that!
I like to set up, tear down and load up.
It's relaxing.
Weird Huh!

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Perhaps I'm just getting old Joe but playing live has lost its luster for me over the past few years.
I do still like outdoor gigs when the weather is perfect. There is nothing like looking at a sunset on a cool clear eve while I am playing at a town fair or carnival or something like that.

The rest I could take of leave.
It must be middle age setting in.

I always want to play the live gig but when I actually get there I usually change my mind.
There is always something that happens that just plain pisses me off at the venue.
The getting there early and waiting around, An Idiot sound man, A technical problem, A performance time change, You know, Little stupid things.
By the third set I am tired and bored.

I'm not a pro so I have to move equipment. I actually don't mind that!
I like to set up, tear down and load up.
It's relaxing.
Weird Huh!
Well I'm sorry to hear that man, you share a lot of good info here and obviously your knowledgeable (is that a word). I hear you though, trust me i have been to the point where if I check into one more hotel im just gonna puke. I also have had it with all the above mentioned things you talked about. It happens on all levels. Some nights are better than others but I am always so grateful to be on stage. I love it!!!! It's weird and yea I have played some really nice venues from Red Rocks to Madison Square Garden and this saturday I am playing a Mexican Resturant. ha!! I will have a good time. Also yea, its natural to get sick of all the bull!! especially for us middle aged guys but I'm sure there are gigs you still enjoy and I'm sure while your playing you are having fun. I hope so. All the best.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Live is where the rubber meets the road. You put all that time and effort into new tracks and then see how people respond to them.

I think being in the studio is icing on the cake. You become part of something that will last and can be shared years from now. Like you say, it's making a small part of history and I really enjoy that as well.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Well, maybe a bit against the grain here. I have red light fever. Hit record and my brain freezes. Get it right, get it right, no, don't try anything new there, ouch, you couldn't just play it straight though, you had to try something and now you have to either punch or re-do the whole thing...

Live, it's all about using the music to connect with people. See their heads bobbing, toes tapping, bootys shaking. The energy of the other band members and the audience.

To me, studio work is like music in a vacuum. Especially in the piece by piece assembly process common nowadays.

Make a small glitch live and it's lost in the energy of the evening. Make even a tiny little glitch in a session, and it haunts you forever.

I did one guitar session for a guy that I'd done a live showcase with. He liked something in the arrangement that we worked out and brought me in to the place he was polishing up his tracks. But they put me in the control room with my amp in the main room and I had to play listening to the whole mix though the NS10's. The part he liked took a lot of touch to get the notes to sustain and play evenly. I could do it easily sitting next to my amp. But by remote control it was really difficult. He kept the track and it's on the CD but I felt like he was disapointed.

con struct

Platinum Member
I guess I could live in a recording studio. I could happily spend the rest of my life playing and recording good music. I've always loved recording sessions. I can remember only one time when I had a bad experience at a recording session, and hundreds of times when I had bad experiences playing live.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Well I'm sorry to hear that man, you share a lot of good info here and obviously your knowledgeable (is that a word). I hear you though, trust me i have been to the point where if I check into one more hotel im just gonna puke. I also have had it with all the above mentioned things you talked about. It happens on all levels. Some nights are better than others but I am always so grateful to be on stage. I love it!!!! It's weird and yea I have played some really nice venues from Red Rocks to Madison Square Garden and this saturday I am playing a Mexican Resturant. ha!! I will have a good time. Also yea, its natural to get sick of all the bull!! especially for us middle aged guys but I'm sure there are gigs you still enjoy and I'm sure while your playing you are having fun. I hope so. All the best.
You say that you are sorry to hear that.
The weird thing is that I'm not depressed. I'm happy! I like being close to my home.
I don't want to go out and explore anymore.
I have a vacation home and a time share. I haven't been to them in over two years!
I was offered a summer tour with a blues band and I didn't take it.
I've been there and I've done that so to speak.

