live gig footage...

ddrumman2004

Good job! Our band does that song but the only problem I have is the buzz roll in the song. I'm not able to do one due to a hand injury.

Our lead guitar player, however, plays this song note for note and his guitar sounds just like the original!

Great song....the crowds love to dance to it!

eric_B

Thanks! Yeah, people like it. Songs with recognizable intros seem to work well, like this one, Whiskey in the jar, Summer of 69 or whatever.

We starting playing it not too long ago and it needs work, the guitar solo is more improvisation than accurate. And I threw in kicks on the 'and' of 4 several times, doesn't sound too good. Although we don't particularly try to do 100% covers all the time.

It is a simple beat but somehow those 4ths on the hihat are a bit tricky because I'm used to playing 8ths. But that will become better in time.

ddrumman2004

I can't get the bass part down note for note myself so I just play the basic beat with a few notes thrown in when needed...or I think they are needed.

Thing is, the crowds we play for don't really care if we play the song exact......or any of the other cover songs we do. As long as it has a decent beat and is something they are familiar with, they will dance and that, to me, is what playing drums is about. Get the crowd on the floor!

After all, if one wants to hear live music done exactly like it was recorded, just turn on a radio or pop in a CD. But most of all.....HAVE FUN doing it!

eric_B

Yeah, that bass part seems to have a strange logic to it, I play what seems good to me. That's how we play most covers: try to catch the mood and some characteristics of the song so people recognize it.

And you're right, it IS all about the fun, that's whyevery one of us joined the band. We won't get rich or famous, it's just a hobby. But it's great learning to play songs and then have the gigs where you can play for a crowd and not just for yourself and you everyone enjoying themselves.

What kind of covers or music do you play?