Just got booked to play a Moose Lodge. What to expect?

Channing

Let us all know how it turns out.

I’m playing a frat party tonight.. not sure how that’s going to go either..

Ransan

Good deal! I hope I’m not stepping on uncle Larry’s toes.
You can expect club men, play your moose-ic and bring in the big “bucks” - remember not to much elkahol beforehand.

145drummie

We typically need to play quieter than usual when we are booked at any of these private fraternal-type organizations (Moose, Elks, Eagles, etc.). I'd let your guitarists know they can leave their half-stacks at home. I use one of my Acrolites instead of my Black Beauty just to keep the rim shots down at these joints.

They usually feed you, though.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Good deal! I hope I’m not stepping on uncle Larry’s toes.
You can expect club men, play your moose-ic and bring in the big “bucks” - remember not to much elkahol beforehand.
With humor like that, I'll donate my toes to the cause.

Elkahol. Moose-ic.

Pretty clever man.

Mustion

Not sure if it's still the case now but back in the day punk bands used to rent out Elks/Moose Lodges, VFWs, etc to put on shows. Although I think you'd be aware if that's what you were booked for...

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I would expect people to be just glassin. They will probably ask you to come down later for moose soup. You guys are doing good!

mrfingers

Depends on the area. One local Moose lodge had a head-banger metal band as the house band for a year, until a fight broke out with the band and a lodge member. I played at the other lodge where most members were in their late 30s-mid forties and we had to hide our guitar players from the women!

Icetech

Gold Member
you will have fun.. BUT.. if you show up without bullwinkle hats you are gonna get in some serious crap.. order them early!

pgm554

Platinum Member
Dance gig?
Be prepared to play anything requested from rock to polkas to swing.
Usually free bar for the band,just don't abuse it.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Expect lots of smoke. Private clubs don't have to follow smoking in public rules.
Have someone carry around the tip jar one time. They usually tip well.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Organizations like this vary wildly from chapter to chapter. Some can be sticks in the mud, some can be pretty crazy, and some will be trials by fire. You may be able to find the lodge on social media and the pictures, posts, etc. could give you some insight into who and what your audience will be. You (or whoever booked the gig) can always call and ask questions of the lodge management or officers.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
My buddy is a member of an Elks lodge. Good cheap food and drinks, cool older folks. They had quiet musical acts come, should be a good chill time...I bet they feed and water you well.

newoldie

Silver Member
I've played in SoCal Moose lodges a few times, pretty much what was said above by others who've played there. Sound was pretty loud, so not much amplification's needed.

Older people, not very dynamic, some dancing, many sitting at the bar just watching or clapping along. A few tips- no free food or drinks when I've played.

More like a live rehearsal for the group I was playing with at that time.

I hear that the Elks clubs are higher profile and better pay, but perhaps this varies depending on the locality.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I call those our "low & slow" gigs. Sort of like what we do when we play RV parks. Too loud and they'll yell at you, so keep it down & not too intense and you'll do great.

Mustion

I call those our "low & slow" gigs. Sort of like what we do when we play RV parks. Too loud and they'll yell at you, so keep it down & not too intense and you'll do great.
I call those "eat to the beat" gigs. Cocktail hours, corporate luncheons, etc.