kick snare ride. thats it.

Bionic Muffins

here lately i have been feeling really creative using just kick snare and ride with the ride where the first tom would normally be.

do you guys know of any other drummers that use this setup who i could check out and maybe get some more inspiration?

Bionic Muffins

well maybe i should just go with a hat instead of ride, little more versatile but i like washing out the ride.

drums are not my first instrument BTW. :eek:

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
When I set up for a quick practice session or rehearsal, I use a kick/snare/hats/ride configuration. I've gigged with a couple of singer-songwriters this way back in the day, too.

kettles

Gold Member
I would find it really hard not having the left foot hi hat, would feel like i have to keep the ride more steady, whereas with a left foot hat you can vary up the ride a bit. At least that's how I find it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
here lately i have been feeling really creative using just kick snare and ride with the ride where the first tom would normally be.
Kick, snare and ride? Luxury? When I was a wee lass I was lucky if I was given a shoebox to drum on!

Don't know of any kick/snare/ride players but here's a nice vid of someone playing kick/snare/hats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUy1OH-Hn1Q

Questlove and Steve Jordan lay down lots of straight ahead groove with very little toms play.

A case can be made for the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle for all of us. The simplest set up you are comfortable with is just fine. Play with it and see where it leads you. Like others have suggested, though, hi-hats are essential in my mind for a lot of good reasons. In fact, a hit-hat alone can be absolutely magic in the right hands.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I'm with a few other posters... When I strip down my kit, I leave the hi hats and my ride for cymbals. No toms or crashes or frilly stuff. Actually, once it a while I like to use a hanging tom as a "low tom" in some of those setups.

Minimal kits are way more fun than huge ones. Pure fact that cannot be disputed by anyone, especially sticks4drums.

burn-4

the guy from athlete (UK band) uses kick snare hats and ride occasionally I think

takes a tasteful drummer to play that set up and make it sound good!