Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz in Stranger Things 3

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
While watching Stranger Things 3, getting flooded with more 80's pop culture references and music has been part of the enjoyment. One of the scenes was especially fun to watch as Weird Al's 'My Bologna' is blaring. The drum track blew me away :D IMO you can't make a hit 80's era show that features some very smart and nerdy characters without some Weird Al.

Yankovic originally wrote the song while he attended California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California; the original version of the parody was recorded in 1979 in a bathroom across the hall from the radio station at which Yankovic worked. Yankovic sent "My Bologna" to Dr. Demento, who aired the song on his nationwide radio program, The Dr. Demento Show. The song was a hit on the program, and eventually gained the number one spot on Dr. Demento's "Funny Five" countdown. "My Bologna" was later re-recorded and released on Yankovic's debut album (1983), and the "bathroom version" was re-released on the box sets Permanent Record: Al in the Box (1994) and Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic (2017).

Bermuda, do you have any interesting stories you can share from the debut studio album session or supporting tour?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
My wife and I binge watched Stranger Things 3 as soon as it was released. That was so well played by the Duffer Brothers to use My Bologna especially in the context of the nerdy Hawkins Middle School Science Teacher, Mr. Clarke. I couldn't think of a more appropriate anthem for that scene. Hilarious!

Ditto. Nice chops Bermuda!

V-Four

Ahhh! (Plugging ears and closing eyes..which makes this a real pain to type, btw...)
I'm not on season 3 yet.. 3 more episodes of S2 to go...

T.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
While watching Stranger Things 3, getting flooded with more 80's pop culture references and music has been part of the enjoyment. One of the scenes was especially fun to watch as Weird Al's 'My Bologna' is blaring. The drum track blew me away :D IMO you can't make a hit 80's era show that features some very smart and nerdy characters without some Weird Al.

Yankovic originally wrote the song while he attended California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California; the original version of the parody was recorded in 1979 in a bathroom across the hall from the radio station at which Yankovic worked. Yankovic sent "My Bologna" to Dr. Demento, who aired the song on his nationwide radio program, The Dr. Demento Show. The song was a hit on the program, and eventually gained the number one spot on Dr. Demento's "Funny Five" countdown. "My Bologna" was later re-recorded and released on Yankovic's debut album (1983), and the "bathroom version" was re-released on the box sets Permanent Record: Al in the Box (1994) and Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic (2017).

Bermuda, do you have any interesting stories you can share from the debut studio album session or supporting tour?
The album was done on spec' with Rick Derringer producing and playing most of the guitars, we didn't have a permanent guitar player at the time. There was no attempt to make the parodies sound like the originals, and the accordion dominated everything. Al was signed less than a year later and the first tour started in May, 1983. I played My Bologna live as it appeared on the album, but eventually changed to the Bruce Gary parts.

Lots more to the story then and since, someday I'll write a book. :)

Bermuda

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
The album was done on spec' with Rick Derringer producing and playing most of the guitars, we didn't have a permanent guitar player at the time. There was no attempt to make the parodies sound like the originals, and the accordion dominated everything. Al was signed less than a year later and the first tour started in May, 1983. I played My Bologna live as it appeared on the album, but eventually changed to the Bruce Gary parts.

Lots more to the story then and since, someday I'll write a book. :)

Bermuda
You actually SHOULD write a book. In fact, I think it would be awesome to include interviews with the drummers from the bands you guys parodied the most, and the ones that ended up being your most popular parodies.

SirSwingsAlot

You actually SHOULD write a book. In fact, I think it would be awesome to include interviews with the drummers from the bands you guys parodied the most, and the ones that ended up being your most popular parodies.
Exactly what I’m saying! It would be so cool! By the way Bermuda I saw you here in Denver about a year ago and I must say the level of professionalism in your playing is unmatched. By that I guess I mean the combo of maturity, technique, and the way you cover other drummers so well. Congratulations

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Stranger Things: very cool 1 + 2.
But i can't stand 3: too much of a teenager drama - very exaggerated effects - just childish ....but it's only my old man opinion

toddmc

Gold Member
Stranger Things: very cool 1 + 2.
But i can't stand 3: too much of a teenager drama - very exaggerated effects - just childish ....but it's only my old man opinion
I wouldn't say I can't stand season 3 but they've definitely lost a bit of that genuine 80's vibe they captured in the first 2 seasons.