Just recieved a piece to my kit, should I exchange it?

tj64648

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of buying a new kit and I ended up buying a couple pieces first and will be waiting on the kick drum to come in. The piece I recieved was high-tom from a Crush sublime kit. I noticed that some of lugs are not centered and are tilted to the side somewhat. Can this affect the tuning process to where it's noticable? Should I exchange it for a different tom? Thanks.

THC

I would, if for no other reason than it's not right. That would bug the heck out of me. Especially if I bought new and paid full price.

Not sure on the tuning. At the minimum it could put unecessary and potentially harmful stress on the lug.

tj64648

I took a straight plastic piece and put up to the sides of the top and bottom lugs. Not one set of them were leveled together. One set was the close, but the rest was off. If i put the plastic piece flat on one side of a lug, the other top/bottom lug had about a 1/4 inch of space from the plastic piece to the lug on average. Overall the drum looks nice, but I'm starting to question their craftsmen ship. The x-clamp that is used to mount the tom is rough on some of the edges. Like it wasn't a perfect mold.

tj64648

I appreciate the feedback. The item has a 3 day return policy on ebay so I'll be contacting the guy. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't common thing on some drum-sets. It's been a while since I've owned a kit.

tj64648

Can you show us? Any pics?
I can post some tomorrow. I'm browsing the net on a playstation 3 which isn't capable of uploading pics. I contacted the guy and waiting for a response. He ordered a new kit that he's going to take the kick out for me to buy, so I'll just exchange this tom with that. I can say that it's definitely noticable to the eye. These kits retail for $1000 brand-new so I'd expect to see something better than this.

mrmike

Silver Member
I know nothing about the Crush Sublime line but the cost seems to be enough to expect better workmanship. I would send them back and look to get something else. I say this only because you purchased them on ebay and the chances of having one drum replaced might be difficult.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Send them back immediately. No excuse for new drums, or drums from a new Company to be built that way. The first set of Crush drums I saw were here at a drum clinic and the hardware wouldn't hold up the racks toms. Not sure about their lines of drums, but to bring one to a clinic for inspection by a lot of people seemed like a mistake. Anyway do yourself a favor and send them back.

kettles

Gold Member
Return it but send an email to Crush to see what they think? Just out of interest, plus they would appreciate the feedback. Write down the serial number before you send it back off.

The badge on my Mapex Saturn kick drum is off center by about 3mm. Lucky I'm not totally OCD!

tj64648

Return it but send an email to Crush to see what they think? Just out of interest, plus they would appreciate the feedback. Write down the serial number before you send it back off.

The badge on my Mapex Saturn kick drum is off center by about 3mm. Lucky I'm not totally OCD!
I'm not sure what would be the point of asking Crush what they think, but I do think I should leave some feedback about what I think.

Your Mapex Saturn badge is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. My concern is the lugs which could affect the tuning. That was my main concern. For drums at this price, i'd expect to see something better.

I'm sending the tom back tomorrow and for some reason the guy decided I should cancel the floor tom is well(which I was going to pay for tomorrow). He didn't even respond back to me about replacing the tom when I asked him. Oh well.

kettles

Gold Member
I meant it in a 'Hey Crush, check this out, what's the deal?" kind of way. I wouldn't be surprised if drums are occasionally sold off cheaper as flawed, and that's what you unknowingly ended up with.

The badge thing was just a side comment - ignore it.