Lars Ulrich

CarlitosBaterista

Junior Member
I also hated the snare sound on St. Anger and at first I did not get it. But then the explanation they give on the 'Some Kind of Monster' movie made me understand.

Bob Rock said something like "the objective of the album (sound wise) is to have a 'garage band' sound, and metallica is the band". They just wanted to finish a record, and the objective was to have a garage sound to it..so, from this perspective, I think they did pretty good...even though I would have liked the sound of the Garage Days Re-revisited EP much better, now that was a damn good raw sounding recording!

Peace.
 

Zardoz

Member
Stu_Strib said:
Are you serious? I think the bass drum on "One" is one of the best sounding rock bass drum sounds ever recorded. Compare it to Black Album....where did the bass drum go?????
The overall sound was crap, especially since the bass and midbass were almost non-exsistent (example: like most of Rush's releases in the 80's), but I do like his punchy bass drum on that album.

I haven't listened to ...And Justice in years, so I'll have to check it out again, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about the overall sound of the album.
 
Dyaxe said:
Lars to me, does the job for metallica. he definetly can not be considered one of the best drummers around these day's, but aslong as he can drum for metallica im happy. listning to many of there bootlegs, you'l hear that he's getting quite lazy, such as not playing the proper begining to there song motorbreath, and sometimes not playing the double bass for dyers eve. i'd say he hit top notch during there ...and justice for all album, he definetly proved himself to be more then just your everyday thrash drummer. i give him credit for starting my favorite band, and also for keeping the energy in metallica. his drumming may be somewhat simple when comparing to other drummers, but his facial expressions will always be the best lol. I hope he can kick it back up on the their next album, to prove himself worthy of being a really good drummer. im a great fan through all of there albums, including the load era, st-anger, and S&M, and i hope it continues to be like that for there next album.
I agree. You arnt the drummer of one of the biggest bands ever for nothing. Hes awsome.
 
hey i no what i said before was pretty poor and actually if u listen to st. anger joey uses sum pretty fast double bass stuff in there. and i just finish watchin the some kind of monster dvd and it was totaly inspirin to play drums and guitar. wooo 'daddy plays dums' lars' kid is a rockin drummer
 

intooder

Senior Member
CarlitosBaterista said:
I also hated the snare sound on St. Anger and at first I did not get it. But then the explanation they give on the 'Some Kind of Monster' movie made me understand.

Bob Rock said something like "the objective of the album (sound wise) is to have a 'garage band' sound, and metallica is the band". They just wanted to finish a record, and the objective was to have a garage sound to it..so, from this perspective, I think they did pretty good...even though I would have liked the sound of the Garage Days Re-revisited EP much better, now that was a damn good raw sounding recording!

Peace.
I think Mr. Rock might've made a verbal typo in calling that a "garage" sound instead of a "garbage" (can) sound.

Speaking of the Master of Puppets album, I was at a dream theater concert a few years back (6 degrees of inner turbulence tour), and their entire second set was them covering that album. They sounded pretty good, although they didn't improvise a whole lot which got a bit tiring.
 

Zardoz

Member
Yes, the difference was clear as day. Why? Because they're not really 'metal' anymore and they're 20 years older. Then again, Neil Peart is in his 50's and can still play songs like LaVilla Strangiato note-for-note. That version of Master is more 'grooving', but come on..........just.........not good.

Note to Hetfield: For the love of God stop trying to sing and just yell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone has to get it through to this guy. Or, maybe he damaged his v.c.'s from all those years of screaming. Who knows.....regardless.....it needs to stop.
 

Symbolic

Member
Zardoz said:
Yes, the difference was clear as day. Why? Because they're not really 'metal' anymore and they're 20 years older. Then again, Neil Peart is in his 50's and can still play songs like LaVilla Strangiato note-for-note. That version of Master is more 'grooving', but come on..........just.........not good.

Note to Hetfield: For the love of God stop trying to sing and just yell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone has to get it through to this guy. Or, maybe he damaged his v.c.'s from all those years of screaming. Who knows.....regardless.....it needs to stop.

Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour.

The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.
 

tambian89

Senior Member
Symbolic said:
Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour.

