Jojo Mayer - Questions

Zord

Does anyone feel that Jojo Mayer is a proprietary type drummer?

Another way to put it. Is he onto something that no one else gets or is it to far out there in his approach for us to fully grasp?

Let me expand. I wanna use his drumsticks, (very unique dimensions) and have tried them a few times. But haven’t stuck with them. I really wanna get his Sonor drum pedal (unique as well compared to other pedals) but not sure if spending the money on a very specific type of drum pedal is a good investment.

The tools he uses goes against modern implements.

Are we all missing out if we don’t embrace these unique tools for playing? Are we missing that extra level?

What are you guys thoughts here?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Does anyone feel that Jojo Mayer is a proprietary type drummer?

Another way to put it. Is he onto something that no one else gets or is it to far out there in his approach for us to fully grasp?

Let me expand. I wanna use his drumsticks, (very unique dimensions) and have tried them a few times. But haven’t stuck with them. I really wanna get his Sonor drum pedal (unique as well compared to other pedals) but not sure if spending the money on a very specific type of drum pedal is a good investment.

The tools he uses goes against modern implements.

Are we all missing out if we don’t embrace these unique tools for playing? Are we missing that extra level?

What are you guys thoughts here?
I don’t think you’re missing out on anything if you don’t use his specific gear. In fact, if you watch the 2005 Modern drummer festival dvd where he played with Nerve, his bass drum pedal looked like a stock Pearl Eliminator with a single chain. So if he can do what he does on that pedal, then it ain’t the pedal. I say if you have gear you like that works for you, don’t switch to new stuff just because Jojo uses it. Make sure you can’t say what you want on the gear you have before searching for new stuff.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
My opinion about all those 'artist'-products is, that if you like them you should buy them, but you should never buy them with the idea that those products will make you play or sound in any way like the 'artist'..

If you can not play with a $80 pedal then you can also not play with a $250-300 pedal..

That theory goes for basically all drum gear in this case..

Michaelj

I think it all depends. If you play similar music to Jojo, and like the cymbals he uses, then those cymbals will get you closer to his sound.

Sticks are a pretty personal thing: they'll feel different in your hands because your hands are likely bigger or smaller than his, you're likely to be weaker or stronger in certain areas, so what is comfortable to him may not be to you.

My understanding of his pedal has always been that it is super smooth, so that you can use a slide technique easily. If you use heel toe, a different pedal might be better for you.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I saw him waaay before he had his own sticks and pedal. And he was a monster. At a winter NAMM, and he was demo'ing Sonor Giant Step pedals. Countless hours of practice, that's how he got there.​

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I saw him waaay before he had his own sticks and pedal. And he was a monster. At a winter NAMM, and he was demo'ing Sonor Giant Step pedals. Countless hours of practice, that's how he got there.​

It's never the pedal, the sticks, the drums or the cymbals. It's always YOU.

Don't worry about gear. The manufacturers are always trying to make it seem as if the new thing they have is the answer to all of your prayers.

Like Harry said, countless hours of practice is the answer.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It's never the pedal, the sticks, the drums or the cymbals. It's always YOU.

Don't worry about gear. The manufacturers are always trying to make it seem as if the new thing they have is the answer to all of your prayers.

Like Harry said, countless hours of practice is the answer.
Boom goes the dynamite.

Buy the right tools for the job you have in front of you.

While gear can sometimes hold you back, you aren't missing out on "next level" stuff by not purchasing certain gear (to a certain extent). I tried to listen to JoJo talk about drumming at a clinic on YouTube, and I think I made it 3-5 minutes into it before I realized I had no idea what he was talking about. He's an amazing drummer, but in what I do, I would never use anything he plays.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's all about what feels good to you and helps you achive the results you want..

Good pedal, it's not that revolutionary. I like a slight accelerator feel, but I can adjust my DW9000 to feel just as balanced.

His sticks are 5B thickness, but short enough to have, as he says, 5A weight. They're easy to play and work for a lot of techniques. I know a lot of female players who like them.

