K Sweet - Crashes

Mustion

Looking for a little advice here:

My crashes at the moment are K dark thins, 18 and 19. Obviously, awesome cymbals in general but while I think the 18 is perfect the 19 is just a little too washy for what I play, and actually covers the same ground as my K Sweet ride when I crash that.

I'm thinking of downsizing to a 17 and 18 setup for a little more punch. However, as I look at the used market I see that K Sweets can be found for not a whole lot more, so I'm wondering if I should just replace both crashes with those and call it a day.

This would be a sell-and-replace deal so if I jump into the K Sweet end of the pool, the 18 would have to go; it would have to be worth it. So to those with experience: given that both are the same size, what are the primary differences between a K dark thin and a K Sweet?

yammyfan

The K Sweet crashes are superb (I've got the 17") and I plan to own them all before long. They integrate well with regular K crashes.

The only thing I would note is that they're thinner than the K Dark Thins - more like paper thins - so they open up quickly without having to bash them hard, but they decay a little more quickly too. Almost like a fast crash but with more body.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mustion

The only thing I would note is that they're thinner than the K Dark Thins - more like paper thins - so they open up quickly without having to bash them hard, but they decay a little more quickly too. Almost like a fast crash but with more body.
How do they compare volume-wise, to your ear? Cymbal Marketing Jargon has taught me that bigger raw bells like on the K Sweet translate to a cymbal with more 'projection' but I wonder if that's canceled out by being thinner.

yammyfan

How do they compare volume-wise, to your ear? Cymbal Marketing Jargon has taught me that bigger raw bells like on the K Sweet translate to a cymbal with more 'projection' but I wonder if that's canceled out by being thinner.
They're definitely quieter - maybe 5% softer than dark thins. It's not a huge difference though. They still get plenty loud if you want them too.

Have you seen Nick D'Virgilio's review of them on YouTube? It's quite good, I think.

Mustion

They're definitely quieter - maybe 5% softer than dark thins. It's not a huge difference though. They still get plenty loud if you want them too.
Hmm... I might stick to K thins then! I love my 18 so I'd be loath to sell it anyway.

Love that K Sweet ride though. They hit it out of the park with that one. Man what a cymbal.

yammyfan

Hmm... I might stick to K thins then! I love my 18 so I'd be loath to sell it anyway.

Love that K Sweet ride though. They hit it out of the park with that one. Man what a cymbal.
I'm looking forward to picking one up. The 20" K Ride is gorgeous but it doesn't crash well for me.

Which size did you go with, the 21" or 23"?

Mustion

I'm looking forward to picking one up. The 20" K Ride is gorgeous but it doesn't crash well for me.

Which size did you go with, the 21" or 23"?
The 21", which is pretty much my upper size limit for a ride cymbal.

And I agree about the standard 20" K ride, which I also was replacing. That one does have a better ping and a bit more of a "solid" feel to it but that stands to reason, as the K Sweet is ridiculously crashable. And LOUD. But what sold me was its bell, which just felt better to me. I always thought the 20" kind of lacked in that regard.

Really, they both have their great qualities and if I were more indulgent I'd just set them both up. But the 20" is now part of my club kit which is a good match.