Left Foot in the "Floating Double Bass" Technique

uniongoon

Gold Member
Virgil Donati does a circular roundhouse movement when he get up to speed on his single strokes. He admits it is something that just happens and is neither advantageous or detrimental. Just a physical quirk he has acquired.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
8th notes at 120 are going to be in the leg motion area.

It will feel very forced if your trying to do any ankle playing.

16th notes at 120 i to do a hybrid of leg ankle.

16th at 150 it becomes more ankle and from there up its all ankle.

Mind you, I've been playing for YEARS. it takes a long time to get to the speeds where just ankle is required.. take your time and don't go too fast too soon.

google swivle technique and see if that is what you are doing accidentaly. if your not trying to swivel slow it down a tad.. burning unnecessary energy is never the plan... also extra sideways rotations can hurt the joints after years too. I know guys who did swivel technique for years wrecked their knees.

DrOshawott

Not sure what you mean by "floating double bass"

are you referring to heel up playing?

there are tempo shifts where it goes from leg, to leg and ankle, to full ankle.

the best thing to suggest is to use a metronome and increase it and play to it.. it takes a long time to get good at this.. if your pushing to far to fast your ankle will start to swivel to get the hits.

That being said the swivel technique is a way that some drumers will get good at and be able to play very fast using it.

are you doing 16th notes?

how long have you been working at double bass?
It's the ankle technique where your heel is "floating" or just simply a small bit above the footboard. It's essential for the swivel technique, which is what I want to learn but still need work on my left.

I do 8th notes at around 120bpm. I wouldn't say I've really been working on it for a while, it's just a thing I recently discovered with my left.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
My left leg is all over the place! But the ball of my foot is always connected to my pedal. I also play the double bass pedal close to the hihat so I can catch both of them simultaneously.

One thing we tend to do as drummers is to undulate in strange places; It's just energy that needs to go somewhere. There's no need to be totally stoic when you play as long as it does not interfere with your time. If anything such movement tends to help it.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Not sure what you mean by "floating double bass"

are you referring to heel up playing?

there are tempo shifts where it goes from leg, to leg and ankle, to full ankle.

the best thing to suggest is to use a metronome and increase it and play to it.. it takes a long time to get good at this.. if your pushing to far to fast your ankle will start to swivel to get the hits.

That being said the swivel technique is a way that some drumers will get good at and be able to play very fast using it.

are you doing 16th notes?

how long have you been working at double bass?

DrOshawott

My left leg is horrid at this technique. I still end up using more of my leg instead of the ankle. I've also noticed my left foot does a sweeping motion when I attempt this technique, but I have no idea if this actually affects my ability at this.

Any tips or ways to practice this technique for my left leg and in general?