Live BPM

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I use that now and then, the only issue I have is that it displays the tempo in absolute real time. That means it's constantly 'flickering' through 100th of a bpm fluctuations. It's a little maddening and distracting. Would be better if it showed 1/10 of a bpm, and refreshed every 1/2 second or so.

But, a very handy app for sure!

Bermuda

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I use it all the time. I love it. If you use it just as a general guide and you don't sacrifice the feel of the song
while trying to keep the BPM exactly on tempo, it works great.

I especially like using it for rehearsals.

ottog1979

I use it exactly as the other posters here and love it. I just check it now & then to be sure tempo's not running away.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Let's say your song is 120 BPM. If you notice your tempo ranges from 117 to 123 would you consider that acceptable? For me anyway I tend to speed up just a bit maybe doing a fill into a chorus for example then seem to settle back. Nobody seems to notice so I'm not too concerned.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Let's say your song is 120 BPM. If you notice your tempo ranges from 117 to 123 would you consider that acceptable? For me anyway I tend to speed up just a bit maybe doing a fill into a chorus for example then seem to settle back. Nobody seems to notice so I'm not too concerned.
I would not consider that acceptable. The range in feel from 117-123 is too great. I consider ±2 to be ok, but not ideal, but not the full range of 4. It wouldn't be so bad if you started at 120, slowed to 117, and then maybe hopped back up to 120 on the chorus, but 117 to 123 is too much variation in my opinion. This is based solely on my assuming you are talking about modern pop (enter your genre here).

I have the app and I like it quite a bit. It is great for those times when you don't need to use a click live, but you still want to make sure everything is where it needs to be. 100 bpm can sound different to you depending on how you are feeling, level of tiredness, excitement, etc.

You mention that you speed up in fills. LiveBPM can easily be confused by fills or anything with seemingly odd phrasing.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I've used it for a good long while now and think it's great. There's no better feeling than playing a song and checking the display every now and then to see the bpm and the graph display absolutely rock solid. I've also been enlightened with how some songs really jump in the bpm during a solo etc and yet holding it back would be the thing that makes it sound "wrong".

TK-421

I've been using it too, and I think a great addition to it would be to add a metronome function. That way you can dial in the right tempo to start off a song, and once it detects a beat, it automatically converts to "live BPM" mode.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I would not consider that acceptable. The range in feel from 117-123 is too great. I consider ±2 to be ok, but not ideal, but not the full range of 4.
Just for a contrary opinion, I would consider that an acceptable range.

For balance though, I think how quickly you fluctuated would be more of an issue than the fact that you are within +- 3 of your target bpm.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
When I mentioned the 117 123 range that was the most out I was during the night. Maybe it was the song I was singing, I only sing one song all night. With that said for the most night I was pretty close never dead on but thats human I guess.

Ipromise

Live BPM has been the most valuable money I've spent on drumming, and it's only $5! It's improved my time by leaps and bounds.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Live BPM has been the most valuable money I've spent on drumming, and it's only $5! It's improved my time by leaps and bounds.
It summarises my opinion quite well.
The least expensive and most educative thing you can buy as a drummer.

hawksmoor

I use it all the time in rehearsals and gigs, but like Bermuda said a couple of years ago on this thread, because it shows in increments of a BPM, you could start and finish the song technically at say 96BPM, but you could've ranged from 96.9 to 96.01, or whatever, the increments are, so even if you haven't strayed one single BPM, the graph still looks dispiritingly like a lie-detector test afterwards.

AxisDrummer

I use it during rehearsals (or rather my singer/guitarist forces me to use it to show me how terrible my meter is....)

I've seen someone use it during a show, with the phone mounted to a cymbal stand at the front of the kit. And while his tempo is rock solid, he's staring at the phone ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

My meter may be all over the place,, but at a live show I try to look lively back there and get into the song, make eye contact with band, crowd, etc....put on a show.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I use it during rehearsals (or rather my singer/guitarist forces me to use it to show me how terrible my meter is....)

I've seen someone use it during a show, with the phone mounted to a cymbal stand at the front of the kit. And while his tempo is rock solid, he's staring at the phone ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

My meter may be all over the place,, but at a live show I try to look lively back there and get into the song, make eye contact with band, crowd, etc....put on a show.

when I first use it during rehearsal, this is what the other musicians reproached. The phone was on the right of my bass pedal and I kept staring at it.
With time, I learnt to be more stable tempo wise and take a glimpse now and then during rehearsal and even less during concert. I check it out each time the dynamic changes in the song. I try not to vary more than 4 points.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I use it all the time in rehearsals and gigs, but like Bermuda said a couple of years ago on this thread, because it shows in increments of a BPM, you could start and finish the song technically at say 96BPM, but you could've ranged from 96.9 to 96.01, or whatever, the increments are, so even if you haven't strayed one single BPM, the graph still looks dispiritingly like a lie-detector test afterwards.
Yeah, you can't live or die by it or you'll go crazy. But it's a great reference to show when you stray, and by how much. It lets me know what sections I tend to push or pull, or be led astray by someone else pushing or pulling, and I can correct. Very modestly of course, over-correction can be more obvious than letting the song move a few BPMs one way or the other.

I don't use the app much anymore, I've identified my demons although I still occasionally like to check my inner clock. I usually don't monitor it too much during the song, that can drive me nuts. I mostly just review at the end to see how I did. As long as I've stay within 2 BPM of the established tempo, I'm doing pretty good.

Bermuda

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I love the app too. I use it in rehearsal and at gigs occasionally when I just don't feel right and it gets in my head that I'm rushing or dragging. THis always makes me feel better.

I also use it to listen to new songs my band is learning, to figure out their BPM. Play the original song on computer or stereo, and fire up the phone.

Mongrel

Silver Member
I use that now and then, the only issue I have is that it displays the tempo in absolute real time. That means it's constantly 'flickering' through 100th of a bpm fluctuations. It's a little maddening and distracting. Would be better if it showed 1/10 of a bpm, and refreshed every 1/2 second or so.

But, a very handy app for sure!

Bermuda
THIS^^^^

I never got to the point where I could look away from it. lol I had to stop using it because my time is better without it.

The best use for it for me is to measure "old" tunes and see just how much fluctuation there was on them. In that role it is actually a confidence builder.

;)

PetesPonies

The small increments don't bother me at all. No reason to even pay attention to them. Just look at the whole number. Lots of other stuff to pay attention to. .not sure why some are worried about the decimals?? As for playing with a tempo machine, I think they are great. It has solved several band arguments in the past. I had a tempoRef. I challenged anyone to have a better since of time than the computer chip :) as far as fluctuation, moving up or down 2 bpm isn't a big deal in my mind, but as mentioned, depends on whether it s a gradual up and then a gradual down . you're not going to notice that. If I notice I'm dragging, for example, I just work my way up to where it should be. Don't try to do it all in the very next hit. Cool devices.