Last Day for NAMM badges!

M

Matt Bo Eder

So the big show is coming up. And today I was notified that this is the last day to get your badge. I plan on doing better and being more into the show. Any special requests this year?

barryabko

I believe yesterday was the last day for free badges. Badges are still able to be registered but with some associated cost depending on badge type. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I believe yesterday was the last day for free badges. Badges are still able to be registered but with some associated cost depending on badge type. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe that's true.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi Matt, could you check if Natal is at the show and if so, if the have a Cafe Racer kit out and how does it sound if they let you on it? Also if they have a Walnut kit. I would appreciate your reviews.

Thanks,
Force3005

M

Matt Bo Eder

Hi Matt, could you check if Natal is at the show and if so, if the have a Cafe Racer kit out and how does it sound if they let you on it? Also if they have a Walnut kit. I would appreciate your reviews.

Thanks,
Force3005
I remember Natal being there last year. I'm sure I could play whatever they have, but anybody on the main floor just won't sound good. There's too much noise in there. I'll bring a video camera though ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It struck me...the lack of pride in tuning kits when I was at NAMM in 2015 (Thanks again Bo for that opp)

I mean I wanted to hear these gorgeous kits tuned to perfection but no, that doesn't matter. It kind of put me off.

There were exceptions of course but the large majority of kits sounded like GC kits.

DC drums, were friggin awesome. Tuned well, what a great tone.

Brady snares, meh. Real slop tuning, and not good slop either. Not knocking the drums but cmon, tune them. What else do you have to do after you're set up?

I don't get it, no matter who explains it. Low standards is all it is to me.

M

Matt Bo Eder

It struck me...the lack of pride in tuning kits when I was at NAMM in 2015 (Thanks again Bo for that opp)

I mean I wanted to hear these gorgeous kits tuned to perfection but no, that doesn't matter. It kind of put me off.

There were exceptions of course but the large majority of kits sounded like GC kits.

Brady snares, meh. Real slop tuning, and not good slop either. Not knocking the drums but cmon, tune them. What else do you have to do after you're set up?

I'll bring a key with me this time ;)

evilg99

Platinum Member

Yeah, +1. No excuse for this, really. I've been to many large trade shows - exhibitors generally take care that their displays/equipment/literature, etc... are looking and working well. I mean, why else are they there?

M

Matt Bo Eder

Yeah, +1. No excuse for this, really. I've been to many large trade shows - exhibitors generally take care that their displays/equipment/literature, etc... are looking and working well. I mean, why else are they there?
True. But at the same time, what is any trade convention? It's retailers meeting buyers to hopefully get their products in the stores for consumers to buy. And those people aren't necessarily players. Technically, the customer buying the end product isn't even supposed too be there. We traditionally go to the stores to see what's new, right? So part of me is not surprised that instruments don't sound great. Heck, some drums you can't even play anyway (the Tama and Gretsch booths were not conducive to playing the drums). I think the attitude is more eye-candy.

evilg99

Platinum Member
True. But at the same time, what is any trade convention? It's retailers meeting buyers to hopefully get their products in the stores for consumers to buy. And those people aren't necessarily players. Technically, the customer buying the end product isn't even supposed too be there. We traditionally go to the stores to see what's new, right? So part of me is not surprised that instruments don't sound great. Heck, some drums you can't even play anyway (the Tama and Gretsch booths were not conducive to playing the drums). I think the attitude is more eye-candy.
Yes, I agree that it's all eye candy and also it's beer/car commercial marketing tactics : don't sell the product, sell the lifestyle/feeling/social status.
But in this day and age - fortunately or unfortunately - You Tube videos of pro drummers demonstrating the new products - badly tuned and badly recorded - are the rule. That is really how the word gets out....and I'm betting that companies are betting on those very same videos playing a very important role into weather or not a product is even going to be made...getting a feel how it's accepted.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Yes, I agree that it's all eye candy and also it's beer/car commercial marketing tactics : don't sell the product, sell the lifestyle/feeling/social status.
But in this day and age - fortunately or unfortunately - You Tube videos of pro drummers demonstrating the new products - badly tuned and badly recorded - are the rule. That is really how the word gets out....and I'm betting that companies are betting on those very same videos playing a very important role into weather or not a product is even going to be made...getting a feel how it's accepted.
On the one hand, companies get a lot of traction from the internet for free. I'm not surprised it's used so well. Now a company doesn't have to make the product and distribute it out to sit in stores to find out if they have a hit. They'd much rather gauge Internet response since it doesn't cost anything. Get a big name to play it and it works even better!

But "selling the lifestyle", isn't that what it's all about? Being a musician especially - that's all it is to most people.

Gel-Sol

I'm gonna be at NAMM, and ready to try out some drums! I think there's gonna be a VR drum app there too, which sounds interesting.

My wife and I and some friends own a synthesizer store in Seattle (Patchwerks), so we'll be mainly dealing with the modular synthesizers, but I'll be out and about, especially checking out the drums!

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'm gonna be at NAMM, and ready to try out some drums! I think there's gonna be a VR drum app there too, which sounds interesting.

My wife and I and some friends own a synthesizer store in Seattle (Patchwerks), so we'll be mainly dealing with the modular synthesizers, but I'll be out and about, especially checking out the drums!
It's like the world's biggest Guitar Center at 3PM when the schools let out nearby ;)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I thought about skipping it this year, but I did get a badge.

I'm not sure which day I'll be there. Likely Thursday though.

Just long enough to stop in and say hi.