The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.
Exactly! Regardless of their new style, they should still be able to perform their old music. Part of the reason Lars isn't as good is because he changed his setup, and his newer songs do not utilize double bass(with the exception of those St. Anger, but I hate that album, so eh) and the fills he used to do. Lars would probably be amazing right now if Metallica had picked up where ...And Justice For All left off. Think about it; he was getting faster and faster (I noticed it even while the were on tour for Justice), and a lot better while on tour. If the "Black" album had never been created, I expect we would have a much different opinion of Mr. Ulrich.

- Marc
 

ventor

Member
That´s exactly what I think, because his drumming on Justice was far more than just solid... It was really good, and he could play fast as well as a bit technical. Seeing the DVD for the Black Album tour, his drumsolo really amazed me. he was damn fast with his feet, and the sound of his drums was also great ;-)
they should have stopped after that, the black album was ok imo, but the rest?? not really
 

Zardoz

Member
Symbolic said:
Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour. The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.
Actually, what I said by Metallica "not really being 'metal' anymore" makes perfect sense. Did you notice how I said 'metal' ???? The meaning of "being metal", not necessarily playing metal music. I thought you guys would've caught that. Soon as they got to the top they got lazy, they have no hunger anymore and they're also corporate wh*res.......all those things aren't METAL. In other words, they don't give a rat's behind about playing their old songs good anymore, or playing good music at all. Woooooooooo! Thanks kids. *bows* Goodnight.
 

tambian89

Senior Member
Oh yeah, anyone ever notice that Lars used a ride cymbal on Kill 'Em All, and Ride the Lightning, and never used one again? With the exception of Welcome Home's intro and the breakdown of Disposable Heroes on Master of Puppets, he does not use it at all on any of the other albums.

- Marc
 

D A D O

Member
Yeah Lars plays on Tama but I heard he recorded black album with Gretsch bass drums. He even played on Sabnian hi hats on that album. Of course he plays on Tama, Zildjian, Remo and Ahead but only live. I read somwhere where he said he only play with Ahead sticks live but when recording he uses wodd sticks because cymbals sound better.

I think Lars is a great drummer, he's got something in his style. I don't like his some of his live fills though.
 

D A D O

Member
I don't like his St. anger kit but the silver one i really liked. I dont like the fact he removed ride cymbal.

I really dig silver sparkle kit man.
 

tambian89

Senior Member
I guess no on really cares about his setup change. I, however, really do. I know Lars would play a lot better on his old setup; also, instead of a ride, he has a china in it's place. Even on the Justice tour, he did not use a ride.

- Marc
 

mikei

Gold Member
tambian89 said:
I guess no on really cares about his setup change. I, however, really do. I know Lars would play a lot better on his old setup; also, instead of a ride, he has a china in it's place. Even on the Justice tour, he did not use a ride.

- Marc
I care!

Metallica started dying after puppets. And Justice was still pretty good, but far from Puppets or even their older albums.

Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Puppets had so much influence from Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine. When Cliff died, they lost such a key player. Of course they got a much better lead guitarist in Hammett, but they lost a great song writer.

I only listen to their first 4 albums. Everything else is so cookie cutter. And the drumming is far from what it used to be.

I have 4 bootleg live DVDs of Metallica from before 1990. His playing was much better and more precise than my 1993 DVD for the Black album.

What a shame. Somehow though, the fans still love them. I just don't get it.
 

tambian89

Senior Member
mikei said:
What a shame. Somehow though, the fans still love them. I just don't get it.
It's interesting you said "What a shame", because this is exactly what I think of when I think about Metallica. I look at pictures of Master of Puppets and the entire band in their youth; they seemed so much happier. I actually feel depressed when I think of what Metallica has become.

Now onto the setup issue: Lars may have changed his setup for 2 reasons.

A) After the band played the song "And Justice for All", they got off stage very tired from the length of the song. James immediately said "We're never playing that $*@%ing song again!" Lars also doesn't play the rolls on the toms when he plays "One" live (the decrescendos towards the end which were recorded for the album).

B) Metallica's newer material (post - Black Album) barely even uses the toms or double bass. Lars may have thought he would never need the two "extra" toms again.

Either way - I'm still pissed. The old set was so cool!

- Marc
 
Top