Kickport on 16" BD

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Still running the original Powerstroke like heads on my Safari. An urban type drummer I know got a set after seeing mine but immediately put a hole in the front for micing it. Unless you hear it though the PA it doesn't carry at all. Whereas I've played mine in small bars fairly loud and it can be heard. The boom carries and sounds like something going on down there. Perforated and padded, it's just a dead slap that doesn't move enough air to be heard.

brady

Platinum Member
On a 16? The drum is not even in bass drum freq range, and putting a hole in the front head will further castrate it. You get the most bass with a full front head. Especially on a 16 bass drum. Save yourself the time, money and hassle, just leave it alone and tune the reso up kinda tight for a bass drum. Just an opinion, if you really want the kick port that's your call.
What Uncle Lar said...

I bought a used Sonor Safari a while back that had a Kickport installed on it; with an SKII on the batter side. I would imagine the boxes those products came in had more tone that that bass drum when I got a hold of it.

That head is way to small for a hole. I threw a couple single ply heads on it and it really sings. I would recommend going that route with it .

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
On a 16? The drum is not even in bass drum freq range, and putting a hole in the front head will further castrate it. You get the most bass with a full front head. Especially on a 16 bass drum. Save yourself the time, money and hassle, just leave it alone and tune the reso up kinda tight for a bass drum. Just an opinion, if you really want the kick port that's your call.

Phil2011

I think the an equivalent of using a kickport on a 16' bass drum is actually just taking the front head off ;)

I like my 16" bass drum wide-open as any ring you hear from the playing position is gone in a band situation or five feet in front of the kit as you play. I did a video of this phenomenon with my Breakbeats using a pinstripe on the batter side and an emperor on front with no muffling. I think it sounds great.
Hmmm...with that being said, i guess the kickport would look better that just pulling the front head off...

1morefunk

Hi phil. I have a 16" bass (its the Yamaha hipgig set, 16x22 deep). I put a the smaller size kickport dead center and it did not make a difference imo. ...and it looks funny. bad choice on my part) I would agree with bo about taking the front head off. the main thing that made my 16" sound better was getting aquarian superkickII(dbl ply), tuned fairly low, which helped bring out lower freq.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think the an equivalent of using a kickport on a 16' bass drum is actually just taking the front head off ;)

I like my 16" bass drum wide-open as any ring you hear from the playing position is gone in a band situation or five feet in front of the kit as you play. I did a video of this phenomenon with my Breakbeats using a pinstripe on the batter side and an emperor on front with no muffling. I think it sounds great.

edvia

Never tried one on anything that small, but I do have a kickport on my 20" bass drum and love it. Considering the relatively small head area of a 16" kick, perhaps it makes sense to try their FX2 series, which is a bit smaller than a standard kickport.

http://kickport.com/shop/fx2-for-floor-toms-and-base-drums/

(BTW, the anal side of me hates that they use 'base' instead of 'bass' in the URL). :)

Phil2011

Hi guys!
Has anyone installed a Kickport on a 16" bass drum?

Exactly where on the head did you mount it?

How much of an impact did installing one on a small diameter bass drum make?

Please share your thoughts!

Attachments