Left foot stuff

KamaK

Platinum Member
Had a lesson today with a bit of time focusing on my left foot. I've been trying to do stuff other than maintaining a steady HH pulse. I'm already able to iterate the hat through 16th over a few ostinati, but today was surprisingly difficult.

Does anyone have any audio examples of what the end-game to this is? I'm looking for grooves that incorporate this instead of money-beat permutations. I have a few Steve Smith grooves that this applies to, and I can sorta see how Karlock replaces ghost notes with hat clicks, but am at a loss for other examples of how and where to apply this.

porter

Platinum Member
Well, here's the canonical example...

Other than that, I mean, you can put up an ostinato while soloing. But there's not a massive repertoire, I think. I like using the left foot in comping in jazz but can't think of a great example at the moment.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Well, here's the canonical example...

Other than that, I mean, you can put up an ostinato while soloing. But there's not a massive repertoire, I think. I like using the left foot in comping in jazz but can't think of a great example at the moment.
Thank you. At the moment, I'm doing some experimentation with the Smith notion of it. Kick/hat/snare are linear while the right hand plays over top. Metaphysically, it feels like I'm rolling a triangle down a hill.