Just seen Vinnie with his mate Sting

Davo-London

Gold Member
Fab drumming throughout. No solos. Just solid grooves and great interpretations.

You gotta love Vinnie.

Actually Sting was rather splendid. His voice was as good as I've heard before.

Great gig - I've got the T-shirt to prove it!
Davo

kauaiplayer

Wish I'd have seen that! Sounds like it was a great time.I drug out Ten Summoner's Tales a few weeks ago after someone posted a live Seven Days vid here on DW. I had forgotten how much I loved that album.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Did you happen to notice his drums and cymbals? Was he still playing the Gretsch kit and A Customs?

There is much speculation over some reported changes in "camp Vinnie" .....a shift to Ludwig drums being one. And a few of the keen eyed over at Cymbalholic seem to think his new logo-less cymbals look suspiciously like Paiste 602's.

Were you able to drop your gaze from Vinnie's awesomeness long enough to notice his set up by any chance?

Davo-London

Gold Member
Well the kick drum was defo a Gretsch. So it's fair to assume the rest of the drums were Gretsch. I couldn't see the cymbals' brand.

Ten Summoner's Tales is a great album and he played Fields of Gold tonight.

Davo

MikeM

Platinum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itF5TiuuxaU&feature=related

This vid show's a Gretsch, too (looks like the same show).

You know, the conversation comes up often enough here about how to play covers and how close should you stick to the original and all that. In my opinion, VC has given this song a more C&W flavor in the chorus's than the original Copeland vibe. I have a hard time believing Vinnie isn't keenly aware of it, so either Sting's telling him to do it, or he's taking it upon himself. Either way, I'll take Copeland's version over that any day.

(not that I'm not a total Vinnie fan, because I am. I'm just sayin')

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Gretsch drums, but no logos on the cymbals........
But... that china still has the Paiste logo on it - right around 3:45.

Busted!
This vid show's a Gretsch, too
Well, he's definitely still using the Gretsch kit then.

Cymbals are indeed mysterious though.

Adding fuel to this fire is the removal of Vinnie's name from the artist profiles of both the Gretsch and Zildjian websites. And the removal of the Gretsch and Zildjian links from Vinnie's website.

I do love me a good conspiracy theory.

To quote Lewis Carroll, "Curiouser and curiouser."

dwsabianguy

In my opinion, VC has given this song a more C&W flavor in the chorus's than the original Copeland vibe. I have a hard time believing Vinnie isn't keenly aware of it, so either Sting's telling him to do it, or he's taking it upon himself. Either way, I'll take Copeland's version over that any day.
You know, I couldn't really tell what I was hearing - I kept getting distracted by the ol' singin' woman. But, what does C&W mean in this case?

Davo-London

Gold Member
Accordingly to Michael Miley (Rival Sons drummer) "if God was a drummer he would be Vinnie".

Nevertheless, I would expect Vinnie to play differently from Copeland. Sting is always rearranging his songs and so this wouldn't surprise me at all. He ended up playing Message in a bottle all on his own, playing a small guitar (spanish?).

Cheers
Davo