I'd try them out, but there's no law you have to like them, there are so many to choose from and there's a reason for that.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Yes, Jojo is on another level altogether. But here's a secret: He didn't get there playing his signature gear! He got there first, then got signature gear. So none of his ability can be ascribed to his pedal or sticks on anything.

I did go buy an Omni just in case, though.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Maybe it's me, but I didn't understood the OP statement the way people answered below. I'm not sure since it's not my language.

I understood that Jojo equipment and conception is very very much more specific than other artists. Meaning his sticks, pedal, and his set configuration are too unique to fit almost anyone else but Jojo.

When I watch jojo, I personally can't even project myself behind his kit, I didn't take any notice of his sticks.
This guy has loads of personality.

double_G

Silver Member
i think it's a fair statement, especially the short sticks he uses (i am using 16.75" sticks). But agree that Jojo could play on any gear & sound amazing. i think it's cool when drummers have set-ups or gear that is "unplayable" by most mortals. Like Larrie London (pedal tension) or Abe L Jr's set up. i will say that the power of the human mind to repeat a sound they are hearing in their head is unstoppable. gear, sh*t gear...it will happen over time.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Buying JoJos gear with any expectations of improvement is the same as buying a Babe Ruth Jersey and expecting to play like Babe Ruth.

The gear might inspire you to spend more time behind the kit which would yield improvement, but any piece of new gear that excites you will show similar results. Save your money.

WallyY

Platinum Member
It depends on what you were playing before you "upgraded".

It depends on how many pedals you've honestly used with enough time to know if it works or not.

How much would you have to unlearn from your old technique when changing to a new pedal?

I Went from a flimsy Singerland to a Rogers, to a Speed King, to a Sonor Phonic, to an Iron Cobra, to a Jojo, to a Speed Cobra.
I played them all for a long time before moving to another. The only pedal that didn't allow me to play better than the previous pedal was the Iron Cobra, and a Pearl Demon drive I had for about one week.

Sticks and pedals are probably the two things that will make you play much better if you find the ones that fit.

Thinking you need to get better on a what you have before getting something else is as bad as thinking you need the newest thing to get better. Both can be a waste of time.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Also, describe specific. You work it, it goes boom (thanks Martin)

It can be used anywhere.

Try it, sell it if you don't like it, and try again. Rinse and repeat until you're happy. What works for one human may or may not work for another, everybody is different.

Trial and error.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
My opinion is that if you can't do it with the tried and true gear drummers have been using forever, you're not really going to be able to do it with any new-fangled boutique gear. Even if it did work like that, you'd be limited to only playing on that gear to be good.

They might be great products, but you should use them because they work great for you, not because you want to play like Jojo. I wouldn't force yourself to adopt things that aren't clicking.

WallyY

Platinum Member
The Jojo pedal works for me. It's very convenient for me to fold it up every week to bring to band practice. The long board feels great. It has a great feel and balance and I can play fast with it.

Other than that, it's a terrible overprice perpetration.
The rubber pads fall off, the pedal folds up, grease gets on your fingers, The spring and loop get corrosion, it wobbles, and the tension adjustment loosens.

It should cost half fo what it is.

I knew a few drummers coming up who were always chasing after "Punky Whips" latest line of percussive do-dads and guess what? It did not make them a better player.

If you're looking to upgrade something and you have access to a good drum shop or even a (blech) Guitar Center or something, get in there, line everything up, and get busy working until you find what works for you.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
This question is intersting to me, because I was playing along the otherday and I realized hey this sounds kinda like Jojo. Though, I used to listen to him alot and had acquired a few cymbals to try to immitate, I hadn't practiced any of his licks in years.

I think bascically if you swap out toms for an extra hihat and a sharp accessory(in my case I use a cowbell), and you have a versatile ride(one you can get two or three sounds out of), you'll eventually converge on a Jojo type sound. More or less just playing cymbals, and sharp percussive things.

I think it was weird, because you really don't have to play the paradiddle based grooves. In my case I do alot of fast tresillo grooves, but when I play them on cymbals, it sounds like Jojo.