Lars Ulrich using DW Hardware

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hello everyone.

Is there anyone who knows how to have a space of 1 or 2mm to have a little sustain and sizzle with a Drop Clutch as Lars Ulrich does it please ... I'm attaching a photo. Here.

PS:I hope I do not need to change Hi-Hat for Extra-Heavy Weight like Lars Hi-Hat, a 14 '' Dyno Beat from the Z Custom series ???
Easiest way to do it is to add cymbal felts above the bottom hats.

V-Four

Take a good look at the "making of the Black Album" videos. The WHOLE KIT is a Gretsch, except the snare. This is no secret, it was mentioned by Lars in drumming mags from the era.

And look at old pics of Lars kit from the eighties,
he's using that Rogers drop clutch pictured above, or is it a vintage dw?

I have no opinion on Lars's drop clutch, but just looking at that posture makes my back hurt.
( I'm not raggin on him, always been a fan of his since the 80's, well, was a fan IN the 80's).

T.

Johnrock

I do not think that adding felts between cymbals or a Percussion Plus Tongue Extension is what it does? I have already tried the felt on the Bottom hat but it choked a little in addition to finding the right for the right height. But we can see that when Lars Hi-Hat is wide open, there is nothing between the two cymbals (see the picture from live), HH905 stand, Z Dyno-Beat Hi-Hat cymbals, DW Drop Clutch. That's all !!!. The Dyno Beat have round bells and that's what makes his Hi-Hat move a lot from the bottom up but the fact that he has space between the 2 with a Drop Clutch says not how. In an interview, I read that we must leave loose between the felts of the Clutch fixed on the cymbal Top. I was also told about the adjustment screw under the Hi-Hat, the back to make an angle to have at least on one side, a small space but the cymbals are decalled. We see the Bottom overtake the top from below and it's really not big sizzle I do not like that too. Unless a change on the Rod or Drop Clutch, I do not see how to have a space of 1.5. 2mm between the 2 Hats, apart from a standard Clutch that can be screwed to the desired height.
If anyone knows how to do it or has done it, do not give up. Needs your opinion.

Attachments

SYMBOLIC DEATH

The pic above looks like the drop lock is engaged, so there isn't anything tricky going on. If you disengage it, the top cymbal would drop down. I may be missing something in your question.

Jbravo

I do not think that adding felts between cymbals or a Percussion Plus Tongue Extension is what it does? I have already tried the felt on the Bottom hat but it choked a little in addition to finding the right for the right height. But we can see that when Lars Hi-Hat is wide open, there is nothing between the two cymbals (see the picture from live), HH905 stand, Z Dyno-Beat Hi-Hat cymbals, DW Drop Clutch. That's all !!!. The Dyno Beat have round bells and that's what makes his Hi-Hat move a lot from the bottom up but the fact that he has space between the 2 with a Drop Clutch says not how. In an interview, I read that we must leave loose between the felts of the Clutch fixed on the cymbal Top. I was also told about the adjustment screw under the Hi-Hat, the back to make an angle to have at least on one side, a small space but the cymbals are decalled. We see the Bottom overtake the top from below and it's really not big sizzle I do not like that too. Unless a change on the Rod or Drop Clutch, I do not see how to have a space of 1.5. 2mm between the 2 Hats, apart from a standard Clutch that can be screwed to the desired height.
If anyone knows how to do it or has done it, do not give up. Needs your opinion.
I use a second right side hihat. There is no pedal, but the DW mount allows you to adjust the gap by moving the top black lever left or right from center. In this case it’s mounted on a lightweight pdp stand, but if I remember right, it was intended to mount on an arm clamped to a cymbal stand. It works really well, but the down side is you need another pair of hats...

8321B7D7-39AD-4852-8514-8BA1BC13E6F5.jpeg