K Custom Dry Complex Ride II

leoyucht

Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting a K Custom Dry Complex Ride soon. I was planning on using it was my main ride but I am not sure. They have two options - 22 & 24. I would by default go with the 22 because it is a more standard size, but the 24 has sound files that I can hear for the exact cymbal I would be getting. I am worried that the 24 will get too washy. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cymbals or wanted to offer any insight to my decision.

Thanks,
Leo

FlamFlamMan

Hey,

I have the 22" and I would say its one of the washiest ride cymbals I've ever owned. Its a very cool dark cymbal with lots of nice overtones. I'm keeping mine around in case I ever start to play jazz or blues again so it currently doesn't get much use. I've mostly been playing different styles of rock and it just doesn't have the stick definition or cut. Still, it makes a pretty cool big crash when I feel like it.

Personally, I would avoid the 24". First off, its a very washy cymbal and I would be afraid the 24" would be hard to control. I've heard (rumor) that they redesigned the Dry Complex Ride into the DCR II because the first version was too hard to control. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with 24" rides. On one hand they do sound cool, but they are just too big. Taking up a lot of room on the kit is bad enough, but then you have to get a cymbal bag/case big enough to hold them. The size eliminates a lot of the best cymbal bags/cases because the standard size is 22".

Good luck

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think they shoulda' called it the "K Customized Dryness Complexity Ride Mark II". You can never have enough ink on those things ;)

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting a K Custom Dry Complex Ride soon. I was planning on using it was my main ride but I am not sure. They have two options - 22 & 24. I would by default go with the 22 because it is a more standard size, but the 24 has sound files that I can hear for the exact cymbal I would be getting. I am worried that the 24 will get too washy. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cymbals or wanted to offer any insight to my decision.

Thanks,
Leo
I have a 24 and absolutely love it. However, it took some time to find "the one" and then more time to get to know it well (e.g., find it's sweet spots, adapt my touch to control it, experiment with different sticks, etc.). She would do well with a rivet but I haven't been able to bring myself to get it drilled. ;-) It's definitely not an "all-around" ride cymbal and I've not used it as my main but it has been a lovely addition to my collection.

I've played several of the 22s but never found one I liked well enough. Good 22" versions of this cymbal seem to be much harder to come by (Bill Stewart must have all of them ;-).

Good luck--let us know what you end up with.

leoyucht

Hey,

I have the 22" and I would say its one of the washiest ride cymbals I've ever owned. Its a very cool dark cymbal with lots of nice overtones. I'm keeping mine around in case I ever start to play jazz or blues again so it currently doesn't get much use. I've mostly been playing different styles of rock and it just doesn't have the stick definition or cut. Still, it makes a pretty cool big crash when I feel like it.

Personally, I would avoid the 24". First off, its a very washy cymbal and I would be afraid the 24" would be hard to control. I've heard (rumor) that they redesigned the Dry Complex Ride into the DCR II because the first version was too hard to control. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with 24" rides. On one hand they do sound cool, but they are just too big. Taking up a lot of room on the kit is bad enough, but then you have to get a cymbal bag/case big enough to hold them. The size eliminates a lot of the best cymbal bags/cases because the standard size is 22".

Good luck
I have been planning on getting the KCR II, not the I anyways. I play jazz which is why I want to invest in a cymbal like this.

leoyucht

I have a 24 and absolutely love it. However, it took some time to find "the one" and then more time to get to know it well (e.g., find it's sweet spots, adapt my touch to control it, experiment with different sticks, etc.). She would do well with a rivet but I haven't been able to bring myself to get it drilled. ;-) It's definitely not an "all-around" ride cymbal and I've not used it as my main but it has been a lovely addition to my collection.

I've played several of the 22s but never found one I liked well enough. Good 22" versions of this cymbal seem to be much harder to come by (Bill Stewart must have all of them ;-).

Good luck--let us know what you end up with.
Thanks for the tip. I may have to go with the website that gives me the sound file just because I will know what cymbal I am getting, but I don't know! In the end, you get some good cymbals and some bad cymbals, right? It's kind of a mystery.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I agree the 24" may be too washy unless you KNOW you want it.

The 22" DCR's I've played around on in stores are very cool. But. It's one of the cymbals I would say is made for jazz and not 'polite' or subdued jazz. I personally couldn't see playing this cymbal in say a Bill Evans context. Not saying you couldn't use it in other genre's but you'd have to really want the color.

More importantly you have to spend time with this cymbal and work things like stick angles and cymbal sound topography (my somewhat pompous term) into getting it to speak the right way. Not a plug and play cymbal.

My .02

Jim

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
BTW: This is a great site for sound samples of the kind of cymbals you are looking for.

Don't neglect the other non-Zildjian choices, You may find what you want in an Agop Istanbul or other brand cymbal.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Thanks for the tip. I may have to go with the website that gives me the sound file just because I will know what cymbal I am getting, but I don't know! In the end, you get some good cymbals and some bad cymbals, right? It's kind of a mystery.
Yeah, there can be lots of variation from cymbal to cymbal. But as a jazz musician, your ride cymbal is a huge part of your sound and your identity on the instrument. So it's super important to find something that will fit the bill for what you want that sound to be.