Just curious -----------

I have a Guru drum, a second on the way.

I didn't plan on entering and diluting the chances for others to grab one of these exceptional instruments. I'd feel greedy and gluttonous for even entering.

That said, I just may enter anyway with the thought that on the off chance I'd win, I'd ask that you ship the drum to Mr. IP.

Andy the prize is amazing. Anyone who enters stands a great chance of winning. I really think that for most people, it's the "I'll never win so why bother" mindset. Which I can relate to.

Now if you changed the competition to submitting an essay for instance, I think you'd get a lot more entries. When people are asked to put their playing out there to be judged....maybe that's a bit daunting for some.

I plan on entering, I even have the video camera lined up. Time is something I haven't had as of late, as I finish up my second degree and write a five-year federal grant at my day job, plus all the little musical fires around town I get asked to put out... I have a cool idea, I think you'll like it, and I could always use another snare =)

3/ Don't think I'm good enough

This is it for me. While I like to think that I can keep good time and hold a steady groove I'm far from technical and shy away from competitions in general.

Although I have played for some length of time, I am not a great drummer. Or even what someone would call highly skilled. I play fairly well in the kind of music I have always played. There are far more deserving younger players for a contest such as this. The prizes are excellent, greatly to be desired, and deserve appreciation by the winners. I appreciate the gesture you make with the contest, and I appreciate the quality of what you build. Also the contributions you have made to the forum. I have quite a few snare drums currently, all high quality drums. It wouldn't feel right. And like others have said, I am just not THAT good.

Good luck to those who enter.

I can only answer for myself:

Sure, I've studied, and know all my rudiments, and this and that, but it comes down to I've always been a song drummer. Solos, and contests generally aren't my cup of tea. Playing 2 and 4 for a good song is.

While I'm 95% recovered from my shoulder injury, the last 5% has been tough to shake. So the few chops I do have are still pretty rusty.

Two kids, and wife, a full time job, finding the time is tough.

And I've seen enough videos in the Your Playing section to know 1/2 this board would do a far better job.

I saw the thread but did not read it.

I'm not much of a snare player so it held no interest to me.

Let me know when you have a Charlie Watts style competition and I'll be all over it. :)

The fact that this is not a "great playing" competition seems like it's being forgotten. What is really being judged is the creativity on getting different sounds from the drum. Like say playing a makeshift drum roll with 2 paintball guns. If you could do a double stroke roll you're in baby. Something that is not skill dependent, just creative. And hopefully the sounds..... sound cool.

Plus you only need to do stuff for one short minute. Me I'm putting Mexican jumping beans inside lol.

My reasons are two fold.

1. Not sure of the talent level to know if it is worth the bother.
2. Not sure my ideas, and I had a few rather unique, wouldn't be borrowed or expanded on by someone more talented. I would have liked to have seen the competition ended before any were published.

That said, I just may enter anyway with the thought that on the off chance I'd win, I'd ask that you ship the drum to Mr. IP.
Thanks, Larry. I'm not sure why you're calling me "Mr. IP," but I want you to know I appreciate the sentiment.

As for the contest, I honestly figured too many people would have entered. I guess it's like the pretty girl who doesn't get asked on dates because the guys figure she already has a boyfriend.

I am one of the entrants and it was easy to submit it. I am a self-taught hack with absolutely no chops, and usually not a lot of confidence in my playing, so if I dared to do it, most people on this forum should as well. What prompted me was that it is not about technical ability but making interesting use of a snare drum. Although the prize is really grand and very generous, I mainly participated for the fun of it and to add to the variety of the entries, knowing I probably don't have much of a chance - not enough creativity or dynamic variation in my entry I am afraid.

The fact that this is not a "great playing" competition seems like it's being forgotten.
Exactly Larry. Obviously, I failed to explain this properly, although I did go to great lengths to do so. It's not about the chops guys, it's about imagination.

I was pumped about this...even started working on my solo (it was going to rock!) But the rule about endorsing artists not being able to enter counted me out. If you're eligible then you should enter! The prize is amazing and the different categories really level the playing field. This contest is a great idea and someone is going home with a fantastic snare!
Yes, sorry about that Phil, but I hope you can see the conflict of interests :(

I would have liked to have seen the competition ended before any were published.
So, if I didn't publish entrants submissions unless you were the winner, you'd enter?

I mainly participated for the fun of it and to add to the variety of the entries
That's both great to hear, & most appreciated :)

Honestly I keep forgetting.
Full time work, school, what little free time with kids and/or music endeavors-this escaped my mind. And I seemed to be in this sleep depraved fog lately.
On my next set of off days I am going to make an effort to record something.

They all could have been published on the closing date and then the judges could go to work

Ok, message received. I've changed the rules so your entries can remain anonymous unless you win. Hopefully this will give those who are nervous about putting their stuff out there the confidence to enter, in the knowledge that only if they win, will their video be shown. Of course, if you elect for your video to be shown, that's cool, we'll publish it.

This means the requirement to post on the Guru Facebook page has been removed, & the only ones who will see your submission is me & the judging panel.

New rules can be read here: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

This is not a bleating thread, just genuinely curious. I put up a snare competition a while back. Although the competition isn't exclusively aimed at forum members, it was certainly the focus. I tried to make it accessible to all members, & craft it such that the entry process would be interesting & creative. Almost a little thank you for putting up with me.

The response has been far less than I anticipated. A few enthusiastic members have really jumped in with both feet, & I like that a lot. Don't get me wrong, if very few enter the competition, one of those enthusiastic members will win the prize, & that's kinda cool in it's own way. As of now, we have no entries in the under 16 or pro player categories, so any entry would be almost guaranteed entry into the final draw.

I'm interested in why so few have entered. I think the prize is more than worth the effort to enter, especially with such low odds of winning, or maybe the prize isn't that interesting - please tell me. Is entering too much of a hassle, or too difficult? I could have done some silly question thing with an obvious answer, but my thinking was to use creativity as something more interesting & inclusive than the usual stuff.

Anyhow, any insight is appreciated. It won't change the competition now, but it is useful if I decide to do it again.

Thanks, Andy.

I saw it and thought it looked like a great competition.

Also thought you would get a lot of applicants.

I didn't enter because I'm pretty crap at drumming. Simple as that.

If you posted is as a kind of daytime TV, Dickinson's Real Deals, style question, I would have :)

The reason I havent entered (yet) is because I believed I had until June 5th to get it in (unless I read the thread wrong).

I am trying to think of a concept and different ways of getting sound out of one drum before posting what I believe to be my best effort. I'd hate to post something then realise I couldve done far better.

This will be the only chance I imagaine I'll have to even try and get a Guru drum, so there is no way I am not entering this if I have more time :)

Back