Karen Carpenter Award Upsets John Bonham

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I think he's probably right.. Bonzo smacked the heck out of his kit.. and she was anorexic (which sadly led to her demise).. and probably would have passed out tying to match his power on the kit.. not to mention his technical chops.

but she was a much better singer than the mighty Bonham! ( and an accomplished drummer as well).. but polls are often nutty in any case.
I'm not sure I would be so quick to discount her chops. Bonzo was a very good drummer but his playing was a special style which made him more unique. Of course he was more powerful of a drummer. KC was a very accomplished and well rounded drummer.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
As far as Bonzo was concerned I believe he really didn't care about KC, or any Playboy award.

To put Bonzo (and LZ) into perspective, for those who weren't of age in the 70's 'every' band, literally every band lived in the shadow of Zeppelin, and practically the whole decade, there was no bigger band as the 70's got larger. There were bigger, better drummers, but in the roll of drummer and his band Bonzo was at the top.
Meh, stats show this to be incorrect. 1973-1976 Deep Purple were the biggest selling LIVE act. You may be right about album sales though.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Well don't forget Bonzo played with/for Lulu once. Plays for the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT9JuLhuW6g&list=PLFE075FA5DA63DA04
Fair nuff. I can't knock JB - always loved his playing, but I hear that he got some people's noses out of joint with his volume before he joined Zep.

If you check out the Dick Carpenter Trio when they were starting out and watch KC play with feather-light touch while imagining JB taking her place, I suspect "Dick" (yikes), who was known to be a control freak, worrying a tad :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGVPxbFENM

Great drummer for LZ, but I don't think the Carpenters and he would have been a match made in heaven.

Brian

Gold Member
Meh, stats show this to be incorrect. 1973-1976 Deep Purple were the biggest selling LIVE act. You may be right about album sales though.
I would also argue that as the 70's went on, Aerosmith was peaking (74-77) while Led Zeppelin's best albums were already behind them (PG was a great double LP, no question). Jimmy Page was strung out and frail, Robert Plant lost his son....and to top it off, the music industry hit a profound slump around that time too. Not the best of times in the latter 70's