Lars Ulrich using DW Hardware

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have seen many drummers bio listing drum brand X and DW peddls or hardware etc. No big deal.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Sometimes you use whatever you get on the road. What funny is that my IC hi-hat rod is thinner than my DW 5000, so I cant interchange them, but this doesnt seem to be he case here.

What I thought was more interesting are the Sabian cymbals he is using in the studio videos for the new album.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Bermuda plays Ludwig and doesn’t hide the fact that he uses a Taye pedal. As do I. Lol

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
He's always used the DW drop clutch because DW was the first company to make a drop clutch back in the 80's long before anyone else did.

Tama doesn't even make a drop clutch.

Sometimes you use whatever you get on the road. What funny is that my IC hi-hat rod is thinner than my DW 5000, so I cant interchange them, but this doesnt seem to be he case here.

What I thought was more interesting are the Sabian cymbals he is using in the studio videos for the new album.
I believe he used a Sabian hi-hat on the videos from the making of The Black Album, and Gretsch kick drums on the Load/Reload sessions.

He's always used the DW drop clutch because DW was the first company to make a drop clutch back in the 80's long before anyone else did.

Tama doesn't even make a drop clutch.
If only I knew how to multi quote.

So I guess Tama hasn't convinced LU to use the drop clutch pedal :)

spelman

I believe he used a Sabian hi-hat on the videos from the making of The Black Album, and Gretsch kick drums on the Load/Reload sessions.
Take a good look at the "making of the Black Album" videos. The WHOLE KIT is a Gretsch, except the snare. This is no secret, it was mentioned by Lars in drumming mags from the era.

And look at old pics of Lars kit from the eighties,
he's using that Rogers drop clutch pictured above, or is it a vintage dw?

Last edited:

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Tama did make a drop clutch, it looked just like the Rogers one, with the lever going vertical. The one in the older photo may have been that Tama one. He probably just likes the DW one better?

I don't know if Tama still offers a drop clutch or not, they did have a drop clutch pedal for a while too. Worked kind of the same way, just with an extra add-on to your hi hat stand.

I have a Gibraltar drop clutch on my studio kit because Yamaha doesn't make one. I just took the Gibraltar wing nut out and replaced it with a Yamaha one to disguise it.

Last edited:

spelman

Tara did make a drop clutch, it looked just like the Rogers one, with the lever going vertical. The one in the older photo may have been that Tama one. He probably just likes the DW one better?

I don't know if Tama still offers a drop clutch or not, they did have a drop clutch pedal for a while too. Worked kind of the same way, just with an extra add-on to your hi hat stand.

I have a Gibraltar drop clutch on my studio kit because Yamaha doesn't make one. I just took the Gibraltar wing nut out and replaced it with a Yamaha one to disguise it.
I've followed Tama hardware innovations for over 30 years but have never seen a Tama drop clutch.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/index.html

I do however, have a Yamaha drop clutch, looks just like this:

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Any Gretsch player (such as myself) will use other hardware as they don't make their own. I use a mix of good brands (Tama stands, DW5k pedals) to go with my good brand of drums.

Not surprised to see Lars using different hardware. As long as Tama is cool with it, rock on!