Just tried maple sticks for first time, love the way my drums sound

Metamega

So, went to the music shop today and decided to pick up a set of 5a maples, normally playing hickory with the only other experience being red hickory. My meridian maples still have the stock pinstripes after a ec2 experimenting gone wrong. I found from the drivers seat that the maple sticks seemed to give more of a nice punchy round tone. Less of that clip right attack that I'm not such a fan of I guess since I hated those resonant choking ec2's. My meridian maple had a coated g2 on it which was another experiment gone wrong which resulted in me using my chad smith since I was too lazy to switch I back to a g1 the past 2 weeks. With the maples, the g2 livened up with a nice round pop and just the perfect amount of resonance and ring. The maples seem to absorb more impact resulting in less rebound but I coul get use to it. Makes me use the fingers a lot more. Overall I think I'm in love with them. Might not be an all around choice of stick but a nice change for now. I always see everyone reference sticks for feel but anyone prefer their stick for the sound they produce?

Mark_S

Silver Member
I tried some recently too - I'm quiet liking the Vic Firth SD9 Drivers at the minute. Its a thicker stick but fairly light. I've used them a few times at gigs and they're still going strong. I thought they wouldn't last long playing rock.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The tips wear out a bit faster but the sound on the drums and especially the cymbals is something to savor.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I tried some recently too - I'm quiet liking the Vic Firth SD9 Drivers at the minute. Its a thicker stick but fairly light. I've used them a few times at gigs and they're still going strong. I thought they wouldn't last long playing rock.
I use Vic Firth SD 9 Driver for general playing, SD 2 Bolero for softer music and SD 1 General for practicing on the pad, they're all maple sticks and I've been using these since the late 80's, I love them :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I love maple because I can play a larger stick without feeling like I'm swinging an axe handle.

I've started using nylon tipped sticks a bit for practice because the wood tips do wear faster than hickory, but the sound and feel is hard to beat.

Big Foot

Silver Member
I love maple because I can play a larger stick without feeling like I'm swinging an axe handle.

I've started using nylon tipped sticks a bit for practice because the wood tips do wear faster than hickory, but the sound and feel is hard to beat.
Same here.
One down side is they don't absorb shock as well as hickory. It doesn't bother me - just an observation.

Typo

Same reason for me, I don't care much about the difference in sound as long as I love the feel. I'm planning on buying some big maple CDX sticks soon because I can't find them large enough. Most major brands don't go over 5B, and I'm looking for 2B+.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
One observation I've made about maple is that in cymbals it tends to leave out a lot of the wash when riding on the body. It's lack of density keeps the extra tones from being pushed out, and you're left with a woodier, darker ping.

I use SD4's, in line with Steve Gadd's signature stick design, and those sticks make everything darker, in particular my ride. So nice.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Same reason for me, I don't care much about the difference in sound as long as I love the feel. I'm planning on buying some big maple CDX sticks soon because I can't find them large enough. Most major brands don't go over 5B, and I'm looking for 2B+.
You should try an SD1/Concert, it's similar to a 2B and easy to find.

Jookbox

Pioneer Member
I used to love maple sticks. Especially the Vic Firth SD1. Lightweight but have a large diameter. The major problem is that they wear out and break MUCH faster. I'm a medium-hard hitter, so that's probably why.

Zickos

Gold Member
I've been using Regal 5-B Maples for a few years now. I have a pair I have been using for a few months in my bag as well as an unused pair. Recently I accidentally grabbed one of each. Couldn't tell any difference in sound or feel. I don't buy that the tips wear out faster. Could be they have a larger tip than most. I don't love my sticks. I love my wife and kids. I like my sticks very much.