kickport on a 22'' bass drum

Nealio1987

Hi all , just wondering if anyone else has any expierience on kickports ?

I have just bought one for my live kit and think that I need to add some mateiral inside the bass drum ... but wont this kill a bit of bass , when you buy a kickport to increase low end bass ??/ any advice / expierience of this product would be apreciated.

Nealios

Travis22

When I put my first kit port in I this problem. What ended up doing the trick for me was loosening the heads a bit. Mainly your batter side. You don't want it to be too loose that it has wrinkles, but just slightly past that point. And do the same with the reso head, but go a bit tighter. When I did this, my bass drum never sounded bigger! And what was even more intresting, I had to use absolutely no muffling what so ever. I do have a EMAD (I think, I'd have to look to be sure cause I go back and forth) head on the batter side that has one of the small foam rings in it, but that's it.

Good Luck, and let us (or me) know what ends up working for you.

kgk1958

I have a Kickport installed on my 22" bass drum. I'm using an Evans EMAD batter head and and Evans EQ4 resonant head. All of the FOH guys that have heard it have loved it. We played an outdoor festival a few weeks ago and my kit was one of two backline kits. I mic'd the bass drum with an Audix D6. Since other drummers were playing my kit during the day, I had several opportunities to hear my kit in action and it sounded fantastic. Based on my experience, I highly recommend using a Kickport.

Nealio1987

Thanks for the replies people , well at the moment I am just using the standard Sonor Head that came with the drums so I think that has a lot to do with it ,I have tried differernt tunings , im gonna go start again once more I think because even with the standard heads I wanna slightly different sound , its starting to sound a bit more to what I want though...

Thanks once more for replying !!

Travis22

You may want to get a better head in the future. Just putting on a quality batter side head would change everything about that drum.

I like the sound of the kick with a port over one without it, however, I have never played on a kick drum with a screen on the reso side. Has anyone, and if so, does it sound any different from a port? I am a big fan of Danny Carey's playing and many times have seen him use screens, but never in a unmic'd situation, so I didn't know what it would sound like without all the subs and processing.