Keith Jarrett, Please Be Quiet!

Boomka

Platinum Member
Hands down Elvin Jones had them ALL beat {Keith included} in the grunting, humming etc.. department Ken :}

I remember hearing him making these loud strange high pitched humming/whistling sounds and such during a ballad being played with his group Jazz Machine in a small club.....took me few minutes to zero in exactly where it was coming from. My buddies and I had a good laugh over it after we excluded the house air conditioning system and such......
There's a really rough recording of him with Sonny Rollins called Live at the Village Vanguard where it's clearly audible in the recording. At first listen, I had no idea what the hell it was until someone told me about Elvin. Years later, I got a chance to meet him and watch him up close by helping with a clinic, and was impressed with the range of sounds coming out of him.

JPW

Silver Member
As a grunter, groaner, whiner, hummer and sing-a-long-er, I think it's just fine. Sound engineers may disagree...
I have actually started to _learn_ how to do it. The idea is to help me phrase better during solos or even with comping. I'm just trying to find a way of doing it without the OHs picking it up. =P

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Since (in my opinion) the idea of an instrumentalist is to really talk through his/her instrument as if it was his/her voice, all this grunting and groaning and humming actually is a quite natural thing and I'm sure it can help with phrasing and generel expression and also groove greatly.

Thaard

Platinum Member
I do this too sometimes. These weird humming noises. Thankfully, I have noise gates on when I'm recording :p

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Yeah, I'm just going by the odd interview I have seen of pat Metheny. I;m never going to meet the man, so I couldnt care less what type of guy he is. He could be great, he just seemed a bit arrogant in the interviews, especially the way he tore into Kenny G. With good reason, but a bit uncalled for, some of Pat's earlier work isnt too far off what kenny does!

JPW

Silver Member
Yeah, I'm just going by the odd interview I have seen of pat Metheny. I;m never going to meet the man, so I couldnt care less what type of guy he is. He could be great, he just seemed a bit arrogant in the interviews, especially the way he tore into Kenny G. With good reason, but a bit uncalled for, some of Pat's earlier work isnt too far off what kenny does!
Ah, _that_ interview. Makes more sense now. I think he had a point though. =)

Steamer

Platinum Member
Like Bright Size Life with Bob Moses and Jaco? Sorry I couldn't resist LOL!

I hold nothing against Pat for tearing a strip out of the great pretender Kenny G....sorry never will :}

There's a big difference between arrogance and simply honestly calling things straight up as you see {or hear} them in this now overly politically correct world we live in........

phfreq

I personally would prefer not to hear those sounds when I listen to his records.

Thinking differently, it maybe his equivalent to a drummer's "dancing" to the groove while playing.

I'll prolly check out some piano forums and see what they think about Keith and his sounds while playing.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
That interview spread all over the internet, which wasn't Pat's intention, nor what he thought of when he said those things. Something like that was his comment on the subject, I don't remember exactly. I don't remember where he said it either.