I privately learn new drumming things that I never play with my bands.
Mostly because they couldn't play them!
If I tried to play what I have learned with my bandmates, they simply wouldn't understand.

It all started a few years ago when I suffered a mild stroke. I took up the drums after a 15 year sabatical.
I set up my kit and I began to play. I soon took up with a local blues band after I recovered and I started to gig. I did this for about four years.
I then joined another band. I got back on the local circuit so to speak.

I began to really study Jazz. I went inside myself and I never wanted to come out again.
I tried to seek out local Jazz muso's to play with, When I couldn't find any. I simply went into my own world so to speak.

I continue to go through the motions with the bands that I play with. I play the tunes that they play. I put up with a bass player that doesn't play like I would like him to, and the guitar player that hasn't learned a new trick in twenty years. It doesn't bother me. I play with them and I enjoy it.

I am Numb, Numb to the point that it doesn't bother me anymore.
Numb, But happy, Happy because I have obtained a personal level of play that I simply do not care to share.

Perhaps it's just a mid life phase that I am going through. A prerequisite of things to come!
There may be something more out there for me. Something that I was ordained to do.
Perhaps I am just resting up for it.
I am enjoying this feeling though!
I come home from work each night and I learn something new, Something that I never took the time to learn about drumming before.
This gives me great personal satisfaction.
It is a private quest.
I know, I rant and I'm weird!

Last edited:

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Hmm...

Live gigs are a very energetic situations, something fun and entertaining for the entertainers and the audience. I'd love to be able to play with all the energy I could muster, go crazy, stick tricks, make sure the drummer isn't the guy in the back anymore! I could be the reason some are there to see the band, or not, but that's beside the point. It would be a lot of fun.

Studio time is peaceful, contemplative, and full of concentration. It's where a mistake is worth money, which is a very precarious thing. I suppose if I were in a studio, it would mean I would be pretty good already, so...

Can I have both?

If not, then I'd say live gigs.

BillBachman

Gold Member
I like both, but I might prefer studio for the thrill of coming away with a tangible product that people can then download and "share" illegally.

I find that the details of the gear come out really quickly in the studio as the drums are under the microscope.

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
You say that you are sorry to hear that.
The weird thing is that I'm not depressed. I'm happy! I like being close to my home.
I don't want to go out and explore anymore.
I have a vacation home and a time share. I haven't been to them in over two years!
I was offered a summer tour with a blues band and I didn't take it.
I've been there and I've done that so to speak.

I privately learn new drumming things that I never play with my bands.
Mostly because they couldn't play them!
If I tried to play what I have learned with my bandmates, they simply wouldn't understand.

It all started a few years ago when I suffered a mild stroke. I took up the drums after a 15 year sabatical.
I set up my kit and I began to play. I soon took up with a local blues band after I recovered and I started to gig. I did this for about four years.
I then joined another band. I got back on the local circuit so to speak.

I began to really study Jazz. I went inside myself and I never wanted to come out again.
I tried to seek out local Jazz muso's to play with, When I couldn't find any. I simply went into my own world so to speak.

I continue to go through the motions with the bands that I play with. I play the tunes that they play. I put up with a bass player that doesn't play like I would like him to, and the guitar player that hasn't learned a new trick in twenty years. It doesn't bother me. I play with them and I enjoy it.

I am Numb, Numb to the point that it doesn't bother me anymore.
Numb, But happy, Happy because I have obtained a personal level of play that I simply do not care to share.

Perhaps it's just a mid life phase that I am going through. A prerequisite of things to come!
There may be something more out there for me. Something that I was ordained to do.
Perhaps I am just resting up for it.
I am enjoying this feeling though!
I come home from work each night and I learn something new, Something that I never took the time to learn about drumming before.
This gives me great personal satisfaction.
It is a private quest.
I know, I rant and I'm weird!
I totally understand believe it or not, and well I'm happy for you. As long as drumming is bringing joy into your life, that's all that is important on any level.