Lead singers who like to use our bass drums as a leg rest...

Anon La Ply

Renegade
That was part of the issue. He thought everything was fine because we couldn't identify where the crack sound came from, as in we couldn't see anything. I'll admit, it still sounds fine so he got lucky there, but that was a tense practice after that. Worst part was, I had told him on a few occasions not to do that again before he harms something. At least the cracking noise finally got him to stop and admit it's not good for it.
Good to know that a crack isn't necessarily a death sentence for the drum (or the friendship). I guess the crack means the drum's structural integrity is reduced and it's more vulnerable to subsequent damage.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
As I'm sure you all have experienced at one time or another, drumsticks hurt pretty good when smacked with one.
They are even more painful if well thrown. I played with a guy in junior high who could hit your finger at 10 feet with the stick. Bass player flipped him off and when he lower his hand the drummer zinged a 5A at him. Maybe it was a lucky throw but it drew blood on the tip of the bass players finger. Ahh, nothing like young rebellion.

As for the "star" thing, I've had folks come by after concerts and play my rig. If they were drunk or abusive, I gave 'em the hook quickly. Most have been cool. Fortunately, I've not had to deal with any coked out jackasses, just stoned or drunk folks that sheepled off when they knew they weren't happening.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Why bust peoples' chops for a scenario that is very unlikely to happen, and is probably beyond the scope of the OP's intention, anyway. Silliness, I say! lol

Its very clear its happening. My hypothetical may be more distant, tho it brings to light that it really is the situation/people involved that'll garner or hinder a macho response. Every drummer agrees they want their gear respected, thats not in question.

I heard from a bass player friend that a guitar player used the drummers bass drum as a chair at their gig, sat right on the front of it for most of the night. I personally know the drummer, not well, but from gigs here/there. My bass player friend ( who's also a drummer with a nice PEARL MASTERS 4 ply kit) came quickly to the conclusion the drummer wanted to keep the gig, not make waves. We both agreed we wouldn't stand for such behaviour.

The said drummer may have the same outlook, might have talked to the guitar player after the show, but definitely not between a song.

So a lot of people say they'll take a certain action based on principle, tho circumstances and the people involved dictate what action if any will be taken.

Would you tell that person off if that person were in a position to further your employment?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Would you tell that person off if that person were in a position to further your employment?
Well, I've done it before, so I'm going to say yes, depending on the circumstances. I didn't get this poor by kissing ass, you know. (This is where I would normally insert a winking emoticon, but I don't want to be perceived as a drooling idiot...)

It's not really a matter of principle for me, though I'd like to say I refuse to work for someone I don't respect. Really, it's just a matter of not having very good filters. I'll never be a politician.

Last edited:

AZStickman

Its one instance.

What if Madonna is playing the arena down the street and pops into the club after the show and sits in to play material girl, steps on your bass drum, then after the song she tells you with a smile "Nice groove drummer boy".

What are going to do really, tell her off?
Doubt it will ever happen at the venues I play. I will cross that bridge when I get to it and report back to you....... Terry

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Thats as bad as the lead singer grabbing a drumstick & hitting your resonant bass drum head...wtf... both call for extreme measures very extreme.....lol

Bonzolead

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Thats as bad as the lead singer grabbing a drumstick & hitting your resonant bass drum head...wtf... both call for extreme measures very extreme.....lol

Bonzolead

And as bad as a beer being spilled into a monitor wedge, seen that, the sound man flipped out.