Just did my first recording session.

Did my first recording session today and I must say it was hard work!
We had 6 hours to do the drums and we just did it! Quite a few mistakes and flaws and stuff which kinda annoy me, I feel I could've done more.

But I never knew how much pressure suddenly came on your shoulders when in the studio, seriously! It was so hard! I did like 9 takes on one song at one point and ended up changing the whole song completely. We have a Ska song which was HARD for me and the guitar-guide to follow. We were both going out of time, I was playing my hi-hats on one and everything else was everywhere and that took a couple of takes (eventually just leaving the hi-hats out).
But I noticed that I do alot of out-of-time stepped hi-hats, well... Not out of time but odd, which needs work. But we finally got them done, felt some tracks could be better but some were great!
Just wish there was more time to get drums done.

The Engineer loved my snare too and he was asking me tips on tuning it as it was "really beefy" and probably the best snare ever been in the studio! And he uses a Black Panther too, which was pretty cool.

Maybe if I don't make it as a drummer I should be a drum-tech? Haha

Leth

Its a totally different atmosphere in a studio eh? Glad it came together well though! Recording yourself shows all the tiny mistakes, I remember when I was recording some marimba solos I kept hearing this annoying tapping on the recording. Turns out it was me tapping my foot, didn't even know i was doing it!

uniin

Gold Member
don't give up on drumming, just be a drum tech on the side for some extra cash.

i did a session yesterday where i did the drum take in 3 takes. it all comes down to practice. make sure you always always ALWAYS record yourself to a click and listen carefully to anything thats slightly out of place.

Good job Chris. Recording is a whole different experience, and Im glad you enjoyed it.

I always joke with people when im recording with them, I say they call me 'one take'. Then I go on to explain that it might take me ten takes, but usually 'one take' is on the money ;)

drumkat

Well done on your first recording mate...

The studio is where you can really notice all your hrs of practicing with a metronome, practice pad and a copy of either "Master Sudies" or "Stick Control".

All the technical stuff you think is boring in the practice sessions really comes together.

The studio is all about accuracy, timing and maturity.

don't give up on drumming, just be a drum tech on the side for some extra cash.

i did a session yesterday where i did the drum take in 3 takes. it all comes down to practice. make sure you always always ALWAYS record yourself to a click and listen carefully to anything thats slightly out of place.
I usually do practice with a metronome and usually I am "tight" and most takes were tight, though when we were tracking the guitars we we're making mistakes and the computer would glitch and put me off at times, haha! But it was definitely hard!

Good job Chris. Recording is a whole different experience, and Im glad you enjoyed it.

I always joke with people when im recording with them, I say they call me 'one take'. Then I go on to explain that it might take me ten takes, but usually 'one take' is on the money ;)
True man! It was hard work, but for the first real recording I've done it was definitely hard and there's a few little mistakes, don't know if they are noticable but a few fills are noticeable. Hopefully everyone works out!

Its a totally different atmosphere in a studio eh? Glad it came together well though! Recording yourself shows all the tiny mistakes, I remember when I was recording some marimba solos I kept hearing this annoying tapping on the recording. Turns out it was me tapping my foot, didn't even know i was doing it!
Definitely! And the kick was dampened, I'm used to playing wide open so the extra rebound was quite hard to keep up with haha!

Well done on your first recording mate...

The studio is where you can really notice all your hrs of practicing with a metronome, practice pad and a copy of either "Master Sudies" or "Stick Control".

All the technical stuff you think is boring in the practice sessions really comes together.

The studio is all about accuracy, timing and maturity.
I think I have stick-control somewhere, but I have ALOT of exercise books I use alot.
I think if it was my own kit and set-up I would find it much easier, but who knows! Haha